Stronglifts 5x5 with dumb weights?

Options
I want to lift... but I don't have a gym membership and I have no knowledge of "workout lingo". I have been trying to educate myself and find a program that is easy to follow and I can do at home. I really like the simplicity and progrssion of the stronglifts 5x5 but when I downloaded the free schedule, I need a bar and disc weights to do it.

Has anyone modified this program to use at home? I have dumb bells sets of 2 from 5- 25 lbs. Or should I just try to find something else to do with what I have?

Replies

• samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bump* I'm shocked no one has an opinion on this... I see people talking about lifting all the time on here
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much a novice, but I would say that you can do alternatives for everything that requires a barbell. The problem is that you will quickly max out. Go to bodybuilding.com and look for exercise alternatives for anything that requires the barbell., For deadlifts, this would include dumbbell lunges, split squats, or step-ups (although, nothing beats a good deadlift :o)). Also, you can do dumbbell rows instead of barbell rows. For overhead presses, you can do dumbbell shoulder presses. I'm not sure if this will be as effective, but it's worth a shot.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5 is a progressive loading program. That means that it requires you to up the weights regularly. Lifting at home with dumbbells will be okay to start, but you'll max out pretty quickly and if you don't have anything higher than 25lbs, you won't be able to continue to progress - with that program.

You'd be better off finding a dumbbell program or a body weight program.
  • samkelly89
    Options
    Thank you ladies! All really great advice. I think I may just buckle down and get a gym membership pretty soon.
  • dawn60r
    dawn60r Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try this web site

Click here: Exercise Finder, health - divine.ca
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    While you can modify the SL 5x5 to fit more of a dumbbell routine it has been posted all over their site that in doing so you may not see the results you are looking for. I would maybe suggest to find a different program that is more focused on dumbbells rather then trying to modify a barbell routine. Just my $0.02.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    While you can modify the SL 5x5 to fit more of a dumbbell routine it has been posted all over their site that in doing so you may not see the results you are looking for. I would maybe suggest to find a different program that is more focused on dumbbells rather then trying to modify a barbell routine. Just my $0.02.

Sound advice!

You'll max out db's pretty quickly on this kind of routine and without progressively upping the load, the programme won't deliver for you.

Other routines that are db specific will use single-leg variants and other stuff to keep providing that progressive overload. So if you're stuck with db's, you'll be better off finding a new programme.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I did All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine (kinda like SL 5x5) using dumbbells for a while. My gym had DBs up to 75 lb, but no bars. I agree with the others that you will quickly max out with only 25 lb weights, especially on the squats and deadlifts. Progression is also harder, as you have to use the DBs you have (usually 5 lb increments per hand), which might mean going up too much each time (increasing 10lb on an overhead press can be a lot!). Not to say you couldn't make a start, but it won't be as good as with a barbell.

I broke down and brought a barbell and rack on Craigslist recently. Much better!
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Dumb weights are a little slow, so it may take awhile to see any real progress with them. If you want quicker results, try smart weights.
  • samkelly89
    Options
    Dumb weights are a little slow, so it may take awhile to see any real progress with them. If you want quicker results, try smart weights.

Haha, thank you for the sound advice
  • samkelly89
    Options
    I did All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine (kinda like SL 5x5) using dumbbells for a while. My gym had DBs up to 75 lb, but no bars. I agree with the others that you will quickly max out with only 25 lb weights, especially on the squats and deadlifts. Progression is also harder, as you have to use the DBs you have (usually 5 lb increments per hand), which might mean going up too much each time (increasing 10lb on an overhead press can be a lot!). Not to say you couldn't make a start, but it won't be as good as with a barbell.

I broke down and brought a barbell and rack on Craigslist recently. Much better!

That makes sense... Don't know if I want to increase 10 lbs each time! It might be a good investment for me to buy a rack too. We'll see.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but with kids and a home to manage...the gym doesn't doesn't work for me. I'd want my hubby involved there with me and he can't due to work. So, I made some sandbags that I can adjust, lift as I can, a door pull up bar, and some HIIT training on the treadmill will get me farther than I am right now. I made several extra 5 pound bags...I'm up to a 34 pound bag and have had to take a break after the first workout...waiting for my muscles to relax a bit!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everyone's comments, so it may have already been stated...but the biggest issue you'll run into is maxing out pretty quickly with the dumbbells. SL is a progressive routine where you're pretty much adding weight every time you lift for quite awhile...you start out pretty light and just keep loading on the weight. Only having dumbbells up to 25 Lbs is going to max you out in a couple of weeks if you do the program correctly.

I'd suggest either sucking it up and getting gym membership to do the lifts properly or find a routine that is centered around dumbbells and not barbells. Just my $.02
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A lot of good information here, but one more thing about dumbbells.

You can progress to using heavy dumbbells (50 lbs or a lot more) in place of barbell lifts, but heavy dumbbells are hard to handle. Sometimes getting the dumbbells into position for a lift can be as challenging as the lift itself. Using a barbell with a rack is a lot simpler.

But dumbbell presses are good exercises, if they are heavy enough to make you work hard. It's not a bad place to start.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump