Added strength training - now gaining weight. Normal?

Options
I'm sure this has been discussed before, so forgive me if it's repetitive, but here's my thing.

I lost about 25 pounds over the past six months with diet and cardio. For the past couple months I have also been doing strength training and gradually increasing the weight and reps. I definitely am stronger than when I started and I think I can see a difference, too.

The frustrating thing is that my weight has plateaued at best, and actually seems to be going UP. It's not dramatic and I'm not freaking out about it, but it's really frustrating to feel like I'm eating the same, working out more, but not getting results.

I've read some online about how muscle is denser than fat, and maybe retains water. I have NOT been tracking measurements, so maybe that's a mistake. So far I'm OK with the idea that this is normal but I wondered if anyone else has been through something similar or has some words of wisdom for me. Thanks.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Tape measure is a good idea .... lifting weights does so much for the shape of your body.

You are right, muscle is dense .... "compact" really. Fat is the opposite of compact.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are in a deficit most likely any weight gain will be water weight. Your muscles will store the water to protect them from the damage of lifting and to aid in recovery. Once you get use to the routine, your muscles will shed most of the excess water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a progressive program, you're really taxing your muscles and they're retaining a lot of water for repair. This can really mask scale weight loss. I've personally found the tape measure and calipers to be my better friend at this point. According to the scale, I've only lost about 2 Lbs in the past 3 months...but I've lost just over an inch around my waist and another 2% BF.
  • amandamotley
    Options
    If you're still eating at a deficit you shouldn't gain any actual weight, and I definitely do recommend weighing your food (it's the only thing that's worked for me at lower body fat levels). However, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just water weight and/or a slow in loss. I definitely experienced what seemed like a plateau when I started really dedicating myself to weight training. I'd keep an eye on your weight and make sure it's not trending up, but wouldn't panic if it hangs out there for a little while. Definitely take pictures and measurements! They have SAVED me from despair a few times. Haha.

I'm definitely not an expert or anything, but what seems like happened for me is a slow in loss. If your diet is on point and you're lifting heavy weights, your weight loss is going to shift from part muscle/part fat to mostly fat, which is a GOOD THING but makes the scale discouraging. Just speaking based on my experience. I've only lost about 6 lbs in 2.5 months but my body looks completely different.
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since this topic came up, is there any automatic way (using MFP or any of the additional apps) to account for strength training in the amount of calories burned. To put it another way, is there any way to know how many calories to properly add given a specific amount of lifting? There doesn't appear to be any caloric adjustment in MFP for strength training which means it is difficult for me to tell how to adjust my eating to maintain a deficit.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Since this topic came up, is there any automatic way (using MFP or any of the additional apps) to account for strength training in the amount of calories burned. To put it another way, is there any way to know how many caolies to properly add given a specific amount of lifting? There doesn't appear to be any caloric adjustment in MFP for strength training which means it is difficult for me to tell how to adjust my eating to maintain a deficit.

There's a strength training option under the cardio exercises.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    normal. it's water retention.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It is one of two things:

1) You aren't eating at a deficient (even if you think you are). Make sure you're extremely accurate at measuring your food and logging it.
    2) Water retention which will eventually go away.

There is no way it's muscle (maybe .5 pounds of it is muscle if you've been consistently working hard at lifting for 2 months). People will not gain much muscle at all while eating at a deficit. Although that doesn't mean to stop training. You need to maintain and work the muscle mass you already have so stick with it!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    As Dav ^ says, it's normal. I started back after a break last week and I'm up about 4lbs.
  • weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definitely normal. Track your measurements from now on and you'll probably see a change in those. Also, I think whenever you start a new exercise program it takes your body a little while to get used to it. I started running (which I know isn't the same as strength training) around a month ago, and it's taken til now for my weight to start going down again. It's all good!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    DEfinately take measurements but eating at a deficit does not mean yuo can't gain muscle. This was proven in the last episodes of the most recent Biggest Loser series where the final winner, Danni, went in for her post competition check up with the doctor and he stated that she lost X amount of pounds while GAINING 19lbs of pure Muscle. She never gained through the series and registed losses of not less than 2lbs per week during the series.

I highly recommend the tape measure :flowerforyou: It will show you losses he scale may not.
  • yittosity
    yittosity Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Very encouraging. I thought it probably was a normal thing but it's nice to get some confirmation. I've been meaning to track measurements for a while, so I'll definitely do that.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since this topic came up, is there any automatic way (using MFP or any of the additional apps) to account for strength training in the amount of calories burned. To put it another way, is there any way to know how many caolies to properly add given a specific amount of lifting? There doesn't appear to be any caloric adjustment in MFP for strength training which means it is difficult for me to tell how to adjust my eating to maintain a deficit.

There's a strength training option under the cardio exercises.

Thanks. I see that now but unfortunately it looks like it only measures minutes so 20 minutes with 100 lb. lifts is equal to 20 minutes with 10 lb. lifts which wouldn't work out. I know that it is relative depending on the person but I was hoping there was something more somewhere.
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Again, it's normal. It's should be a TON of weight, and make sure you are still eating at a deficit, but some weight gain is normal. Water, muscle mass... both very likely.

For example.. I just started heavy lifting 3 weeks ago (after not doing it for almost a decade) I am up two pounds, but down 2% bodyfat and have lost an inch in my hips, chest, legs and waist... in three weeks. But yes, the scale is up.

Start tracking measurements and body fat if possible... if that's increasing, then adjust.

Also, I would give it some more time... I think 12 weeks of committed and routine lifting, then really check your progress.