Only 1.3lbs down in first week

Options
Hi guys

Sticking to a 1200 calorie a day plan and i've only lost 1.3 pounds in my first week. Fairly disappointed as i was hoping for a bit more considering i've really stuck to it.

Trying to get my head round the BMR / TDEE information i've been reading, but i don't really want to start jumping from one plan to another and ending up putting on even more weight.

My food tracker is open if anybody can offer advice.

Thanks

Debbie

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This isn't Biggest Loser and weight doesn't drop off that quickly. A pound a week is great progress although you are probably under eating. Not many people really are supposed to be eating 1200 calories a day unless you are very small, inactive or old.
  • debbieb1971
    debbieb1971 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, 5ft 4.5ins and have a job where i sit down most of the day. I'm always busy when i get home though and have started doing aerobic exercises and going for walks.

My 1200 calories is based on what MFP told me to consume, when i entered my details.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    only 1.3lbs?

how long did it take you to put all the weight on?
  • skjsbp
    skjsbp Posts: 8
    Options
    If you look at your fitness profile you may see that it says you are scheduled to lose 1.3 or 1.4 pounds or something like that per week if you follow the plan it gives you. No matter what I've entered (I've changed my weight and entered a different weekly goal) it has still told me to eat 1200 calories and that I would lose 1.4 (1.3 now) pounds a week. There's nothing wrong with that though! Most people don't put on weight that quickly, and it's not a good idea to try to lose it too fast.

Good luck! :)
  • Rissy3636
    Rissy3636 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good loss for the week.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, 5ft 4.5ins and have a job where i sit down most of the day. I'm always busy when i get home though and have started doing aerobic exercises and going for walks.

My 1200 calories is based on what MFP told me to consume, when i entered my details.

Are you also logging your exercise and eating back the calories you earn like MFP expects you to?
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    1.3 pounds is a great start! Don't be disappointed by not dropping "Biggest Loser" type numbers. You are still going through your regular day (job, family, etc.) and aren't just working out in a controlled environment. Make sure you eat back your exercise calories. Best of luck!
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    That's a great loss, and if you're disappointed with that, combined with the fact you are only on 1200 a day, (although that is like me so i can't judge you for that) then i am afraid it sounds like you have a bit of an unhealthy attitude towards weight loss. Do a bit of research, speak to the folks around her, and chill out and be extrememly proud of yourself for such a loss :)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, that's
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    Since you're ticker says your only looking to lose about 30 pounds it sounds like your not that overweight to begin with? That's not bad but it just might be a bit harder to lose as much weight as someone, say, 100 pounds more than you. And anyway everyone's different and 1.3 pounds is still a loss! Congrats on your first week :bigsmile:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Adjust your expectations and your attitude.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale more than once a week -- not daily but probably a couple of times per week. This was my first week as well and on Saturday I had dropped 6 pounds for the week then today when I got on the scale it only showed a loss of 4 pounds. I suspect I had too much sodium yesterday -- plus I had a large mid-day meal.

I will get on the scale again tomorrow and I will get a more accurate picture.

I don't think losing 1.3 pounds in the first week is "bad" but I understand it can be disappointing. Perhaps it will change to a bigger number next week.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Did you enter for 1 lb or 2 lbs? 1200 is the lowest it will go, so even if it told you 1200 for 2 lbs a week, you may not get anywhere near that. 1.3 is a fabulous loss. Congrats!
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think that's fantastic. you are looking for sustainable weight loss not fast fad diet where you gain it all back + an extra 5.

You will have some weeks where you loose more and some where you loose less. it's the big picture that counts.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Eating 1200 calories and then exercising on top of that is not completely sustainable. According to your profile, you've given up before because it wasn't happening quickly enough. Unless you've got 100 lbs to lose, your body is not going to throw off weight in big numbers in the first week, especially as huge numbers are only water weight at that size anyway. It is a near physical impossibility to lose 10 lb of body FAT in a week. That would mean someone would have burned 35 000 calories. Since a heavy duty cardio workout might burn 700 calories, you'd have to exercise about 4 hours a day. Not realistic for most people. Weigh yourself less often, take before pics and measurements, and be happy with a weight loss that is sustainable, and won't pile back on when your eating is less restrictive. Don't set yourself up for failure with unrealistic expectations.
  • debbieb1971
    debbieb1971 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments which have made me realise that maybe i'm putting too much pressure on myself to lose weight too quickly. Yes the weight has gone on gradually so the best way to lose it and it keep it off is 1 - 1.5lbs a week. We all know that fad diets where you lose loads of weight really quickly, aren't sustainable x :smile:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 1.3 lbs! It takes time to lose the weight and you've made a fantastic start.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Adjust your expectations and your attitude.

This. ^

Don't get discouraged. Believe it or not, 1.3lbs is an amazing loss. 0.1lbs loss is absolutely wonderful to others. It's a loss - it's better than a gain or a kick in the teeth. You're doing great, 1lb a week is what is healthy.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    It's hard (especially when you feel you've gave it your all) but imagine how far you'll go if you stick with it vs NOT sticking with it. Read through the success stories forum. You will be motivated to keep up the good work! Good luck!