A Healthier Alternative to that Mocha Latte

Options
NatureWildchild
NatureWildchild Posts: 16 Member
On a budget?.. Watching calories?.. and missing that Mocha Latte? :flowerforyou: Yeah me too. Starbucks misses my money I'm sure, but here is my homemade alternative that has actually met the craving urge, costs WAY less, has WAY less calories, and even throws in a vitamin/mineral boost.

For the comparison, I'm using the Starbucks website stats for a Tall 12oz Mocha Latte, with 2% milk, no whip BECAUSE.. That is the FLAVOR I am tryping to replicate. The change up of ingredients are of course what is going to bring that cost and calories down, WITHOUT compromising that FLAVOR you are going for.

Statistically.. that lucious Starbucks Tall Mocha Latte with 2% milk and no whip, torques your calorie consumption up by 200 notches, 60 of those calories are fat (6g fat), 20mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 32g carbs, 1g fiber, 26g sugars, 10g protein, 10% Vitamin A, 30% Calcium, 15% Iron, 95mg caffeine (their disclaimer that percentages are estimates due to customization)

NOW - let us customize ourselves!!

My coffee mug vs theirs... Mine is a 10oz mug, vs their 12oz cup.. but I do like to go back for 2nds and even 3rds..:blushing: So for this example I'm just showing it as one serving size. Coffee in itself, is allegedly no calories. Woo-hoo!

I love to grind my own coffee beans, and have experimented with both "regular" beans and decaf. Both are good, so if you need to nix the caffeine because of blood pressure issues or drinking after 5pm - go decaf. The "regular" beans I lean toward are either Espresso or Sumatra.. but again, customize to your flavor preference. Yer werkin' with no calories here.

For the milk issue... what do you do to match that FLAVOR? Of the various milk liquids I've tried (2% milk, Coffee-mate liquid and powder, dairy and non dairy products, regular, reduced fat, no fat, etc etc..) The winner for the FLAVOR and calorie considerations is: Nestle Coffee-mate powder (the original). This little baby boasts 10 calories per tsp.. so how many does it take to replicate the 2% milk in a latte? My personal FLAVOR vote is one Tbsp - so 30 calories as opposed to 150 (ish) calories in 10oz of 2% milk. (For my blood pressure buddies.. there is also no sodium in Coffee-mate like there is with milk)

NOW for the mocha flavor... and omg this does make a HUGE amount of difference what you use. I have mixed combinations of real Hershey's powderd cocoa and sugar (which btw is yummy).. I've tried numerous hot chocolate/cocoa powdered drinks, both regular and reduced sugar.. numerous syrups (and any fake sugar substitues are NASTY NASTY NASTY :noway: per my own preference and how it makes my body feel)... and the WINNER IS... for Taste, Calories, Sodium and Nutrition = OVALTINE!! Yeah, who knew. :smile:

Perks for Ovaltine are that you can use it hot or cold, so just in case you want that iced coffee thing going. Just TWO Tbsp of Ovaltine boast 40 calories, no fat, and 70mg of sodium.. but do you need all two Tbsp? No. If your Mocha latte preference is 1 pump of Mocha.. you can go as low as 1 tsp of Ovaltine - which is like zippo on the calories and sodium! So start out with a low amount, and work your way up to where your sweet tooth tells you "Ahhhh". :love: Ovaltine boasts no artifical flavors, 12 Vitamins and Minerals, and is 99.9% caffeine free.. so definitely helpful for those needing a low blood pressure alternative.

The Bottom Line... :drinker:

Starbucks 12oz Tall Mocha Latte - 200 calories, 115mg sodium

Homemade 10oz Mocha Alternative - 37 calories, 11mg sodium (to more based on your craving preference)
made with 10oz Coffee
1 Tbsp Coffee-mate powdered creamer (30 calories)
1 tsp Ovaltine (7 calories, 11mg sodium)

*my own disclaimer* I am a nerd, not a math wiz, so if you find my calculations off from your opinion... I have slept in a Holiday Inn Express before, so I could potentially be a brain surgeon, but in actuality I'm not. I just love food. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! I am a Chai Latte freak and it's killing me in sugar.

Mary Ann
  • NatureWildchild
    NatureWildchild Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mary Ann.. Yowza, I see what you mean. Starbucks Grande Chai Latte is 42g of sugar (which estimates an equivalent 10 tsp of sugar). :noway:
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm for sure going to try this. It sounds delicious - kudos to you for experimenting and sharing your results with us. My hat is off to you.:love::flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • falamoyacrava
    falamoyacrava Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am DEFINITELY trying this!! Now can't wait til the morning!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!! Soooooo trying this!!!!
  • croftlass
    croftlass Posts: 4
    Options
    Brilliant! I live on an island where there is no Starbucks (honest!) so I am def gonna try this!!
  • mslady28358
    mslady28358 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    love Mocha Latte! :heart: bump
  • Choices55
    Choices55 Posts: 2
    Options
    Nature Wildchild - I too love chai latte. My best invention with lowest calories is to brew a teabag of Tazo spice chai in water per directions. I then add a splash of skim milk and a packet of Truvia. I like mine on the strong side, so I actually use two tea bags in a 12 oz cup and 1 1/2 packets of Truvia.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Silk makes a vanilla and mocha iced latte now for 100 calories per serving..
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Bump to try!

And thanks @jqh23 for the Silk tip. I like to avoid dairy milk so I'll try that. :smile:
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Silk makes a vanilla and mocha iced latte now for 100 calories per serving..

I think I've tried that one and it tasted like chemicals. I couldn't stomach it! This posted recipe sounds awesome and I'll have to try it soon! Right after I finish my Starbucks.... lol
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • bdkglk
    bdkglk Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS....
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Copied for a friend who is a Starbuck's late addict and has been complaining about the cost! Thanks!
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the cremora. I generally use skim or 1% milk but heat it in the microwave and whip it up with a little hand-held frother.

The ovaltine secret tip is great. I had no idea how low cal it was until one of my kids would only drink milk if it was chocolate milk. In order to get him to drink milk I checked out the hershey's syrup, nestle's quick and ovaltine at the grocery store; like you, I found that the ovaltine was so much lower in calories and sugar and actually had some nutritional value.

The one thing that bums me out though is giving up the whipped cream! I just love whipped cream but in an effort to get to my weight goal, I would be willing to forgo that too. :-(
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Thanks for sharing. I am loving my coffee lately!! :heart:
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    sounds good ty
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Genius!
  • krisam06
    krisam06 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you!.......BUMP
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! I live on an island where there is no Starbucks (honest!) so I am def gonna try this!!

Is there a charity I can donate to, to rectify this situation? Because I think I feel worse for you than the kids who have no shoes and I already buy TOM's.

BTW, I'm satisfied with the calorie content and flavor of the light mocha starbucks makes but yeah I make something similar to this sometimes at home, but lately i've been using honey to try to combat allergy season. you're right though its yummy, and thanks for making good use of the word "alternative" to make an accurate thread. :flowerforyou: