On the edge of giving up... :(

Options
In the past month, I have not yet dropped a pound; instead, I've been actually gaining. I stopped at 126.6 and my weight does not want to go down. Today, I weighed myself, and I'm up to 130.7 (that time of the month started today); I told myself this is it! I have been doing everything the same since I started MFP a little over two months ago. I've been trying very hard to keep my calories near my calorie goal (1200 cal per day), and I have been going to the gym 5-6 days a week doing weight lifting and 15 minutes of cardio every day. I am on the edge of giving up, and I am starting to get very frustrated. Do you guys have any tips on how to be positive and keep going when the scale is making it so hard?

I should add that I'm 5'2" and my hips and stomach are my biggest problem areas. I know I lost weight since I started using MFP, but I barely see any difference in my body.

Replies

• dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough if you're working out that much. Eat more, don't stress about it, and don't weigh yourself when you're on your period! Give it some time and you'll be fine.

I just looked at your ticker, if you only have 9 pounds to lose, you can not use the 'lose 2lbs a week' setting on MFP and expect to get results. When you have such little weight to lose, it will come off slowly over time. You need to shrink your calorie deficit and continue to exercise.
  • baristanatorLL
    baristanatorLL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh no! don't give up! It's about being healthy first and foremost. You should make your food diary public. I bet if you cut your carbs back you would start to lose. Stick with it---these things take time. It's not a race. <3
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    More cardio, try different things....incline on tredmill, resistance on bike, stair climber, etc...so many possibilities!
    Eat back your exercise calories! If you burn 500 calories walking, be sure to eat them up or you deprive your body. Plateaus are common, they suck, but you got to keep at it! There's light at the end of the tunnel, I promise!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem....and you know what fixed it. I ate more! Then it started just melting away. 1200 calories just didn't work for me. I upped my calories...and then it started just melting away. Find out your TDEE -20%. It really will work.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I agree that you probably need to eat more. Calculate your TDEE and eat about 20% less (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) or log your exercise and eat the earned calories back (one or the other, they should come out close to the same).

And remember, most women put on a few pounds of water weight during our periods. It's just one of the joys of being a woman. Give the scale a little break before you get back on it during this time of the month.
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel...but don't give up! Everyone goes through plateaus when losing weight and it just takes time and changing something up to break through...I went on vacation about a month ago and gained a couple of pounds and then was unable to lose it again or make any progress but then continuing my workouts and keeping to a balanced eating regimen I have broken through and lost 2.4lbs this past week. If you really are working out 5-6 days/wk you may not be eating enough.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. We are working so hard to eat better and exercise and the progress is so slow. I have lost 36lbs since January and I can't see it when I look in the mirror. My clothes are looser though and my endurance has increased. Just remember that any positive changes that you have made will result in changes both in your body and your overall health. It is working. Maybe you have to tweak some things, I'm thinking about upping my calories hoping that will jumpstart something.

This journey is a long one that can seem to just drag on and on. Surrounding yourself by encouraging, supportive and motivating MFP pals is really important on this journey.

I dont have any magic potion but I wanted you to know that you are not alone in your frustration with this process. I hope that will encourage you to stick with it and not give up on yourself.:flowerforyou:
  • yearyv
    yearyv Posts: 1
    Options
    I can assure you of this, When it is that time of the month you can forget about getting an accurate weight. When you are around that time, alot of the weight you gain is due to water retention. Relax, and try to eat food that dont have as much sodium. Also you are excersizing alot. Some of that weight gain could be cause of the muscle that you are gaining. Keep in mind that muscle weighs more that fat! Keep it up!!! You will loose the inches that you want to loose! You can do it!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing, and it is a cliche but true - to become what you are not, you have to do things you are not.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    TOM can easily add up to 5lbs. This is not the best week to be weighing yourself. Put the scale away this week, workout as usual and next Monday weigh in again.

If you are working out taht much you should be eating more. 5'2" @ 130 is not severely overweight. Your BMR is apx 1390 - so you should be NETTING at least 1390 per day. This is after your exercise calories. You don't have to eat back all of your exercise calories, but at the end of the day your NET calorie consumption should be minimum 1390!! Also drink lots of water. If you are lifting, your body retains water to heal muscles - you need to double uup your water intake. Aim for at least 100oz per day!

