That horrible sloshy feeling...

Options
Does anyone else get this when they really focus on drinking a lot of water? Almost like you feel sick to your stomach from the amount of water you're taking in?

I've never been one to really drink much of anything. Even in my prior unhealthy lifestyle, I would get a soda in the morning and half of it would still be there in the afternoon. Now that I force myself to, I drink between 2 1/2 liters and a gallon of water a day, but it's generally closer to the 3 liter mark. And it literally makes me feel ill and (the only way I can describe it is) sloshy! Not to mention the fact that I haven't slept a full night in 5 months because I can't stop freaking peeing! lol

The nutritionist at my gym wants me to drink a gallon of water a day. I tried explaining to him that if HE drinks a gallon of water a day at 6'1" and over 250 pounds than it doesn't make sense that little 5'2"/139 pound me has the room for the same...he disagrees...lol

Any feedback is welcome!!

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    so long as your pee is clear or pale yellow, you don't need to drink more water. Once you are adequately hydrated, drinking more water is only going to make you pee more (and feel "sloshy")

How much water you need to drink varies according to how much you sweat, I live in Bahrain and this time of year it's hot and humid and I need to drink loads of water, but in the winter and in colder countries I don't need to drink anything like as much.

I don't know why so many people have these blanket recommendations for how much water you need, the standard recommendation of 8 cups a day would be asking for dehydration in a tropical climate or if you are very active (you sweat more during exercise). but if it's cold and you're not running marathons you don't need to drink all that much water.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    10 glasses of water is 2 liter.
    Spead them during the day.
    Count al liquid.

And if its white, then don't drink more
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I drink tea and diet coke mostly. Plain water on occasion when I feel like it. It's not doing me any harm not drinking litres and litres of plain water. I just make sure to get the minimum 8 glasses of fluid and I'm done. I live in Scotland, so it's not exactly hot & steamy here and I don't sweat a lot.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Count al liquid.

If What's white? lol
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Count al liquid.

If What's white? lol

If your urine is clear, you are hydrated. :-) I'm pretty sure that is what he meant!

I personally drink a pint every hour-hour and half whilst at work, and maybe a 12oz glass every so often at home. I drink more in the week than I do the weekend due to being out and about. As long as your urine is pale yellow, there isn't a problem. And like what other people said, unless you're exercising or in a hot climate - you probably don't need to worry about getting all of your 2L in - if you're not thirsty!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Count al liquid.

If What's white? lol

If your urine is clear, you are hydrated. :-) I'm pretty sure that is what he meant!

I think so too. If you can see the white clearly at the bottom of the toilet, you are well hydrated!
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Count al liquid.

If What's white? lol

I think so too. If you can see the white clearly at the bottom of the toilet, you are well hydrated!

LMFAO! This cracked me up!