What's your routine at the gym?

Options
cln714
cln714 Posts: 174 Member
I always feel like I have no idea what to do. I usually do this:

1. Walk/jog for about 35 mins
2. Stretch for a little bit
3. Strength training. Split up days between arms, legs, stomach
4. Attempt to reach my calorie goal. Lately I've been trying to burm 400 cals. So I see where I'm at, at this point and then go on the stair master or eliptical to burn off the rest of the cals.
(This is a total of about 1 1/2 hours.)

To be honest, I have no idea if this is the best way to do it.

What's your workout routine?

Do you have any ideas how I could make my time at the gym more effective???

Replies

• KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I usually do 60 minutes on the elliptical, alternate days I use the machines to tone but I still sometimes finish up on the elliptical for about 30 minutes (I love how many calories I can burn on it) Since the weather has been so nice I also ride my bike to and from the gym which is about 3 miles round trip.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Id love to hear some other replies, I joined the gym today and did about 50 mins (25 mins treadmill walking and jogging, 5 mins on the rowing mahine, 5 mins on the bike and 5 mins on the cross trainer) I also did some strength training but i dunno what the machines are called for that :(
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That seems reasonable but you may want to change up your routine every 4-6 weeks to shock your body and you will burn more calories in a shorter period of time and limit the risk or repetitive strain injuries.

By changing up your routine I mean you can change from walking to biking or swimming etc. and you should change the exercises you do for strength training. i.e. If you always to leg press change to squats then back (do leg press for 4 weeks then squats for 4-6 weeks instead and so on) This will work the same muscles in a different way and you will see much more results than doing the same thing over and over again for weeks on end.

Good luck.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    go 4-5 times a week before breakfast when I'm at college.
    jog, bike, or elliptical for 35-ish minutes.
    maybe do some pushups, wallsits, lunges or whatever but only a couple times a week.
    listen to killer music and think about how awesome I feel and how cool my body's capabilities are throughout.

repeat.

other suggestions: don't go to the gym so much. walk more, do stuff around the house, dance. it costs less.
  • mpos
    mpos Posts: 55
    Options
    My routine at the "gym" in reality it's the park/home:happy:

I do my Couch to 5K program at the park, then do Shred at home for 20 mins. I just finished week 7 of the C25K program (25mins) of non-stop running and 10mins for pre/post run walk. Based on the exercise tracker here, I burn about 390-400cals for these workouts. I don't know how accurate that is but at least I'm off the couch, right? :drinker:

Since I only have 2 weeks left in the C25K program, I have rewarded myself with a Polar FT7F HRM. It will arrive in the mail soon. That HRM will allow me to track cals burned. When I do get it, I'll let you know how much closer/farther it is from MFP's counter.

Until then, let's get moving. :wink:
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    I typically go to the gym 4 days per week. I almost always just run on the treadmill. Typically 60-65 minutes, 5-6 miles. I mix up the pace and incline so I don't get too bored. On Saturday or Sunday morning I do a long run (6-10 miles usually).

I have been trying to work back into lifting, but I'm just not excited about it like I used to be. I get to the gym and all I want to do is run :-) But, when I'm being "good", I'll often have one or two days per week when I lift weights (all upper body) and then swim.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    More effective would be strength first, then cardio. It's been proven that you burn more calories this way and it's more effective for fat loss, apparently! When I used my gym, I would do my whole strength routine which included arms AND legs (took awhile - mreh! I split it up nowadays) and then I would either do 30 or so minutes on the elliptical pushing pretty hard or I would run intervals for 15-20 minutes. Now I don't use my gym as much as this is what my exercise looks like:

5 minute warm up jumping rope
    15-20 minutes strength training (arms OR legs - will usually do a couple exercises of the opposite, such as: on an arm day, I do plie squats, on a leg day, I do a few arm exercises with my resistance band)
    20 minutes brisk barefoot walk (I'm easing my way into barefoot running so I'm walking first - but before I started this, I was doing a normal 30 minute brisk walk with sneakers and I burned more because I didn't have to focus on my stride)

On cardio only days (which aren't really cardio only days anymore! haha!) I do Ab Ripper X which is 17 minutes, then Pilates which is about 21 minutes, then I do another 20 minute brisk barefoot walk.

I alternate these two days every other day.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Before I started Crossfit, my workout looked something like this:

- 5 min treadmill walk to loosen up
    - Look over strength training program for the day and do a few reps of each movement with a light-weight to warmup
    - 20 minutes or so strength-training. I followed programs that emphasized 5-6 compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, lunges, rows, etc. Stuff you will find on stumptuous.com and the New Rules of Lifting books
    - 5-10 min stretching

I don't use cardio machines. I'd ride my mountain bike for cardio.

