5:2

Options
melcookson
melcookson Posts: 146 Member
Any success stories of people following this plan? Thinking of doing it, is it as straightforward as eating normally for 5 days and having 500 calories for two on consecutive days?......

Replies

• melcookson
    Options
    And what would a typical fasting day menu look like... Thanks in advance
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Be sure to find a soft place to land when you pass out.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Wrong site..this is for healthy only.

??

That's really supportive.
  • lina1131
    Options
    Good luck. Be sure to find a soft place to land when you pass out.

This is really supportive also. :huh:
  • melcookson
    Options
    Thanks for your support :)
    I have lost 22lbs already and reached a plateau
  • lina1131
    Options
    I did 5:2 for one week and realized it wasn't for me. NOT because I was going to pass out, but I personally like to eat more than 500 calories every single day so it just didn't really fit my lifestyle. However, a lot of people do intermittent fasting with success and as long as you are eating enough on the non-fasting days, then you should be okay. Also, do not do the 500 calories on 2 consecutive days. Split them.
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on here doing it and he's losing and his Dr. Is aware of what he's doing. It's really working for him!
  • melcookson
    Options
    That's great to hear, I have quite an active job and eat very little during the day, never have, so I wouldn't miss it during the day, I'd just have to learn to not snack so much in the evenings. I'm going to try a fast day tomorrow and see how I get on
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 is still a healthy option as long as you are not recovering from an eating disorder. You eat at maintenance 5 days and 1/4 of that on fasted days. A lot of people on this site use fasting days or windows as calorie control. It's just a method that is effective if it suits your lifestyle. OP..I've considered it ...I fast naturally as in not eating breakfast as such. I break the fast later in the day than some. This is because when I eat breakfast..I'm usually hungrier the rest of the day but I'm also not hungry when I wake up so I don't force it. See leangains.com. If you google 5:2 you will find some food options for fasting days.
  • kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Have a look in the group section , couple of groups with friendly advice x
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Have a look in the group section , couple of groups with friendly advice x

This ^^^^^
    Plus not really a diet, more healthy life style choice, and the 2 days do not have to be consecutive
    As OP is UK based, it was I think a Channel 4 documentary, by a fully qualified medical doctor, who investigated & followed this plan, which seemed to give many life prolonging benefits

No doubt a google search will provide more detail

PS, later post by sijomial has it correctly
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Any success stories of people following this plan? Thinking of doing it, is it as straightforward as eating normally for 5 days and having 500 calories for two on consecutive days?......

Two non-consecutive days. Men get 600 calories.

Two active groups on here full of success stories.
    www.thefastdiet.co.uk is the website for Dr Michael Mosley who presented the BBC Horizon program and co-wrote the book.

It's been brilliant for me, both when I was losing weight and also now I'm maintaining. Intend doing this for the foreseeable future.
  • Guitar1969
    Guitar1969 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wish people would actually do the research before passing judgement. On the contrary, the latest studies are finding Intermittant Fasting to be very healthy and are finding that it is an effective deterrant to Cancer and other diseases (Dementia). In fact, brain activity is increased during fasting. They are also finding that those who do have cancer respond to treatments such as Chemo better while fasting. Weight loss is actually a secondary benefit. There are numerous studies going on by all the major research institutes regarding it now.

I have been on it for 2 weeks now, and doing very well with it. Eating 600 calories on my fast days - yogurt, eggs, salad. My first fast day was not even too bad as I had already kicked insulin resistance, which for some will cause the headaches the first few times. But you need to make sure you are eating close to your TDEE on the nonfast days. Also drink a ton of water. You don't want to try to cut to many calories on those days and want to eat health on those days as well, but not go to far over. Normal weight loss is about a pound a week due to the restricted calories on the 2 days, but I have been eating very healthy on the feeding days as well and losing about 2lbs a week. I like it because it is simple when I am at work (HAte having to plan all sorts of meals), I know that it is only short term, and can plan around big holidays. And if you have a bad day (like we all do) you just fast the following day and cleanse your system.
  • melcookson
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to try a fast day today eeks
  • erinpaterson95
    Options
    I just started this! My first 500 calorie day was yesterday I thought I was going to really struggle and actually found it no problem at all. Especially when you can remind yourself that tomorrow you can eat all those foods you want to and not need to worry about it :)
    When you start to look at how many calories everything has it's super easy to find food to eat.
    My menu was as follows;
    Breakfast;
    Quaker Oats Porridge Sachet
    Lunch;
    50g Pepper
    50g Cucumber
    5 Cherry Tomatoes
    10g Salad Leaves
    100g Mediterranean Vegetable Soup
    Dinner;
    100g Chicken Noodle Soup
    Snacks;
    3 Melba Toast
    15g Soft Cheese

And even then I didn't hit 5o0 calories!

Just remember to drink loads of water so you don't dehydrate yourself.

Good Luck!

Oh if you need extra information Kate Harrison's book - 'The 5:2 Diet Book' is really useful!