SOS - Healthy Chinese Carryout options?

Options
Forever4me
Forever4me Posts: 76 Member
My brother is coming to town tonight...he's from a small town, so he doesn't have a Chinese restaurant, and it's his FAVORITE, so when he comes to visit, he loves to order Chinese. I've only ordered it once since I've been on MFP, and was appalled at what I thought was relatively healthy Kung Pao chicken (meat not fried, lots of veggies), was NOT...I looked at several options, and they were all about 400+ calories per CUP....without rice. Needless to say, I've just been avoiding it altogether. So - in trying to make this a lifestyle change, without complete deprivation, any suggestions on some healthier alternatives? I like most everything and am not too picky...in fact, the more veggies, the better.

Dinner is in 2 hours!

Thank you!

Replies

• badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Most Chiense Food Restaurants will have a veggie dish (steamed veggies) They can have oils/butters but you could ask for without. Load up on that and have a small portion of something else.

Also, if you're eating from home, why can't you cook up your own dinner and just have a sampling of what your brother orders? My number one success tip so far is admitting to others you're being healthy and having no shame in it.

I go out to dinner, or go to family dinners and bring my own healthy additions all time.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ask for 'sauce on side' (anyone know where that saying is from?!) but really, the sauce is where all the calories (and SOOO much sodium) is. So I'd ask for your chicken and veggies to be cooked up separately, then get the sauce on the side. That way, you can add a little. Steer clear of all the noodles and rices (maybe ask if they have brown rice)... and soups- those are just like salt soup!
    Chicken, veggies, etc - good... I think the worst part of Chinese food is all the sodium- that's what makes you hungry later. Salt adds to hunger!!!
    Or, if you love all that other stuff (sweet and sour, etc - which again, all the sauce is loaded with salt and sugar)... just watch your portions. Have a few bites of each- but that's it! Eat slowly and drink lots of water... you'll get full and will find that you've eaten less than usual. Good luck and enjoy. "Sauce on Side!"
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually get Veggie Chop Suey with no noodles. It's very high in sodium though, so if you have issues with bloating this may not be too helpful. Most of the calories does come from the rice, so I usually just mix in a few tablespoons for the texture.
  • Forever4me
    Forever4me Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million! Great suggestions! Super helpful!
  • jtangcs
    jtangcs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try going for dishes that are typically steamed instead of stir-fry... and I would stay away from any of the noodles, as Chinese noodles typically are fried first.

Steamed dumplings, Wonton soup, chicken with snow peas are usually my go-to's when I'm really needing to cut the calories.