Strange words to everyone....local to you!

Options
Ms_Natalie
Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
Hey guys, I have noticed lately when posting that I type a word into my reply and realise that many would not understand it due to my geographical location...lol...and then delete it!

As we are a world wide forum...I was thinking...let's become wiser and share words that mean something to you and others my not understand.

Let's become wiser and slimmer/healthier at the same time....:flowerforyou:

Okay, I am from South Wales (UK) and my word is LUSH! :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: LUSH means amazing, gorgeous, beautiful and something that means alot to a person!:flowerforyou:

Okay who's next? :flowerforyou:

Just realised, I use the :flowerforyou: waaaaaaay too often! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Glad you clarified LUSH, her in the US it means Alcoholic.

I am living in New Hampshire, USA and my word is "WICKED" meaning that something is really cool.
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    Well I'm from Mississippi. And we take short cuts in our words ALOT! Words like gonna. It mean going to. We also say fixin to which means the same thing as gonna....hahaha I could take forever in teaching the southern language but I just dont have that time to spare....LOL:tongue:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options
    Glad you clarified LUSH, her in the US it means Alcoholic.

I am living in New Hampshire, USA and my word is "WICKED" meaning that something is really cool.

yep...wicked has made it's way over here to the UK...it's even in a tonne of songs!

wow....alcoholic!? hahaha....In Wales it is one of the most overused words! But it's a nice one! I would never have though alcoholic...but I bet that's where it came from! lol :flowerforyou:
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Well ya know where I hang my hat...ha ha
    My word:

fixin'.........and it doesn't mean to repair something, it means gettin' ready to do something :wink:

but my favorite is, COKE
    and I don't mean the brand name, I always mean a Big Red! :laugh:
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    In south-eastern Wisconsin a drinking fountain is called a bubbler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubbler
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I read this in a blog earlier:

"Young lass wi a ponytail. She'd gerrit, mind. Might ask her if she's gorra fella."

Can anyone translate? :huh:
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    Well, I am from NY but live in VA and LUSH means something totally different...Someone who sleeps around and goes out with anything that moves..usually meant for a woman.. hee hee....

WOW and for the record...you have ALL lost a TON of weight!!! CONGRATS!!!
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Born in England, raised in Canada, watch mostly US television. So to me LUSH would be used as; Look at that lush passed out on that lush green grass. <g>
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i'm from the south altho i don't sound like it lol (funny is that i watched a lot of british & canadian shows so i actually say words in the british or canadian way HAHAHAHA)

MASH = jus' mash it!

MASH = press the button
  • Avandel
    Options
    svey9480

Young girl with a ponytail. She would get it, mind you (for sure). Might ask her if she has got a boyfriend.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options
    I read this in a blog earlier:

"Young lass wi a ponytail. She'd gerrit, mind. Might ask her if she's gorra fella."

Can anyone translate? :huh:

The gerrit part...as in "get it" is a little naughty I guess! Don't think he means 1st class prize in the singing contest either! hahaha x
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options
    Well, I am from NY but live in VA and LUSH means something totally different...Someone who sleeps around and goes out with anything that moves..usually meant for a woman.. hee hee....

WOW and for the record...you have ALL lost a TON of weight!!! CONGRATS!!!

wow...so us "LUSHOUS" welsh (see there's even an adjective...to it) are alcoholic people who sleep around!! hahahaha!

Brilliant! lol :flowerforyou:

Thank you sweetheart...you are also doing amazingly well :flowerforyou:
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I want to include myself in this topic, but I generally don't speak in "slang" other than internet slang (LOL and whatnot). The only thing that comes to mind would be a local food:

speidies

They are marinated chunks of meat, (beef, pork, lamb but most popular is chicken!) skewered and grilled (like a shiskebab, but generally without veggies), and served in a roll. There are speidie sauces that are sold in the area for this particular purpose, but if someone wanted to try it, I'd recommend something akin to a zesty italian dressing to marinate them in for a good... week or so prior to grilling. :n)
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Ohh I know. "pants" to us in the US is what you would call "slacks", but you call underwear "pants". I always think that's funny. :smile: I mean for us, when we say pants, what must go through your minds. :smile:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options
    Ohh I know. "pants" to us in the US is what you would call "slacks", but you call underwear "pants". I always think that's funny. :smile: I mean for us, when we say pants, what must go through your minds. :smile:

Indeedy! Yep...pants are underwear for men! lol...us women wear knickers!

Do you remember when "fanny bags" came out in the US? Well, over here, we call them "Bumbags"! Fanny in the UK means a ladies private parts...it used to be a girls name, but that all changed a long time ago! lol :laugh:
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Lot's of them, but I bever realise it's local till other people look perplexed.

Women are "sheilas" (originally Aussie I think) like "Hey mate, check out that sheila over there!" We call almost everyone mate, like when I meet up with my gym partner later I'll almost certainly say "Hey mate, how's it going?"

A "bloke" is some male stranger, like "Some bloke was just around looking for you."

We tack "eh?" (pronounced like the letter "a") on the end of every second sentence, like "Nice day, eh?"

To "chunder" is to vomit as in "Jeeez mate, did you see how pissed Fred got last night? Vomited all up the dunny wall." Dunny being toilet.

A "dag" is a funny person, as in "That guy's a bit of a dag."

etc etc
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

Women are "sheilas" (originally Aussie I think) like "Hey mate, check out that sheila over there!" We call almost everyone mate, like when I meet up with my gym partner later I'll almost certainly say "Hey mate, how's it going?"

A "bloke" is some male stranger, like "Some bloke was just around looking for you."

We tack "eh?" (pronounced like the letter "a") on the end of every second sentence, like "Nice day, eh?"

To "chunder" is to vomit as in "Jeeez mate, did you see how pissed Fred got last night? Vomited all up the dunny wall." Dunny being toilet.

etc etc
    Oh! I love an Aussie accent and all the words that come along with it as I can just hear the accent as I'm reading! :love:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Indeedy! Yep...pants are underwear for men! lol...us women wear knickers!

Do you remember when "fanny bags" came out in the US? Well, over here, we call them "Bumbags"! Fanny in the UK means a ladies private parts...it used to be a girls name, but that all changed a long time ago! lol :laugh:

I use drawers for underwear, but pronounce it draaaws. I'm in Ohio and we use just the word pop for soda pop. I know when I lived in Louisianna all soda pop was called a coke.
  • Avandel
    Options

When we came first came to Canada, my mum almost passed out the first time she heard someone on the telly say, "He slapped her in the fanny"!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options

etc etc

I also love the aussie accent! We have a car insurance company over here that only caters for women, and it's an australian female company called "Sheila's wheels!" hahaha! x