What to do for soreness??

Options
AESprouse
AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
I just did Scooby's women's beginner dumbbell workout for the first time. (thanks to the person who suggested his site yesterday) I used 3lb dumbbells which were the only thing I had handy and this was my first time doing strength training. My shoulders/shoulder blades, and thighs are already sore and it's only been an hour. What are the best things I can do for soreness and for preventing injuries? Also, is there anything I need to be doing to repair/replenish after my workout? Thanks!

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Water! Lots of it. Also, you will get sore, it shows you are improving. Just make sure you are stretching and doing a good cool down/warm up to prevent injuries!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Soreness~Stretching when your muscles are warmed up helps some. Usually after your done working out, I personally never would stretch before any activity. I also embrace the soreness for as long as I've been hitting gym, it means I am doing something right.

Injuries use proper form, don't overdo/overwork the body. Start slow and build up endurance. Some people suggest rest days, which I agree with on weight lifting, not so much on cardio.

Repair/replenish~ Simple rest is the best, along with proper food for the body.
  • trishahedrick
    Options
    CHOCOLATE MILK after you exercise. It helps me wonders. (:
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I just did Scooby's women's beginner dumbbell workout for the first time. (thanks to the person who suggested his site yesterday) I used 3lb dumbbells which were the only thing I had handy and this was my first time doing strength training. My shoulders/shoulder blades, and thighs are already sore and it's only been an hour. What are the best things I can do for soreness and for preventing injuries? Also, is there anything I need to be doing to repair/replenish after my workout? Thanks!

A recovery shake within 30 mins after you worked out.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I will bump this... I'm interested as well. I've been at it for about 2.5 weeks, and I'm in perpetual pain. Muscle relaxers and Advil are beginning to be my mainstay and I can't see that being good for the long haul. My shoulders and thighs, and lower back are taking the brunt.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Fantastic recovery drink, no joke :) I will drink chocolate almond milk (can't have dairy) but it helps replenish glucose to your muscles the same way recovery drinks do.

Edited to add: muscle soreness comes from a build up of lactic acid in the muscle. Also increase your water intake to help flush it out.
  • MamaCass30
    MamaCass30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also, for soreness in your thighs and legs, I bought a wooden rolling pin (yes, like the one your grandma used to roll out dough) and would roll my muscles with it. Hurts a bit while doing it but as soon as you're done, you feel infinitely better!

Plus, like someone else stated, I like at least a little muscle soreness. Let's me know I did something right! :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Topic: What to do for soreness??

Vagisil with lidocaine<===(local anesthetic)

Because sometimes the foot does not quite fit the shoe, but really wants it to fit.

cinderella_stepsister.jpg
  • hendongirl
    hendongirl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    yup - stretch, foam roll, water.... oh and stretch hehe :)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get a protein shake after my workouts (mainly weight lifting), but water and Biofreeze, plus this knobby roller bar things I got from Target. When I get home from the gym, I use that w/ Biofreeze (basically advanced Icy Hot) over any muscles that I think are gonna hurt. Usually takes care of them BEFORE - and I suffer from arthritis & a twisted skeleton - but it helps ALOT.

Warm showers, ibuprofen and make sure to get some protein.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Sitting in a spa for about 30min afterwards LOL. Guess that may not be possible for everyone but my knee was KILLING me yesterday... went and sat in the hot tub for about 30min and it eased off. So maybe soaking in a hot bath if the hot tub thing isn't a possibility?
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    Some form of light/moderate cardio that gets the blood flowing in the muscles that were used helps a lot. i.e. if your legs are really sore, cycling really helps.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options

It seems to help me from getting DOMS. I still get sore but not REALLY sore. Not a license to drink more than a cup. Make sure it is lowfat as well. Drink within a half hour of working out.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts in a warm bath might help.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump - i plan to start using weights more this week, so i could use some legitimate ideas {in anticipation of the soreness}.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Warm up and light stretch before working out.
    Stretching after working out.
    Foam rolling
    And by far the BEST way to prevent inujury is doing YOGA on a regular basis.

Every training program should include the four elements of fitness

1 Muscular strength
    2 Muscular Endurance
    3 Cardiovascular training
    3 Flexibility/mobility training, i.e. Yoga/stretching

Good luck!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts in a warm bath might help.

This, and advil. I get wicked DOMS and this is what I do! Stretch it out and go for a walk. The more you sit the stiffer you'll get. I really like the idea of the rolling pin though, thanx for that :flowerforyou:
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Like the rolling pin for the legs, a tennis ball is good for massaging sore back and butt muscles. Just put it between you and the wall and roll away. It amuses the family to watch you do it, too...lol.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    How many reps did you do with the 3 pound weights?