Don't get discouraged. Take measurements and pictures!! You'll see a change - stay focused!!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    1) Don't give up. It may be slow, but quitting will make it even slower.
    2) What do you have your weight loss goals set at for MFP? Based on your current weight and how little you have to lose, it should probably only be at 0.5lb/week, definitely not higher than 1lb/week.
    3) Are you eating back your exercise calories? That's important!
    4) Are you also taking measurements? You may not notice a difference on the scale, but your measurements will most likely show it if you're working out as much as you say.
    5) Try upping your calories to around 1350 or 1400 for a few weeks. I know it sounds counterproductive, but it really does work.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree - eat more and remember that slow and lasting is best :) Also, measurements > scale. You can gain weight and get skinnier and healthier at the same time!
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've only been lifting for a short time, but from what I've learned so far I'm wondering if you are lifting too many days per week. You really do need to give your body some recovery time. I know NROL4W recommends 2 or 3 times per week and I've seen similar recommendations from some of the other websites and books that I've looked at. I'm certainly not an expert, however,
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you give up, you know the results. However, if you keep at it you have the chance for positive results. Switch up your routine. Your body will adapt fairly quickly. Keep changing things up!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    .... my calorie goal (1200 cal per day), and I have been going to the gym 5-6 days a week doing weight lifting and 15 minutes of cardio every day.
    You're not eating enough if you're working out that much. Eat more,

THIS. You cant exercise to excess while eating so little and expect to lose. You're body is too smart for that.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Is the 1200 cal something you set or that was suggested for you? I used to be told that a fine honed engine needed fuel. That doesn't mean unlimited, just enough to keep the engine running. If you are doing that much exercise then you are burning quite a bit.. Do you track your exercise and do you eat your calories back?
  • woofers1803
    woofers1803 Posts: 23
    Options
    Eat more, lift a little less frequently but heavier, and up your protein intake. MFP can't calculate protein needs for anything. Set your macros custom to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Lifting 5-6 days a week is going to make your muscles retain a lot of water because they are swollen and not healing. If you need a set program, look at NROL4W or Stronglifts 5x5 and follow the schedule of 2-3 days a week. Any more and your body can't recover fast enough. If you are uncomfortable setting the calorie goals via the customized option, set the loss to lose half a pound a week and make sure you aren't saying you are lightly active.

The biggest thing I've learned is that you NEED to eat to lose when you are lifting. Increasing my calories by 600+ from what MFP estimated made me actually lose weight instead of being stuck on the scale and miserable in the gym.
  • joannapl91
    joannapl91 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses!

My goal weight is to be about 120-122 lbs. I do want to gain lean muscle and that is the reason for the weight lifting. I usually do weight lifting two days, then a break, then weight lifting two days again, and a break, and so on. Sometimes on my "break" days I will just do cardio for about 30 minutes. Lately, I have been so busy with work that I do take my actual breaks.

I tried to play around with MFP, but it always brings me back to only consuming 1200 cal per day. Eating only that amount of calories does not make me hungry throughout the day, but sometimes I do crave for more.

I am not in a rush of losing the pounds. I started MFP in March, because I have a special occassion in September. Since it is getting closer to the date, I'm starting to get a little worried that I will not be able to reach my goal.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Okay, your time of the month will always be your heaviest times. You are retaining all kinds of water, fluids, and extra material in there as well. I always weigh a good 5 pounds more during that time, but that's not a real weight.

STAY THE COURSE!!!

If you aren't seeing a difference in your body, you may need to change exercises. I do side bends with 3 pound weights and crunches (as I have the same problem areas). I do reps of 50 crunches, then 25 sidebends per side, then repeat. I do that until I can't (usually 4-6 times), and I have seen a difference in my belly and sides. Keep in mind that it takes time. Also - you are bulding muscles, so you weight may not change a whole lot, but your body should.

My doctor told me the best way to lose weight around your core (hips and stomach) is to run. Maybe try running (I prefer outside). It's SUPER brutal at first, but it does get better within a month or two. I do every other day and increase my mileage once I feel like I can.

Good luck. Stick with it. It'll be worth it!
  • estralla03
    estralla03 Posts: 6
    Options
    Whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP! "You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." (author unknown)
    Remember that you did not gain all the weight that you want to loose in a day and you will not lose it in a day eithor. Try breaking your weight loss journey down into smaller atainable goals instead of looking at the "big picture" to set your self up for success. Don't focus on what you can't do yet but what you can and let that motivate you to keep pushing forward. The number on the scale is a good way to stay accountable but don't let that be your main focus because it depends on so many factors. If you have a bad week and don't eat clean skip getting on the scale and get back on track first. Try to remember that by human nature we are our worst critics so don't beat yourself up rather lift yourself up and others will too. Weight loss is about making healthy lifestyle changes. One thing that really helps me to stay on track during the day is to pack my meals the night before and have good choices like veggies or fruit precut in the fridge that I can just grab. Hope this helps - and remember YOU CAN DO IT!!!