6 Mini Meals - Anyone doing this?

Options
I was told by my trainer that it would be a good idea to try out the 6mini meals at about 300 cal per meal in order to keep from over stacking and going over my calories for the day. So far, I am struggling to EAT enough! For example:
Breakfast: Half a banana and a Jimmy dean light breakfast sandwich - 290 cal.
10am: apple slices grapes and string cheese - 100 cal
12pm - lunch - had shepards pie (small strips of chuck roast, corn and mashed potatoes) about 1 1/2 cups - 400 cal
3pm : Greek yogurt - and some almonds 150 cal
5pm or 6pm dinner - veggie, chicken 4oz and rice -450-500cal

as an example
I've seen a few different kinds, but all have you eat veggies and fruit daily along with protein and even some fats. Any ideas on this? I am supposed to eat minimum of 1550 cal AND work out..and I usually burn 150-250 each time, so I find myself forcing myself to eat more calories. <
THAT is something I have never had to say before. LOL

Any advise would be great!
and as always, if you are looking for a new friend, ADD ME :)

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Lol no. Why would someone want to do that? I eat dinner right after I workout and that's my only meal for the day. Short term fasting (12-72 hours) increases metabolic rate and if you keep your diet in check, you can gain muscle while losing fat. Not eating during the day keeps IGF higher which is anabolic.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    meal frequency is personal preference but if you are having troubles getting your calories in 6 mini meals then I would change that plan to 6 normal meals :tongue:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    6 normal meals sounds about right. I don't want to eat anything mini.
  • efg311
    efg311 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I kinda do this and lost 32 pounds
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference and 6 meals isn't going to make any more difference than 3 meals as long as the deficit is still there.

If you are having trouble getting the required calories, then try to switch from low cal, low fat type foods. I can't see your diary, but I'm guessing you have these types of items in there.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Lol no. Why would someone want to do that? I eat dinner right after I workout and that's my only meal for the day. Short term fasting (12-72 hours) increases metabolic rate and if you keep your diet in check, you can gain muscle while losing fat. Not eating during the day keeps IGF higher which is anabolic.

You eat your entire days worth of calories in one meal! That's amazing.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that humans are designed to "graze". I have one main meal a day -- a huge salad with very little meat -- and a bunch of tiny meals all day. This is working for me.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If you are normally a snacker, then 6 mini meals a day would be a good idea for you, but if you didn't normally snack, then stick with 3 meals a day As long as you get the proper amount of calories, the weight will come off either way. Just keep your macros in line so you get the proper nutritional values and all should be good.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat "mini" meals throughout the day, if you want to call them that. But like others have said, it is a personal preference. I prefer to eat smaller meals through the day to keep my body from being hungry all the time. Plus, it keeps me from over eating. I eat to the point of satisfaction (not fullness) every 2-4 hours, with a period of intermittent fasting. I usually don't eat anything from 6:00pm to 9:00am the following morning.

Basically, no matter what time it is, if my body is telling me it's hungry, I will eat. Just listen to what your body tells you. If you do better eating bigger meals throughout the day, then do that. If you do better eating smaller meals, then do that.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I've done it. It wasn't bad. It made me consistently eat certain amounts of cals which helped me stay within my calories goal. It doesn't have any scientific benefits of increasing your metabolism or anything though its a personal preference and for many starters who're having trouble staying under their calories, its not a bad thing to try (but still be open to other methods if this doesn't work for you!)

I now just eat like 1-2 meals a day. My meals are fairly huge with maybe snacking here and there. Usually an icecream almost daily when I go for a walk with my nephew.
  • vaangoin1
    vaangoin1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't think like that. I think complete diet is very important for health.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Irrelevant. Sometimes I eat 3-5.

Sometimes I eat 1
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, it's a personal preference. I do this, but it's because I've never been a "big meal" eater. I have always had a little bit for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then some snacks in between. When I eat three big meals (or two, or one) I am always uncomfortably full for a while but then get hungry before my next meal. I would suggest adopting something close to what your normal eating used to be. If, before you started your new lifestyle, you were more of a grazer, I would go with a bunch of mini meals. If you normally ate big meals which kept you satisfied, I would stick with the fewer, larger main meals.
  • kathendo1984
    kathendo1984 Posts: 111
    Options
    i tend to have maybe 100-200 cals at breakfast

100 cal snack

300-400 for lunch

100 cal snack

400-700 cal tea

I like it better this way as i like to have a large evening meal with my other half. It is definetly personal preference and what works for you. i also sometimes save some calories if i no im going out for a meal or a night out the weekend so i dont go over my weekly calorie net to much.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I know it works for some people. My mother-in-law is a compulsive snacker, so having 6 mini-meals helps her keep that right in check.

Personally I can't imagine anything worse.I hate the idea of spending a day eating, but as everyone else has said, that's just my preference.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Try it for a couple of weeks and see if it works for you and if it doesn't try something else. Everyone has their own preference as far as what helps them stay on track with healthier eating and prevents binge eating or other excessive calorie consumption.

I personally switch it up on the day depending on what I am doing. I tend to graze more when I am spending more time at home. If I am out I have one or two big meals for the day.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    A variation of a meal plan from my trainer may help. This is for a woman, mine has 2 more meals with protein shakes. This is more restrictive (high protein/fat - low carb), but it may give you ideas.

Meal 1

6 Egg Whites
    1 Whole Egg
    2 oz. Grilled Chicken
    1 cup Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Broccoli, Asparagus, or Green Beans
    6 Almonds
    1 - 8 oz. PEELED Ruby Red Grapefruit – can add splenda to sweeten / if you hate grapefruit you can eat an orange

Meal 2

6 oz. Chicken, Halibut, Sirloin, Tuna, Turkey
    2 Tbsp. Peanut Butter or 18 Almonds

Meal 3

12 Almonds or 1.5 Tbsp PB
    1 - 8 oz. PEELED Ruby Red Grapefruit – can add splenda to sweeten / if you hate grapefruit you can eat an orange

Meal 4

1/2 cup Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Broccoli, Asparagus, or Green Beans
    1oz avocado
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    i tend to have maybe 100-200 cals at breakfast

100 cal snack

300-400 for lunch

100 cal snack

400-700 cal tea

I like it better this way as i like to have a large evening meal with my other half. It is definetly personal preference and what works for you. i also sometimes save some calories if i no im going out for a meal or a night out the weekend so i dont go over my weekly calorie net to much.

400-700 cal tea??
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I'm starting to wonder if this would be a better route to take. Today I got through breakfast and lunch without eating anything and did just fine. It would sound pretty nice to blow all my calories at dinner time xD I think I'll try it out.