With Crossfit, I don't have a routine, other than a basic warmup and stretching.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Not knowing what to do on the weight machines is exactly why I go the dvd route. With my dvd there is structure and direction as to proper form, etc. Though, I am doing the same program, I change things up by changing the weights and reps I do.

I still go to the gym, but really only for change of cardio. Some days I do 30 mins Elliptical and 30 mins on the treadmill; on other days I do Zumba classes, and I spin every Saturday morning.
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I use the YMCA whihc I havent in weeks since I have no vehicle during the week anymore but soon I will have my lovely van back. Anyways the YMCA uses FITLINX system which is great since I would have no idea how to use the equipment without it and it tells me which machines to do and how many repsand so forth. So when I go I do the machines first since I usualy have a time limit and I wanna get that in first cuz I can always walk at home for cardio, then I do whatever time I have left on the eliptiacl or something like that other then the treadmill since I would rather cut off a limb then use the treadmill. My kids are in the childwatch during this time so I always go an hour before it closes so my poor kids dont have to be in there longer then an hour. (though they seem to LOVE that place)
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    For those who feel like a full body routine is too time consuming, I suggest looking into compound movements. Avoid isolation exercises like bicep curls and leg machines. Take a look at resources at stumptuous.com and check out New Rules for Lifting (There's a specific Women's edition as well) from the library. You can hit all the areas of your body in under 30 minutes. It doesn't have to be time consuming to build strength.
  • cln714
    Options
    That seems reasonable but you may want to change up your routine every 4-6 weeks to shock your body and you will burn more calories in a shorter period of time and limit the risk or repetitive strain injuries.

By changing up your routine I mean you can change from walking to biking or swimming etc. and you should change the exercises you do for strength training. i.e. If you always to leg press change to squats then back (do leg press for 4 weeks then squats for 4-6 weeks instead and so on) This will work the same muscles in a different way and you will see much more results than doing the same thing over and over again for weeks on end.

Good luck.

That sounds like really good advice. I definitely try switching it up every few weeks!! Thank you.
  • cln714
    Options
    For those who feel like a full body routine is too time consuming, I suggest looking into compound movements. Avoid isolation exercises like bicep curls and leg machines. Take a look at resources at stumptuous.com and check out New Rules for Lifting (There's a specific Women's edition as well) from the library. You can hit all the areas of your body in under 30 minutes. It doesn't have to be time consuming to build strength.

I looked at stumptuous.com. Great site. Thanks for the tip.
  • cln714
    Options
    My routine at the "gym" in reality it's the park/home:happy:

I do my Couch to 5K program at the park, then do Shred at home for 20 mins. I just finished week 7 of the C25K program (25mins) of non-stop running and 10mins for pre/post run walk. Based on the exercise tracker here, I burn about 390-400cals for these workouts. I don't know how accurate that is but at least I'm off the couch, right? :drinker:

Since I only have 2 weeks left in the C25K program, I have rewarded myself with a Polar FT7F HRM. It will arrive in the mail soon. That HRM will allow me to track cals burned. When I do get it, I'll let you know how much closer/farther it is from MFP's counter.

Until then, let's get moving. :wink:

Good luck with the C25k. I got up to week 7 and then I slacked of a couple of weeks. Now I'm back to week 5. :P
    I rewarded myself with the Polar FT7 after week 2. lol You're going to love it!!!!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am with hill242, meaning I mainly do crossfit type workouts. Biggest thing though is find something that challenges you, that is fun for you, or it pushes you to try harder and harder. Everyone reacts differently to weight traiing, cardio training ets, but only you know your body and how it reacts. Do try and shock it from time to time, which is why I like crossfit, my body never knows whats coming until it's too late LOL. If yo uhave a routine that works for you, your still getting results, and you love doing it, then keep it up. Once it goes stale, find something new, but dont ditch the old routine completely, you might go back to it soon after the shock routine.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I split my cardio and strength training into two different times. I workout downstairs and/or at work, so there's no real commute to be had. I don't like to grind out the cardio then grind out the workout in one long go. That usually means I'll be way too long and can often neglect one or the other ... just because of time and energy.

