Plantar fasciitis

Options
2»

Replies

• jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The more your weight, generally the worse it gets b/c there is more weight/pressure on your feet.

I got a great deal of relief from an OTC show insert called "SuperFeet". They aren't just for plantar fasciitis, but they're designed to fix whatever misalignment or arch issue you have. I got the blue ones for my very flat feet (which exacerbates PF) and hubby got the green ones for high arches. We both got relief from foot pain from them. And no, I don't have any interest in the company, just found them useful. :) I just bought them at a sporting goods store (D i c k's), think they were around $20-30 maybe? I'll bet you could return them if they didn't help in a couple weeks. I noticed improvement pretty quickly.

http://www.superfeet.com/
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What worked for me long-term was a good pair of Dr. Scholl's shoes with excellent arch support and the rocker sole.

Taped the foot during the day and work what was actually an ankle brace but it kept the foot open overnight.

And resting the foot, of course.

Good luck!
  • brown2b1
    brown2b1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a rolling pin and stand on it and roll it under the entire foot; wear orthotics; and stretch/massage. I successfully got rid of it until I had toe surgery and then it came back from using the walking boot. So, I am back at it.
  • Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I developed plantar fasciitis when living at the beach for two months, and doing a lot of barefoot walking. I hate to wear shoes all the time, so I was looking for another way. I had seen those boots that you wear at night that pull your toes up, which looked incredibly uncomfortable. Since I'm a stomach sleeper, my feet continually are stretched the opposite way. So I just started sleeping with my feet hanging off of the end of the bed, or putting a small pillow under my feet at the ankle, so my feet would fall down instead of pointing. It has worked, and I haven't had a problem since - for more than two years. I did do the exercises for a little while. We're going back to the beach, so I'll see if it continues to help.
  • dancinon2
    dancinon2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had PF really bad for about 10 months about 2 years ago. It has never come back in that time. I had injections in my feet, custom orthodics, and tried all sorts of home remedies none of which helped. The only thing that helped was taping my feet EVERY morning for several weeks - probably at least 3. There are a couple videos on youtube showing different ways. None that I saw did it exactly like I did, but you'll get the idea and you can try a few to see what works best for you. I just used white athletic tape that I got at Walgreens - it did irritate the top of my foot on particularly active days but it was definitely worth it in the end. I just put a little piece of tissue inbetween the tape and my foot when it would get irritated. Good Luck!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    walk fit shoe inserts, (google it), changed my life. they have a lifetime guarantee and this is the first product that enabled me to forget the pain.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When I got pneumonia 2 years ago, I sat in bed cross-legged for hours every day trying to work from home. As a result, I developed moderate plantar fasciitis that nearly required injections. However, I was able to cure it on my own in about a month with a combination of the following treatments:

1. REST. Plantar fasciitis is a soft-tissue injury and you need to stay off your feet as much as possible. It's especially crucial to do this at the end of the day when it's not as bad because your muscles are all warmed up - but you'll regret it the next day if you overdo it.

2. Low dosages of Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory, but only when you're in pain.

3. Stretching as SOON as I got out of bed in the morning - leaning against the wall with my palms flat while I stretched out my Achilles tendons and did supported lunges against the wall, plus other leg stretches and morning yoga sometimes.

4. Sleeping with a boot that kept my plantar muscle flexed all night to minimize tearing in the morning helped TREMENDOUSLY: http://www.amazon.com/Medium-Cronin-PLANTAR-FASCITIS-SPLINT/dp/B001B5JVIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368469040 I got mine at Walgreen's for about $10 more, but it helped SO much.

5. Wear a really good pair of walking shoes every day, all day.

6. Ice at night.

7. Rolling a tennis ball under my bare foot while I worked at a desk.

8. Massaging my foot and heel each day.

I went from hobbling and barely being able to walk to the pain being almost non-existent. It's not completely gone - it's started twinging again now that I've taken up running, but I got better very quickly, so I hope this helps you!
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Calf stretches, shin stretches, taking your toes and performing the alphabet with your feet.
    Lately I have been rolling my foot on a tennis ball before and after runs or when I am just tight and it was been really helpful.
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    I am having issues with this too. I would like to read this later for the replies.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Mine went straight to full blown injury from 1 event not trained for enough. So slightly different.

But spent years with it probably in the state you are in with varying degrees of pain, no pain depending on how much I used it.

1 - needs rest from overstretching. Which means as little on your feet as possible.

