ZUMBA...what is it???

Options
Can someone give me some info on Zumba??? I've heard quite a few ppl talk about it and I know a few gyms around here that have Zumba classes. I'm a Christian so I can't do any risque' dance moves, but it sounds fun, and I'd like to know more about it....

Replies

• Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    Hi there :) Zumba is a Latin-inspired dance fitness phenomenon that is the brain-child of Beto Perez. It integrates world music with aerobic and dance moves for a full-body cardio workout.

I think it depends on the instructor as far as the type of moves. Some teach traditional salsa/samba/bachata/merengue along with hip-hop, belly-dance and bollywood. My advice is to try a few classes in various locations and see which instructor suits you. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me, as I've been teaching for 2 years ;)

peace.
  • enromero
    enromero Posts: 104
    Options
    I do know around here (in Indiana) many of the churches offer Zumba classes soooo...I wouldnt worry about it if I was u!! Try it, Its a blast!!

Erin
  • stacey2480
    stacey2480 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    miss tanya... i too am a christian.. and am a ministers child... spirit filled and the whole nine yards... but zumba is latin dancing put to music and designed to work your entire body... there isnt anything wrong with zumba dance fitness. God wants us to be healthy and fit... and that include your hips and butt, thighs and all... with all you do... if you are doing it with a pure heart... your fine.. and not to mention.. is usually an aerobic class setting...its amazing and many of our church members are loving it... search for it on youtube.... have a blessed day...
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Zumba is the coolest workout that never felt like one....
    Latin dance, reggaetone, salsa, cumbia, even bollywood shake, but esp. spanish pop.....
    the moves and the music are really something to be experienced!

I Zumba 3 x a week, love it :tongue:
  • Shan80
    Shan80 Posts: 47
    Options
    you can youtube zumba and watch a video of it. It's SOOO much fun!
    A local woman in my area became an instructor and started classes in our area. I really wanted to try it but at first I was too embarrassed to do so - I come from a VERY small community where everyone talks about everyone else and are very judgemental. I was also scared that I would get there and not even make it through the first 15 minutes - let alone a whole hours worth of it.

Now with that said - I got off my butt and decided that I'd give it one try at least - if it was something I didn't like or couldn't do then I just wouldn't go back.
    I got to that first class and we started and I LOVED IT!! I never once felt embarassed, and not only that but I made it through the whole entire hour without pause at all! I was sweating like a crazy person but I DID IT!! I was so happy with myself! I went back and did a full month of 2 classes a week - then circumstances came up out of my control and I had to stop the last few weeks of class. There is a new one starting soon and I cannot wait to get back into it!

It's a fantastic workout and it's FUN!

Regardling the regligious part of it - like Stacey said - it's exercise. There is really nothing 'erotic" or anything about it - it's just good fun and great exercise. There are 4 churches in our area that offer the classes. I'm sure it would be fine!
  • amoreco
    amoreco Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm a Christian too. I think is all depend how you use the dance moviment. ( to seduce or for fitness?) I love to dance and I lost a lot weigth having fun with. Zumba is good for your body and mind. Enjoy!!!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's like Jazzercise to Latin music - only more dance - cha cha cha, etc. Alot of fun. Google it and there are some You Tube videos you can watch. Some of the instructors do a really bouncy style which is not good for my knees - but I now have an instructor who is more into the dancing (she is a dancer) and I LOVE it!
  • fun_mom
    fun_mom Posts: 54
    Options
    I take a weekly Zumba class offered through my town's Park District and it's so much fun! I say give it a shot. It is a lot of hip swaying and Latin dance moves but your there with a bunch of women usually who are just having a good time getting fit! I wouldn't deem it risqué. I used to dance for many years and this class has reminded me how much I love dance and is inspiring me to be active and healthy.
  • cameron_en
    cameron_en Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm a Christian so I can't do any risque' dance moves....

:laugh: