Replies

• marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do, so i can make combinations that fit in my daily limit
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I log in the AM all the food I packed for work: Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks. Then, when I figure out what I'm going to make for dinner I log that and plan my afternoon snacks logging them as well. I periodically go in and change it if I change my mind.... but I think this gives me a good "plan" for the day so I stay on track.
  • mama6k
    mama6k Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I logged beforehand a couple times and both times I changed my mind so I don't do that anymore. I log dinner while I'm putting it together though since I have to put the recipe in and then decide how much of a serving I am going to have depending on how many calories I have remaining
  • ashes2ashes83
    ashes2ashes83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do this too! :) I find it's the only way I won't go over. And I agree with the other posts - as long as you edit if you eat anything different/extra, I can't see a downside. It helps me to focus on the fact that I'm only allowed x number of calories and this is what x number of calories looks like. I am new to MFP but I used WW several times over the years and logged before eating.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes I log before I eat. Helps keep me honest. I also log workouts before I go.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Keeping up with my weight loss requires me to plan my meals. I've started logging parts of my day before I've eaten just because I know that's what I'm going to eat. Does anyone else do this? Would there be any reasons that this wouldn't be a good idea?

I always update if something changes, but generally, it doesn't.

I do this as well. I usually log my breakfast, dessert, snacks, & lunch the night before. There are times that I wake up & tweak my day if I don't feel like eating something I already logged.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Always. It helps me stay consistent. The days I don't log ahead I either eat way too much or way too little. The only time I purposefully do not pre-log a meal is if I'm going out for a meal or going to someone else's home. I do pre-log all the other meals for that day though.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yup I log in advance a lot of the time. I've logged most of tomorrow's menu today so I plan what to cook and then just make small adjustments as I go along if I do a swap on something or the weight of a food is a little different than planned.

So tomorrow I know that the base of my menu (already logged) is:

Breakfast
    50 g organic porridge oats with 1/2 cup stewed rhubarb and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup

Lunch
    150g salmon fillet parcel steamed with fresh garden herbs and 1/2 packet of lemon & herb cous cous

Dinner
    Pork with anchovy, garlic & lemon sauce with tenderstem broccoli

That totals 1,143 calories so come tomorrow if I make any minor tweaks to recipes I'll adjust, but other than that I just add any snacks I have until I get up to around 1,600.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I almost always pre-log my food.. Considering I am at work for a few meals..I know I wont be eating more than I have..
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do that. I think its a good idea because it keeps you accountable and to help you keep on track. for me I opened my food diary to public to help me get additional accountability
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do every day. Have since the day I joined. Easy to make sure I am going to meet my goals for the day. And plan my intake based on macros easier.

This! I plan my entire day first thing in the morning, that way I can keep an eye on my macros and snack properly.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I concur with other posters.

Pre logging has been very helpful

a) saves money on groceries bill. I only buy what I will eat for the week and nothing else.

b) helps me meet my macros( protein, complex carbs and healthy fats)

c) If I have emergencies or last minute changes. I can do it quickly but I try hard to keep with daily objectives.

Good luck in your journey
  • CalypsoNi
    CalypsoNi Posts: 44
    Options
    I also don't log before I eat, but that's mainly do to the fact I usually have to scrape something up(I have very little to no say on what is bought). I've been staying at or below my diet plans just fine even with logging as I go. =)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It goes in the diary before it goes in my mouth! Always! No matter how far in advance.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I log ahead. It tells me how many extra calories I may or may not have. If anything changes then I go back and change. I just don't complete my diary till the end of the day.
    This is how I do it. I don't usually pre-log more than that day's meals, except breakfast because I have the same thing every day so it's easy to pre-log that for each day, then each morning I log my lunch and dinner for the day. But I work on a meal plan so that I know what I'm having for lunches and dinners all week, and if it changes, like a surprise lunch or dinner outing, I have an idea of how many calories I have available anyway.