Hi, I'm Mark and I plan to lose 200 lbs

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    hey mark, personally i think that's a bit too much exercises just starting out.

keep in mind you're here to build habits, and habits are done with baby steps and time, so be patient.

I disagree. 60 minutes of walking isn't that bad and he WILL be developing habits from it. Plus it is a great way to unwind, thus decreasing his stress levels.

I agree with this. Walking to and from work, for example, is a great habit to get into. OP, you've got this.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Welcome to the community!

Yes, take everyone's advice - you will have bad times, but hopefully more good. Don't let one bad meal/day/week mess with your overall success. You can do this!

I learned that when you're tired, keep pushing. Do the extra walk/rep/sit up whatever it may be. You'll feel better in the end.

Every once in a while, indulge. NOW, I'm NOT saying eat 7,000 calories a day or anything crazy! But if you have a hunkering for a good juicy burger, and you've been doing well, have the burger. Just don't have the burger, the fries, the 60 oz soda, and the ice cream shake with it. Moderation is key! And even on those indulgences... LOG IT! I log EVERY bite, good or bad, some days I feel good, some days I see my mistakes but I learn from it, because it's all logged and I know everyone else can see my diary too.

Keep your chin up. Trust me, you can do this. No one said it would be easy, no one said changes would happen over night. But, in the long run, you're got a great attitude to make it happen.

Best of luck to you!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just remember that "bad" food won't ruin your day if you stay in your calories, I used to just say "screw it, I messed up and ate a cheeseburger, might as well eat 3 more!"

It's also not linear, you will lose some quickly and then nothing for a few weeks, doesn't mean you're failing!!!!
  • rose_gian
    rose_gian Posts: 43
    Options
    Awesome goal and planning.
  • pamelasue1949
    pamelasue1949 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Suggestions only!

Portion control.
    Chew every bite until it is mushy
    6 meals a day: divided your calories between your 6 meals
    100 calorie snacks
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
    Don't eat after 6pm.
    Don't eat and watch Tv, or read or visit with friends while eating.
    Concentrate on what you eat and how much you eat.
    Plan your meals ahead of time.
    Always have your snack food prepared in the refridgerator.
    Get rid of food items that you have that are wasted calories.
    No soda, juices, sugar, candy, flour, pastas or potatoes. Sweet potatoes fine.
    No fried foods. No processed foods.
    Whole grains only.
    Low Fat dairy products.
    Stay away from caffeine.
    Fruits, vegetables, salads with low fat dressing, 4 oz portions of lean beef.
    Chicken, fish, turkey, sea food, baked, broiled, grilled, poached.

Pam-lost 38 # so far.
    Good luck!!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

keep in mind you're here to build habits, and habits are done with baby steps and time, so be patient.

30 minutes of walking sounds pretty sensible to me.

Yep. how else will you get Pu's legs.

Don't hate cause i have a thigh gap.
    Damn man, you got me. Your legs look smoother than mine too.:cry:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Good luck! And I am jealous of your shop gym. Wish I had my own power rack.:grumble:

Me, too!!

Best of luck, Mark!! I'm here cheering you on!! :smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Damn man, you got me. Your legs look smoother than mine too.:cry:

It isn't June 21st yet.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Good luck and we are all here for you!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Not hating. Those are very pretty legs. Shave or wax? I bet the bra helps give them an elongated view :). WTG on getting those legs
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    what he said
    Hi Mark!!!!

Congrats to you on starting the journey. My humble advice:

1. Don't expect too much too soon
    2. Log in every day
    3. Don't stop!!!
    4. Keep a reasonable margin of negative calories
    5. Expect set-backs
    6. Don't ever stop!!!!!!!!!!!!
    7. Provide support to others and you'll see it in return
    8. Did I mention Don't Stop?
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think you have a great plan to start everything off with. Since you are an ex power lifter and strongman I am sure you know a lot about what to do later when you are fit and ready enough to be lifting again. I wish you all the best!! Cheering ya on...I am also in Ontario by the way...I sent you an add.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Can I ask what is too much about 30 minute walk???

I was going to quote someone else on the same subject, but i saw your post that would address the question better. I think he said he will walk 2x a day for 30mins.

When i was at his weight I couldn't even walk 10mins. I would have to walk 8mins take a break then walk another 2. People would talk crap about me only walking "10mins" saying, "you will never lose weight like that." They didn't see the big picture, i did.

My goal wasn't to lose weight, my goal was to build the habit of doing something 5x a week. Once the habit of doing something for 10mins was engrained aka very easy i then increased the time and continued till i built up to 1hr and 30mins.

My concern it might be too much for him, right now.

Ahh, I understand ya. Well, there is no way to find out what his soft limits are until he gets out to do it. I started out at 340lbs and I was able to walk for an hour each night with no real trouble. I assume since he is a Heating and Air guy and the fairly physical nature of his job, he should be fine.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Suggestions only!

Portion control.
    100 calorie snacks
    Don't eat after 6pm.
    Whole grains only.
    Low Fat dairy products.
    Stay away from caffeine.

Pam-lost 38 # so far.
    Good luck!!

Don't do this lol

The worst thing you can do is eliminate things from your diet, you will crave it and over eat it when you get the chance, it isn't a diet...It's a lifestyle change. I lost 91lbs in 1 year and I didn't eliminate any foods from my diet, most of my friends on here are the same.

Another thing is to add like minded people as friends because it will keep you coming back to say hello and banter, if you're logging in everyday to say hi...you might as well log!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Suggestions only!

Portion control.
    100 calorie snacks
    Don't eat after 6pm.
    Whole grains only.
    Low Fat dairy products.
    Stay away from caffeine.

Pam-lost 38 # so far.
    Good luck!!

Don't do this lol

The worst thing you can do is eliminate things from your diet, you will crave it and over eat it when you get the chance, it isn't a diet...It's a lifestyle change. I lost 91lbs in 1 year and I didn't eliminate any foods from my diet, most of my friends on here are the same.

Another thing is to add like minded people as friends because it will keep you coming back to say hello and banter, if you're logging in everyday to say hi...you might as well log!

Don't listen to the original post of this. There is some broscience going on.

Focus in getting to your calorie goals first. Don't adopt an all or nothing attitude and go for those walks. If you can do 30min, high five! WTG! If not, then set it as a mini-goal and just keep at it!
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Something tells me a former powerlifter can figure out what he can handle

my thoughts exactly. Just make sure you are eating enough. You should net at least 1200 calories--making wise food choices of course.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you sir :) I make a conscious effort to walk because not only is it great physical health, but also mental. I don't know how to sum it up, but when you exchange smiles with other people and see owners walking their pets just enjoying the weather, absorbing the vitamin-D from the sun, and actually spending time to "smell the roses" it's an exercise I won't soon give up.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Hi Mark!!!!

Congrats to you on starting the journey. My humble advice:

1. Don't expect too much too soon
    2. Log in every day
    3. Don't stop!!!
    4. Keep a reasonable margin of negative calories
    5. Expect set-backs
    6. Don't ever stop!!!!!!!!!!!!
    7. Provide support to others and you'll see it in return
    8. Did I mention Don't Stop?

Exactly this^^^ Also, two rules
    1. Dont ever quit
    2. Dont forget rule # 1

Good luck to you Mark!! Look forward to following your journey!
  • tackbb
    tackbb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Great! Stick with it and you'll be able to do it. Good luck!