My plan is to do 30-50 minutes of cardio in the morning. Often this is simply a 'different' program on the recumbant bike for a different time. Sometimes I do 10 minutes rower, 10 minutes bike, 5 minutes rower, 5 minutes bike, finished with jump rope and jumping jacks etc. Just to change it up. The staple is that bike though.
    Then I always spend 20 minutes stretching (which is about 20 different stretches from just your basic stretch, to yoga type moves). This gets the day going well. I make sure I do those stretches which is why, my cardio ranges between 30-50 minutes. It's for both variety and to ensure I get those stretches in.
    I also said 'plan'. Some mornings, it just doesn't happen at all. LOL. I don't do this 7 days a week either, I target at least 5. Often, I do cardio on Sunday afternoon to keep me awake past 7pm but skip monday mornings.

Then, 3-4 days a week, I do a strength training workout where the actual workout that lasts about 40-50 minutes. Any more than that can be a waste of time and even harder to fit in .... unless I want to eat dinner at 9:30 or something. The strength training can vary. I have a number of different workouts that I switch out every 2 months. It's like I have 3 sets of workouts or routines, that I switch out to keep things different and interesting.

One set or routines, is just your typical 4 day split of chest/tri; legs/shoulders; back/biceps/calves; core (which is muscles that stabilize spine, not just crunches).

The second set of routines, is a series of different "cross train" type workouts. They are high intesity and have a cardio aspect. These are typically about 6-7 sets long, with a 60 sec rest between sets, but no rest between exercises (a dynamic rest while changing). Each set essentialy goes like this - 50 jumping jacks, 20 squats, 20 push ups, 20 pullup or 20 burpess with jump (coz these are hard), 20 lunges, 20 bicep curls, 20 crunches. Something like that, the combinations are endless and you can either repeat a set, or do different exercises each set. Often, I'll have a trend throughout one complete routine e.g. where it primarily targets chest (where each set has a chest exercise) or maybe upper back or something. The staple in these are multi-joint and compound exercises, typically using bodyweight. Always has that high cardio exercise at beginning and will tyically always have legs for 2nd exercise.

The third set of routines, is just a generic series of fullish body exercises. I'll tend to target upper/lower body with each workout, but each workout covers the full spectrum. i.e. there's always a upper/lower body aspect to it. However, I won't do chest or biceps everytime, I will work in some rest days for body parts.

I have about 8 of each which lasts me about 2-3 weeks to complete. I usually try to cycle through each 8 2-3 times (whatever takes my fancy) then change to a new set of routines. That usually means I cange every ~2 months.

Before and after these workout/routines I do in afternoon, will always be a 5-10 minute warm up, typically on rowing machine, then a number of stretches, then the workout, then a 20 minute stretching regime again. (could be the same as in morning, I have a couple of slightly modified routines).
  • mpos
    Options
    [[/quote]

Good luck with the C25k. I got up to week 7 and then I slacked of a couple of weeks. Now I'm back to week 5. :P
    I rewarded myself with the Polar FT7 after week 2. lol You're going to love it!!!!
    [/quote]]

@cln... - Hopefully, I'll keep going. I'll let you know how my workouts will be this next 2 weeks. As for the FT7, I am looking fwd to it.....
  • cln714
    Options
    @oats4breakfast, Thank you for all of the useful info. It sounds like you really keep things interesting and "keep your body guessing".

@mpos, Yes, please keep me posted on the C25K! Also, let me know how you like your HRM, when you get it. :)
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have only just started at the gym again and at the mo only using the cardio machines there.

Monday: HIIT on the treadmill for about 20 mins, then do about 25 HIIT on the stairmaster.
    Tuesday: Full body free weight routine at home
    Wed: Easy cardio, which involves a mix up with the treadmill (hills) for about 25/30 mins, then 25 mins on the stairmaster
    Thurs: More HIIT
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: TAbata stuff, ie using bodyrock.tv
    Sun: More cardio, but distance this time. ie just stared donig 5 miles to start which took me about 45 mins.
  • mpos
    Options
    @oats4breakfast, Thank you for all of the useful info. It sounds like you really keep things interesting and "keep your body guessing".

@mpos, Yes, please keep me posted on the C25K! Also, let me know how you like your HRM, when you get it. :)

@cln714 - I'm on vacation but still gladly doing C25K even with the challenges of odd schedules. I am now on C25K W8D2 and on Shred L2D2. Just like you said, the FT7 has been wonderful. I like the data part of it. I can't believe that I burned more fat doing Shred than running. However, I still like running since I'm improving my fitness level with it. Setting the FT7 was straightforward. I have yet to figure out how to set my target HR. Also, I need to do some reading i.e. guidelines when you haven't reached the intended HR for particular segments of your run. But for now, I'll just build up my endurance and work on the technicalities of it later.