2 - I finally got healed using orthotics in all my shoes. Once healed I then did barefoot/minimalist shoes.

One thing that probably made mine worse through the years trying to start out and recover, unequal leg length.
    Put more stress on that side, and since that is always the main side that felt a problem, may have been the only stressor that finally got to it.

And dittos to Bostonandie and things you need to do. Though until I got the orthotics to remove the stress, none of those helped enough. But they aid recovery.
    If you are still on the side of losing it, rather than lost it and are already injuried, try them though.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Been sidelined with this for a couple of weeks now...being treated by chiro (and have an appointment later this afternoon). Tagging this to read later.
  • prettyeyez55
    prettyeyez55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am and it is horrible! I had to get shots in my feet. i did go get some new asics with nice custom insoles and it has helped SO much but you have to always wear them. the minute i wear something else i am in a lot of pain. good luck
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Aluminum water bottle, water, fridge. Take that out and roll your feet on it. Can't tell you how good that feels! And even now with it gone, I will still bust out the water bottle after a long run to loosen them up a bit.
  • meredithkrueger
    Options
    I had this problem - caused by going barefoot and even doing workouts barefoot. I first bought this shoe: New Balance 856 WX856WB Women's Cross Trainer (it is recommended for foot problems). I stopped go barefoot at any time - the second I got out of bed I had some sort of shoes on. I did try the tennis ball rolled under my foot for a while too, but not consistently. After about a year the pain went away. I now can go barefoot without hurting but I try to wear some sort of shoes when I can so that it doesn't happen again. ALSO, I kept on working out because I needed to lose weight to help this too. I did lots of ZUMBA. I really think the shoes were the #1 fix for my problem. I now only buy this kind for workouts and everyday use. You don't even need the inserts with these. I do have a set of Dr. Scholl's cheap inserts for my other shoes but can go with or without them.

The pain was really intense and I sure don't want to go through that again. Oh, one more thing.... Before you get out of bed in the morning, stretch and turn your ankles in circles to warm them up. This seemed to reduce the pain a little.

Hope this helps!!!!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helped me was losing weight. ):
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stretching and all icing, however, after I had been struggling with PF for 9 months and I was at my wits end I went to see a lady who did ROLFING, it is a kind of message, I went in barely able to walk, and left 80% better THAT DAY. It was a little painful when she was working down my leg ( I know we are talking about the foot) like a giant ball of fire below her fingers, but after that, serious relief. I went back for 5-7 treatments, and I have never had any problem since. The person MUST be licensed in ROLFING, ask to see the certificate. Good Luck!
  • Janrr
    Janrr Posts: 12
    Options
    Angimom was fortunate to get a Rolfing Pro to heal lher foot with several Rofling treatments. I got mine from walking 10 miles on an uneven road surface. I did the worst thing, I ignored the pain & kept up walking until the foot pain stopped me cold.

I went to an Orthopedic Doc. He said the first thing is to stop ding what caused the injury. Dah, I worked in a highly stressed environment, how was I going to relax? He said rest your foot, or it may go on forever. He said when you limp home the first time, run for the frig & get ICE. Ice can help reduce inflammation. However, for some,heat works better, You have to find out which helps you.

Use Advil or Motrin or aspirin this helps with the pain & the inflammation.

Because, I aggravated mine by continuing to walk on the injury - It took almost a year to heal. I found you have to be patient with your foot. Don;t wear worn-down shoes. Regularly stretch your Achilies tendon L& the plantar fascia will increase their flexibility. He had me wear night splints- got hem at a Medical Supply store. They gently stretch the plantar fascia ligament. Also do exercised to strengthen the muscles of the foot.

Your is fairly recent so it won't take as long for uyou to heal - just be patient with it. As a tip, I turned to swimming and it worked great for me.
    , .
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have had this since I was 13. I get special insoles made for my shoes that have helped a lot. I actually have a bit of an arch now.

Stretches that help are:

With sneakers on, stand with your arch on the edge of the step/stair and put your weight on your heels so it feels like you are falling off the step. I do this for about a minute before walking.

Icing hurts for me, I use heat. I use a hot water bottle to warm them up, then roll them on a rolling pin. I do it while I am at the computer or watching tv so i may do it for hours in a day. It helps a lot.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I do a few things, dependent on the activity I'm about to do:

If I'm sitting at my desk, I'll roll a golf ball under my foot (Sometimes I'll freeze the golf ball)

Occasionally, I'll just take some ibuprofen ahead of time

If I'm in bed, I massage and stretch before getting up.