What to do for soreness??

Options
2»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the soreness. It's good and it won't last long.

I have to make a comment about the weights, though. Nothing you could possibly do with 3-lb weights could ever be considered strength training. Lifting a tiny dumbbell the weight of an average purse will never make you stronger. I commend you on your efforts, but it is not strength training (unless you have some advanced degenerative disorder where 3 lbs is literally the most you can lift).

If you can lift a gallon of milk, which is almost 9 pounds....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would just like to chime in and commend all those recommending chocolate milk post workout. I had NO idea this is what was meant by my FL people recommending it. I thought they were just trying to help me meet my chocolate macro's lol.
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the soreness. It's good and it won't last long.

I have to make a comment about the weights, though. Nothing you could possibly do with 3-lb weights could ever be considered strength training. Lifting a tiny dumbbell the weight of an average purse will never make you stronger. I commend you on your efforts, but it is not strength training (unless you have some advanced degenerative disorder where 3 lbs is literally the most you can lift).

If you can lift a gallon of milk, which is almost 9 pounds....

Lol, yea I knew those weights wouldn't amount to much but I figured it was better than nothing. I plan to get different ones before my workout on Wednesday. Thanks. :-)

To everyone else- THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You have all given me great advice! And chocolate milk??? Definitely gonna give that a try next time.

Iulia_maddie- I honestly didn't count them. I just did the 3 part dumbbell workout as many times as I could for 10 minutes like Scooby says.
  • leopardjunkie
    leopardjunkie Posts: 149
    Options
    1 cup epsom salt in bath water. and soak

You can also mix epsom salt in warm olive oil (grind it if you are having problems getting it to break down) and spot treat by massaging the epsom oil into your problem area. Works like a charm

and water :)
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    take lots of fish oil
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Soreness:
    1. Stretch after works out. I normally stretch at least 10-15 minutes after every work out session.
    2. Protein shake directly after working out. I use Jay Robb with a 1/2 of packet of Diet Hot Chocolate (which is around 13 calories). The protein powder is low calorie too. It makes it taste like a chocolate milkshake. They are DELIC! http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=380007&catid=314087&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype=
    3. Rest days. I rest the section I worked the next day. For example, if I do upper on Monday, I do lower on Tuesday then return to upper on Wednesday. I give myself a day in between work outs, and in order to repair my body enough to make gains each week, I take Saturday and Sunday off (normally...sometimes I do active rest since it is just so damn hard to not work out).
    4. Eat! When people say to eat after working out, it doesn't mean McD's. It means sensible and refueling food. I will have a protein shake on the way home from the gym at night. Once I get home, I might have carrots with hummus while my food is heating up then I'll have couscous, salmon and maybe some steamed veggies (I might not have anything else with the couscous and salmon since I had the hummus (chickpeas) and carrots to begin with). Food HAS TO BE well-balanced and used to REFUEL and REPAIR the body.
    5. Keep going. If I am sore, the last thing I want to do is sit at work or not work out (take a rest day). I have changed my desk to a standing desk because I find if I wake up sore, then I sit in my desk chair all day, I am noticeably sorer. I find that if I keep moving, I am less sore and it goes away MUCH faster. The same logic goes for the work outs. I do NOT skip work out days (I work out Mon-Fri) simply because I'm sore. Despite my level of soreness, I am always a little better after working out. Both of these help get the lactic acid moving out of the muscles. Note: I always take my soreness very seriously too. If I feel like I'm disproportionately sore...like something might be wrong....or by working out, I'll stress my muscles beyond what is productive stress, I will take off. The body has to have ample time to repair.
    6. Get a good night's sleep-the body repairs muscles while sleeping. The more sleep, the more time to repair.
    7. Take a rest week in between work out routine. I switch routines every 8-12 weeks depending on what it is....and I always take a week off in order for my body to COMPLETELY repair.
    8. Extra water to flush the body and muscles. You will be bloated from the excess water your muscles are holding. Embrace the suck.

All of these will help reduce your soreness immensely. You won't be painless, but if you don't follow these, you will be VERY MUCH MORE sore!

Caveat: I lift pretty heavy compared to the majority of women, and sometimes more than the other men around me at the gym. I take all precautions against soreness and repairing my body as I should.

I think I covered everything: good luck!

And I will say I like being sore. I always joke how at any point in time, there is ALWAYS something on me that is sore. :flowerforyou:
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Warm up and light stretch before working out.
    Stretching after working out.
    Foam rolling
    And by far the BEST way to prevent inujury is doing YOGA on a regular basis.

Every training program should include the four elements of fitness

1 Muscular strength
    2 Muscular Endurance
    3 Cardiovascular training
    3 Flexibility/mobility training, i.e. Yoga/stretching

Good luck!!

can you recommend stretching for lower back pain right above the hip bones (i am unsure of the muscle name, might be obliques??)