Isnt it Amazing...?

Options
Isn't it amazing how your 50+ pound or more weight loss can trigger a domino effect causing other people to want to start losing weight because they think you will pass them up real soon? When I first started MFP, no one noticed that I had lost my first 7 pounds except me. Once I dropped nearly 50 pounds, then people started saying they were jealous or saying that they need to do something about their weight loss for fear that I may pass them up. I have to admit, it feels good to now be smaller than my mother, for the first time in my adult life. However, I am eyeing my sister now, who is 145-150 pounds. She has great metabolism because she has had 4 kids and lost the weight like that. I have been pregnant 3 times, and have only one child and gained like crazy. Anyhow, people are still starring at me like crazy, with no comments, like I am some weird Cyclops that just landed in front of them or something. I suppose they are trying to figure out why last winter, I was 238 pounds, then I come out for the summer and I am 193 pounds. Isn't this amazing? Any of your neighbors or associates, look at you like crazy, but make no comments about your weight loss, but you know they are looking at you crazy because of your weight loss?

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wow, you hit some major milestones! It can be off-putting to see someone suddenly so much slimmer. But, still they should be so reluctant to say something to you. I guess they think it goes without saying, lol?
  • ahappydancer
    ahappydancer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great job on all that weight loss! I bet you feel awesome!
    My brother was actually what made me want to lose weight. Not because he lost a lot, but because he was the only one to tell me, "Hey, you've gained that freshman fifteen. You should take better care of yourself."
    Be glad that you're a motivator. Some people need a push to make them realize that they can do it, too.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Even when people don't say anything you know you are In the midst of an amazing transformation. Keep up the good work my friend.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I had a girl I knew but hadn't talked to in a while come up to me before my graduation this past weekend and tell me that I was an inspiration to her. She saw me out for a run at the beginning of last semester, and that inspired her to start running. And I ran into a guy I went to high school with at a party a couple weeks ago, and he complimented my appearance. It's absolutely cool when people notice. :)
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think for some people its hard to give a compliment for whatever reason. It isn't that hard to say "You look good" and its such a boost to the person getting the compliment.

BTW, You look great! :smile:
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. People that I've known my entire life keep telling me that I need to eat and that I am too skinny. Grrr. It's so frustrating. I am healthy and in shape. I do eat and I workout almost everyday.
    Most of these people, in their defense are not used to seeing me this small. I have 5 kids and so for the last 8 1/2 years I have been on the heavier side. But still, shouldn't they be happy for me, not telling me to eat something?
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well done! You've done a fantastic job.

I have people look at me and not comment but that's because they don't think it is me. Just last week one of my friend's neighbours told my friend that she had seen my sister and despite having never met my sister she knew we were related because we looked alike but apparently my sister was much slimmer.

Poor woman would have a shock if she did meet my sister. We are total opposites. I'm dark hair and tanned and my sister is blonde and really fair. We don't even have similar mannerisms. I take after one side of the family and my sister takes after the other.

I was extremely amused when my friend told me what her neighbour had said :)
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I had a girl I knew but hadn't talked to in a while come up to me before my graduation this past weekend and tell me that I was an inspiration to her. She saw me out for a run at the beginning of last semester, and that inspired her to start running. And I ran into a guy I went to high school with at a party a couple weeks ago, and he complimented my appearance. It's absolutely cool when people notice. :)

Yeah, well a few of my neighbors did ask me what I was doing, and they are all familiar with MFP, I guess they just thought that maybe it didn't work or something. My family on my mother's side has not said much about my weight loss, but my grandma told me the other day that I was slim and trim, and she was the same person that use to call me fat all the time!
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    Well done! You've done a fantastic job.

I have people look at me and not comment but that's because they don't think it is me. Just last week one of my friend's neighbours told my friend that she had seen my sister and despite having never met my sister she knew we were related because we looked alike but apparently my sister was much slimmer.

Poor woman would have a shock if she did meet my sister. We are total opposites. I'm dark hair and tanned and my sister is blonde and really fair. We don't even have similar mannerisms. I take after one side of the family and my sister takes after the other.

I was extremely amused when my friend told me what her neighbour had said :)

That is funny and flattering at the same time!
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. People that I've known my entire life keep telling me that I need to eat and that I am too skinny. Grrr. It's so frustrating. I am healthy and in shape. I do eat and I workout almost everyday.
    Most of these people, in their defense are not used to seeing me this small. I have 5 kids and so for the last 8 1/2 years I have been on the heavier side. But still, shouldn't they be happy for me, not telling me to eat something?

Yeah, they should be happy for you. They will probably be telling me the same thing hopefully next year. My goal weight is 150, but once I get there, I am shooting for 105 pounds.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    I think for some people its hard to give a compliment for whatever reason. It isn't that hard to say "You look good" and its such a boost to the person getting the compliment.

BTW, You look great! :smile:

Thanks! I feel great too.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    Great job on all that weight loss! I bet you feel awesome!
    My brother was actually what made me want to lose weight. Not because he lost a lot, but because he was the only one to tell me, "Hey, you've gained that freshman fifteen. You should take better care of yourself."
    Be glad that you're a motivator. Some people need a push to make them realize that they can do it, too.

Thanks!
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    That's awesome! Even when people don't say anything you know you are In the midst of an amazing transformation. Keep up the good work my friend.

Thank you!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wow, you hit some major milestones! It can be off-putting to see someone suddenly so much slimmer. But, still they should be so reluctant to say something to you. I guess they think it goes without saying, lol?

Shouldn't** be, lol.