skinny fat

Options

Replies

• Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It means you look pretty good with clothes on even slim, but when they come off you are flabby

haha, I might be a horrible person, but i'm okay with that right now!
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    an extreme example of skinny fat. she's skinny but you can see how unattractively flabby she is. not pretty.

http://fivehourfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/skinny-fat-female-model.jpg

skinny-fat-female-model.jpg
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Is it one of these body builder terms where they think everyone wants to be muscly like them. which they don't. :/

I just cant imagine how such a body would look. skinny and fat are opposite!!

imagine 130 lb person with FLAB and floppy legs, and floppy arms .. that's the only way I can describe it. when we loose weight WITHOUT THE SLIGHTEST use of any weights, we tend to loose muscle also, so to avoid that, incorporate weights. even if there the tiniest you can lift, anything is better then nothing to avoid.... SKINNY FAT!! LOL
    Maybe I am too fat to see flab on a light person. I sort of see what you mean in the pic but I would never say she was anything like fat in either pic.But interesting how you can transform without lose weight.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    an extreme example of skinny fat. she's skinny but you can see how unattractively flabby she is. not pretty.

http://fivehourfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/skinny-fat-female-model.jpg
    wow, that is a perfect example!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

agreed
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know a few skinny fat people, I'd say its also not just about flab, but also how you carry your weight. A friend of mine is skinny as in tall wears a size UK6 jeans, but she has a tummy so I consider her skinny fat, I also don't think its all about BF% as well because my BF has a low BF%, but I call him skinny fat as well because his muscular accept for his tummy he has a slight pouch.

So to me skinny fat is when you overall skinny, but you carry some weight in your stomach area (that's usually where it is), you can be fit and skinny fat. Its just due to diet reasons you carry a lil bit of fat in one area as oppose to everywhere.
  • joselo2
    Options

agreed
    To me, she is really slim and hot. I think this is why I cannot understand it. Fat and flabby is me, not models!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    it is an oxymoron. You can be skinny and unfit but not skinny and fat. It is a term that seems to get thrown around on MFP a lot

I agree with this.

Skinny fat appears to mean having 30% body fat and being at a low BMI (both of those things need to be present). I think this is a pretty rare situation. But, it's certainly worth avoiding.

You have found and will continue to see that it is an overused and misused term on mfp and people often use it without applying common sense. It can also lead to disorder because of the misuse leading to an expectation of absolute, flawless perfection.

It can also lead to people posting a lot of meme photos of random strangers that they actually have no real data about.
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm REALLY embarrassed by this but I'll show it anyways since I was a pretty good example of someone who was "skinny fat".

This was while I was just starving myself to get thin, but when I did actually allow myself to eat, I would eat complete crap & didn't workout. :/ I was sick & always tired and I looked sick & tired. It was disgusting but at the time I didn't even realize it cause I was just too obsessed with just being thin & didn't care about exercise or being healthy.

Now I do Pilates 5 - 6 days a week & eat healthy foods and stuff.
    I look way better now at a much heavier weight than I did back when I was skinny fat.

skinnyfat_zpsa4aa1aa6.png
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    this is attractive??

http://www.herdaily.com/health/11082/when-is-skinny-unhealthy.html

skinny%20fat.jpg

I agree. It's a nonsensical term. It's really just people with low muscle mass and a higher body fat percentage than would be expected at that weight. But that's a big mouthful.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's hard to understand for someone who is overweight, because it definitely falls under "I wish I had your problems". But for someone who is after a very athletic look, "skinny fat" is an undesirable state. It might mean you have cellulite on your thighs, or no visible sixpack, or even love handles.

Compare two people who seem to occupy the same amount of space but one looks very athletic and the other doesn't. You can do that easily here, just enter a height and weight range and you'll see a lot of very different bodies:

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

The skinny-fat phenomenon is also why people criticize the BMI way of measuring fitness. For people in the normal-to-slightly-above-normal range, there is a world of difference in appearance (and possibly health) between someone who has a high BMI but a lot of lean body mass and someone who is skinny fat.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I'm REALLY embarrassed by this but I'll show it anyways since I was a paretty good example of someone who was "skinny fat".

The first one was before I got over weight for the first time. I just didn't work out and ate whatever I wanted without caring about it at all.

The one on the right was while I was just starving myself to get thin, but when I did actually allow myself to eat, I would eat complete crap & didn't workout. :/
    I was sick & always tired and I looked sick & tired. It was disgusting but at the time I didn't even realize it cause I was just too obsessed with just being thin & didn't care about exercise or being healthy.

skinnyfat_zpscb096da8.png

Now I do Pilates 5 - 6 days a week & eat healthy foods and stuff. I look way better now at a much heavier weight than I did back when I was skinny fat.

Off topic, but that black shirt you are wearing in the first pic is super cute.
  • wildfirediva
    wildfirediva Posts: 212
    Options
    Skinny Fat....They both have relatively the same body fat %.....

thin_women.jpg
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Haha, thanks! ^.^
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I think I could be a perfect example. I will see if I can find pictures to post. I have been on this site for about 10 months and eating well and working out and have gained 2 pounds. However my body is firmer and more compact. I have lost inches and my clothes are baggie on me.

Pre myfitnesspal I would have been skinny fat.
  • joselo2
    Options
    I'm REALLY embarrassed by this but I'll show it anyways since I was a paretty good example of someone who was "skinny fat".

The first one was before I got over weight for the first time. I just didn't work out and ate whatever I wanted without caring about it at all.

The one on the right was while I was just starving myself to get thin, but when I did actually allow myself to eat, I would eat complete crap & didn't workout. :/
    I was sick & always tired and I looked sick & tired. It was disgusting but at the time I didn't even realize it cause I was just too obsessed with just being thin & didn't care about exercise or being healthy.

skinnyfat_zpscb096da8.png

Now I do Pilates 5 - 6 days a week & eat healthy foods and stuff. I look way better now at a much heavier weight than I did back when I was skinny fat.

love your look!!
  • missathletic
    Options
    When people say they're "skinny fat", they mean that they are skinny, but live an unhealthy lifestyle. Being thin usually lies in their genetics, and therefore they can eat lots of junk and not exercise and maintain their figure. This does not indicate though, that they are in good health.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    avk30j.jpg

Before: 137lbs 26% body fat After 136lbs 20% body fat. Any questions?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Skinny Fat....They both have relatively the same body fat %.....

thin_women.jpg

And you know this how?

The person on the right looks skinny to me. I don't see how anyone could call her fat.

So, if the fit woman has 18% bodyfat, that means the skinny woman does as well. That makes her skinny with low LBM, but it does not make her fat. No one with a low bodyfat% is fat. That is an incorrect use of the term.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    To me it means they may be thin and young, but at 54, I could kick their *kitten*. ;^)