do you have to eat tha calories back?

Options
i eat 1100 a day, and work out 90 mins a day 7 days a week. everytime i log in a work out it givez me extra caloriez to eat. but i dont want to eat those :( everyday its givin me an extra 900-1000 cals a day, an that seemz like too much. help :(

Replies

• doctorrebecca11
    Options
    I don't think you have to.... I am no expert, but I don't think you really have to. I do like that it gives me a little extra flexibility with how much I eat, but I don't eat all of those calories I just burnt...
  • hardlyhappenstance
    Options
    You can choose. 1lb is about 3500 calories.. so if burn that, you lose 1lb.. but, if you eat it back, you still get the benefit of your burn, but you'll lose the lbs much more slowly. My goal is to NOT eat back my workout calories, to lose weight quicker, but sometimes, when you do something with a heavy burn, like swimming, your body NEEDS some of those extra calories, or so I think. Good luck!

UPDATE:
    Hey guys, I didn't know about the BMR stuff, so now it makes sense.. my BMR is 1100, so I think I'm safe letting a hundred or so calories go ;)
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do you HAVE to? No, no one can make you if you don't want to eat them back.

SHOULD you? Yes. You're netting 100-200 calories a day if you don't. Even 1100 is rather low to net, especially with the workout you have.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I recommend you eat your calories back. If you think about it. You are now eating 1100 calories a day and you are burning say 900. That means you are only eating 200 calories for the whole day! It's not enough food for you. I eat back my calories. Good luck!
  • HappyWifeBeth
    HappyWifeBeth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've only been using those "extra" calories if needed. Um, like the other day, I worked out specifically so I could eat a Snickers bar that I otherwise wouldn't have had the calories for.

I figure it's ok because before MFP I would've not exercised and eaten the Snickers anyway.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat those exercise calories back!! You're eating WAY too little. You should never eat less than your BMR. A good way to gauge how much you should eat is to figure out your TDEE then -20%. I was only eating 1200 calories (and eating back half of my exercise calories) and my weight loss stalled (even gained one week). I did a LOT of research and found out I was eating way too little. I upped my calories, eat back all of my exercise calories, and I'm losing very nicely now. By eating too few calories, you will not only stall your weight loss, you will absolutely mess up your metabolism and your hormones. For your own healthy, eat more! Your body will thank you and not hold on to your fat for survival.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my calories back ever, but you do need to eat at least 1200 a day before exercise.
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Yep I always do and it works.... Don't starve yourself . I've lost 100 lbs trust me
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    I agree with all of those who say you are eating way too little and that you have to give yourself enough fuel for your body to function properly. This debate about eating exercise calories is never ending on these message boards, but it IS true that MFP has it set up so that you DO eat them back, or at least some of them, and, at minimum, you have to make sure you are eating ENOUGH.

p.s. If your profile picture is of you and is current, I am a little worried in the first place about your 50 pound weight loss goal? I'm not one to meddle in someone else's journey here, but I am also just concerned.

Please take the expert's (more expert than myself) advice and make sure you are eating well and not putting your health at risk.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    I've only been using those "extra" calories if needed. Um, like the other day, I worked out specifically so I could eat a Snickers bar that I otherwise wouldn't have had the calories for.

I figure it's ok because before MFP I would've not exercised and eaten the Snickers anyway.

Lol. I do the same thing. I'll bust my butt doing circuit training with my trainer so I can have pizza and beer that night.
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options
    i want 2 lose a lot of weight, cuz i hav a butt, and i look like a girl frum the back. :( and my stomach sticks out. :sad: i've been doin this for lyke 1 week with this account an lost 2.6 poundz. so its not like i'm losin 8 per week. i jus wanna lose it fast
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Going VLCD (which is what you're doing seeing as you're netting 100-200 calories a day) is a very drastic move that should really only be done under medical supervision. It's an extremely harsh 'quick fix' method - great if your doctor is telling you need to drop 50lbs before he'll do an operation, but bad if your serious about weight loss. Go lower than your BMR and your metabolic rate can slow up to 30% whilst you're eating that low because your body is desperately trying to survive a famine. Get to your goal weight and unless you're going to be busting your backside in a gym every day, chances are the weight will pile back on again as your body will now be grabbing every last drop of energy from your food and storing it away like crazy.

MFP already gives 1,200 as a minimum calorie goal...and even then only if you tell it you want to lose 2lbs a week and are sedentary. If you go that low you are supposed to eat the calories it adds to your daily goal when you've exercised.
    i want 2 lose a lot of weight, cuz i hav a butt, and i look like a girl frum the back. :( and my stomach sticks out. :sad: i've been doin this for lyke 1 week with this account an lost 2.6 poundz. so its not like i'm losin 8 per week. i jus wanna lose it fast

You're not going to lose weight off your *kitten* alone - weight loss doesn't work that way. Plus, if that's you in the profile photo it doesn't look like you need to lose weight at all....if you're not happy with your body try redefining it with strength training.
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options
    Going VLCD (which is what you're doing seeing as you're netting 100-200 calories a day) is a very drastic move that should really only be done under medical supervision. It's an extremely harsh 'quick fix' method - great if your doctor is telling you need to drop 50lbs before he'll do an operation, but bad if your serious about weight loss. Go lower than your BMR and your metabolic rate can slow up to 30% whilst you're eating that low because your body is desperately trying to survive a famine. Get to your goal weight and unless you're going to be busting your backside in a gym every day, chances are the weight will pile back on again as your body will now be grabbing every last drop of energy from your food and storing it away like crazy.

MFP already gives 1,200 as a minimum calorie goal...and even then only if you tell it you want to lose 2lbs a week and are sedentary. If you go that low you are supposed to eat the calories it adds to your daily goal when you've exercised.
    my doctor didnt tell me anything. i decided myself. if i lose 10 poundz an i like how my butt lookz, i'll stop :D
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    my doctor didnt tell me anything. i decided myself. if i lose 10 poundz an i like how my butt lookz, i'll stop :D

It's probably not going to look any different whatsoever - 10lbs is barely any weight to have to lose. Again, if you want to redefine your body shape when you've got that little to lose, do some strength training.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I call troll.
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options

It's probably not going to look any different whatsoever - 10lbs is barely any weight to have to lose. Again, if you want to redefine your body shape when you've got that little to lose, do some strength training.
    fine then my goal iz 20-40 whatever.