People who are crazy hungry

Options
So let's just say for the sake of argument that I'm eating everything I should be - tons of fruits and veggies, equal amounts of protein, "good" complex carbs, healthy fats, and protein, lots of water, etc.

I'm STARVING. It's been two weeks and it's gotten a little better. I just try really hard to power through it. My question is - if you had similar hunger challenges, how long did it take to subside? Did it eventually go away?

Replies

• FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many calories are you eating??
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    how much are you eating cal wise? open your diary!
  • tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1500-1700. I'll try to figure out how to open it!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I would eat more. Same good foods, larger quantities. And slowly work down to smaller portions. I'm a huge believer in Baby Steps. I like to adjust to things slowly. Little by little, big things happen.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between eating 1500 and netting 1500. Subtract out your exercise calories from your intake, and you're netting under 1200 most of the time--sometimes under 1000. No wonder you're hungry! Fuel your workouts properly, and you'll be a lot more satisfied.
  • idontknowkinda
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Your diary seems pretty healthy, a lot of people confuse hunger with thirst and or boredom. Try drinking some more, your body may get used to the lowered caloric intake. If it doesn't, your body might just require more calories. That's nothing to be ashamed of, everyone is different.
  • tryskinni
    Options
    Thanks peeps. I rarely look at my net so I guess I'll have to start paying attention. I am not against eating the calories I burn but I'm trying to avoid the mentality of working out more to eat more. As a former endurance athlete it's an easy trap to fall into. "I'll just run 10 miles tomorrow morning..."
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between eating 1500 and netting 1500. Subtract out your exercise calories from your intake, and you're netting under 1200 most of the time--sometimes under 1000. No wonder you're hungry! Fuel your workouts properly, and you'll be a lot more satisfied.

hmmm.... I've had a look at the diary, and unless theres a bunch of unlogged exercise, it seems that the intake is ok.

OP your eating habits are really really good, I suppose the question is are you logging all your exercise?

if you are hungry between meals, I eat a large carrot or two. they have a lot of fibre and involve a lot of chewing so by the time you are done you are not hungry.

we have a similar diet and I found that I had periods of feeling very hungry in the beginning - carrots helped.

now tho, I've been intermittent fasting ( eating all your calories in an "eating window" mine being 8 hours - known as 16/8) and its really changed how I think about food and hunger. from 8pm till 1pm the next day I don't eat. its not that hard, and sometimes I will feel a bit hungry, but ill have a drink of water or a black coffee or tea and I'm fine.

maybe you could do a few days of intermittent fasting, it could help you get your hunger into perspective.

gosh, i try to keep it to the point, to not dilute the message. i have failed.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi, How much do you currently weigh?
    I saw a documentary on TV last night that discussed how the hormone levels of obese people differ from those of normal weight people - and the ultimate effect was that obese people always have some level of hunger and don't feel completely full after eating.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    lower your carbs, eat more protein (try to get closer to 100 g).

watch your sugars.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as working out more to eat more, but eating more to fuel your workouts and a better body composition.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is to make sure you're getting enough sleep! I'm never satisfied food-wise if I'm sleep deprived, it's torture. Some research has even suggested that adequate sleep is much more important than exercise for weight loss :)
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I dont care what anyone says... when you first start restricting your intake, you are always starving. It took me ages before I stopped feeling like my throat had been cut, then your tummy shrinks and it does get better.
    I also find the more protein you eat, that help cut down the hunger a bit.
    I promise it does get better. I find salad disappears out of your stomach very quickly so I wouldnt recommend that when you are still trying to get used to eating less.
    Eat meat and cooked veggies, it'll help
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I dont care what anyone says... when you first start restricting your intake, you are always starving. It took me ages before I stopped feeling like my throat had been cut, then your tummy shrinks and it does get better.
    I also find the more protein you eat, that help cut down the hunger a bit.
    I promise it does get better. I find salad disappears out of your stomach very quickly so I wouldnt recommend that when you are still trying to get used to eating less.
    Eat meat and cooked veggies, it'll help

This too. For me it took about a month before I really even began to get used to eating less.
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I could never get this under control until I went on a protein shake diet and ketosis kicked in....after that I hardly ever felt hungry
  • tryskinni
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone - I really appreciate all the great suggestions! I log everything with the exception of my green leafy vegetables - usually kale, spinach, collard greens, etc. Can't be more than 50 cals/day.

The comments about "getting through it" are so important to me - I think I need to hear that once in a while.

I only recently started hearing about Intermittent Fasting and now I feel like I read it EVERYWHERE!! It makes total sense to me and I used to do it inadvertently on weekends. I'm working on not eating more than 500 calories in a sitting and I think that's currently adding to my hunger but also making my losses better?

I'll check back in! I'm about 182, on my way to 169. Someone asked? I'm 5'10. Start weight was like 194 or something. I've restarted so many times I arbitrarily pick it :-). This last go around I was 190 when I started.