Make your OWN Healthy '100-Calorie Snack Packs'

Options
100-Calorie Snack Packs
Off the Shelf? No. From Your Kitchen? Yes!

Thinking about adding them to your shopping cart? Don't bite! Commercial 100-calorie snack packs are full of unhealthy, empty calories. Why not create your own healthy snack packs? You can do better than what's in the typical 100-calorie snack packs.

Try these:

1. 3 dates stuffed with an almond in place of the pit (90 calories)

2. Ryvita cracker (2 cracker) with 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (140 calories)

3. Medium orange + 6 whole cashews (110 calories)

4. Small apple + 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter (150)

5. Yogurt (½ cup plain) + 5 almonds (105 calories)

6. 3 cups air-popped popcorn (80 calories) + 1 teaspoon canola oil + dash of salt (120 calories)

7. Banana, peeled and frozen (120 calories)

8. Kashi TLC granola bar (140 calories); when buying "healthy" energy bars look for varieties that have at least 3 grams of fiber per 150 calories.

9. Hard boiled egg (75 calories)

10. 14 raw almonds, 1 miniature box of raisins (130 calories)

Never thought to freeze a banana and eat it, sounds perfect for Summer!
Some great ideas up above from a site I came upon, beats buying those expensive unhealthy cookies and such, that aren't actually cookies! :sick: :tongue:

If I'm in a cookie mood I love to go to my Health food store and buy one homemade cookie, eat 1/2, then stick the other 1/2 in the freezer for another time. Gives me that kick that I want and it's only one cookie in my house! ;o) Whew! Far safer for me:glasses:

But hey, that's what works for me, we all gotta make our own choices on this journey:drinker:
Becca:flowerforyou:

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    Great Ideas!

but...

my 100 cal packs taste oh so good! lol
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I do the same. So much healthier and cheaper than the store's 100 calorie packs. I buy the tiny snack sized zip lock baggies and every week when I get home from the grocery store, wash my fruits, veggies and divy up in the snack bags (weigh them out, too!). That way making my lunch for work takes me no time and when I'm hungry for a snack, I grab exactly 1 portion sized amount.
  • justahorsen
    justahorsen Posts: 234
    Options
    I do the same. So much healthier and cheaper than the store's 100 calorie packs. I buy the tiny snack sized zip lock baggies and every week when I get home from the grocery store, wash my fruits, veggies and divy up in the snack bags (weigh them out, too!). That way making my lunch for work takes me no time and when I'm hungry for a snack, I grab exactly 1 portion sized amount.

I do the same thing with my lunch....I even buy the big bag of raisins and make my own mini bags.....weigh every thing on my scale and get it ready to drop in the lunchbox....
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    A frozen banana tastes like a yummy ice cream. I love it! Great ideas too, thanks for the list.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

I do the same thing with my lunch....I even buy the big bag of raisins and make my own mini bags.....weigh every thing on my scale and get it ready to drop in the lunchbox....
    I love a mix of raisins and almonds so I'm with you girls, snack size baggies, measure out my items and do up a bunch at once. The price is by far much less and way healthier for me! Definitely time saving I agree!:wink:

• recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options

That is a fantastic idea! Once I go back to school in sept i will have to do that, otherwise i think i'll fall into the trap of being too 'busy' to make lunch and buying unhealthy stuff at school
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks Becca, I'm gonna print this off
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Great! Thanks Becca, I'm gonna print this off
    Anything for you Maggie M'dear:wink:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas on the list :)

I've just started to do this, as well, and I'm still busy experimenting with combinations.
    Today's baggie is almonds + dried cherries for around 80cal.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas on the list :)

I've just started to do this, as well, and I'm still busy experimenting with combinations.
    Today's baggie is almonds + dried cherries for around 80cal.
    Sounds like another great combo!

Definitely be great to hear ideas from others, it's so handy to toss in my purse, my gym bag, desk drawer, car etc. There in case you need it.

• dawnrenee
    dawnrenee Posts: 4
    Options
    I like the idea of making my own snack packs. I do like nuts, but hate the "flavored' ones in the cans at stores. Guess I'll have to see if I can find them "fresh" or whatever you want call it in the produce section. Not a raisin fan...not even a grape fan. I am chopping up a couple Claussen pickles to take to work with me for snacking on.

OP? What was this site you found the snack ideas on?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I like the idea of making my own snack packs. I do like nuts, but hate the "flavored' ones in the cans at stores. Guess I'll have to see if I can find them "fresh" or whatever you want call it in the produce section. Not a raisin fan...not even a grape fan. I am chopping up a couple Claussen pickles to take to work with me for snacking on.

OP? What was this site you found the snack ideas on?
    oh phoey, I thought I posted the link, let me check on it tomorrow, my brain is close to sleeping now!:yawn:

• JoannieJenkins
    JoannieJenkins Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Awesome info y'all. I am a grazer, so when I snack I want it to last. My latest favorite is a cup of General Mills Multigrain Cheerios (dry). For about 120 calories. I munch them all afternoon, one at a time. ;) Thanks again for the great ideas!