Android apps

Options
hi all,

so am planning on starting to run...but would be doing walking inbetween. Lets say run for 5mins and walk for 10mins and then again run for 10mins and so on.... I am a beginner for "running" so trying to find out any apps which could help by tracking both with the speed,pace etc.... which i can rely on to track my calories burned too..

TIA :)

Replies

• reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The Nike running app can do that for you.
  • minihaak
    minihaak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper. It's great as you can decide how frequently you get updates (both distance and time). Tracks a map for you. Only down point is that it overestimates calorie burn. I use my HRM and manually enter this at the end of each run.

Hope this helps :)
  • SKAVY7178
    SKAVY7178 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The Nike running app can do that for you.

Thank you so much .... You meant Nike+ ?? btw, Congrats on your loss 111 ...wohoo !!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    There are a bajillion. To name a few: Garmin Fit, Nike+, Endomondo, Runkeeper, MapMyrun, Google Tracks, etc...
  • SKAVY7178
    Options
    I use runkeeper. It's great as you can decide how frequently you get updates (both distance and time). Tracks a map for you. Only down point is that it overestimates calorie burn. I use my HRM and manually enter this at the end of each run.

Hope this helps :)

will give it a go too....dont hv a hrm...
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    There are a bajillion. To name a few: Garmin Fit, Nike+, Endomondo, Runkeeper, MapMyrun, Google Tracks, etc...

I know Nike+, Endomondo, and Runkeeper Sync to MFP to make entering your exercise easier. Endomondo will only do an average of your total speed if you rotate between walking and running though. I think most of them are free Apps so you can try them and see which one you like best.
  • SKAVY7178
    Options
    Thank you all so much....really appreciate it... Will try them all and see which works well with me....

Hv a nice day :)
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just throwing another one out there - Runtastic - I really like the format although it does usually overestimate my calorie burn (not by much). Gives altitude, mapping, speed, pace and calorie burn. If you have a HRM you can input those details too.

I paid a little for the Pro App, but I don't think it differs that much. The only thing I'd say is it works better for either walking OR running, not both. If you're thinking of that, maybe the others would be a good idea!

EDIT: It also tracks other sports such as cycling and gym equipment.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+, much better then Endmondo.

Also look up C25K free... that's how I learned to run last summer.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i like endomondo because it syncs to a website that gives you coupons and free stuff based on your points accumulation which is based on how active you are. that website (earndit.com) also syncs with my fitbit, but they (endomond & fitbit) sync with mfp so i don't have to re-enter anything, it's all automatic. endomondo syncs with mfp almost instantly--if i walk for 30 min on the treadmill at work, it's usually synced by the time i get upstairs to my desk. and as long as i'm using mfp to log my 'diet habits' i don't worry about double-logging. mfp gets the time endomondo records the activity at & my fitbit records the time of the activity, so they cancel each other out & it only keeps one.

if you don't like endomondo & you don't care about entering your own info, on the android market there's also "my tracks" which maps, does speed (average & peak), distance, elevation, and you can label your walk/run whatever you want. it also keeps track of the date & time. both of these apps are free. i don't pay for something unless i've used it and love it, and can't live without the 'advantages' of the pay version.

forgot to mention: a gal i work with uses "c25k free" on the android market. she really likes it. i hate running, so i haven't used it yet myself, but it seems good. also, the fitness lady at work suggested a gymboss ($20) and there's the gymboss app. it seems pretty nifty. you can make your own intervals and use them for weight lifting, running, pretty much anything, but i haven't used that one yet, either, so i'm not sure what all it records.