Need Guidance on my workout

Options
Hey All,
This is my first post. I need some thought clarity on a specific issue. So, here it goes:

I am not fat but not fit either. My fat percentage is 22%. I am trying to loose fat and tone up(with some muscles). I have been very on and off with my gym routine till now. But, whenever i do, my main concentration is on cardio.

I workout six times a week, with alternating days of weights and cardio. But due to my obsession with cardio, I do card even on weights day in the end for ten minutes. But i am not able to loose fat or tone up.

My trainer at the gym has been observing me for quite some time. According to him I need to cut down on card and do it only on card days, as my body has gone used to the treadmill and hence i have hit a plateau.

My question is: Should i skip card on weights day? and do card 3 days only and other 3 days weights? Or what i am doing is correct.

P.S: On weights day i run on the treadmill in the end for 10 minutes at the speed of 10.5 and have been doing this for ages.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'd cut out most of the cardio.
    Also I'd switch up what type of cardio you're doing. Maybe try some hiit
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I'd cut out most of the cardio.
    Also I'd switch up what type of cardio you're doing. Maybe try some hiit

I agree with trying hiit. Also skip cardio on weight days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

My question is: Should i skip card on weights day? and do card 3 days only and other 3 days weights? Or what i am doing is correct.

yes, do 3 days cardio and 3 weights. (or less cardio)

mix up the cardio as well, HIIT is much more effective for fat loss than steady state.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yup. Lift heavier weights. Walk after for 10 or 15 minutes if you want.

When you lift weights your body uses the sugars (glycogen) stored in your muscles for fuel. At the end of an hour of lifting you are low, if not out of glycogen.

When you do cardio your body uses a mix of fat and glycogen for fuel. Your HR elevates to push more oxygen into your system, but the fat process is a slow one, so it needs to pull glycogen for fuel. But you don't have any glycogen, so what does it do?

It breaks down muscle and catabolizes it to supplement your energy needs. A pound of muscle releases about 800 calories, as opposed to fat which releases 3500. So it's pretty efficient, but your body only does it a last resort. Which you do 3 times a week. By now your body is really used to this process and it happens fast. So almost all the gains from lifting is taken away by your cardio.
  • karemt62
    karemt62 Posts: 4
    Options
    New here......what is HIIT??
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    New here......what is HIIT??

High Intensity Interval Training...

bascially it is that you do something at high intensity, say run on treadmill for a set period of time, 1 min, take a short break, 30 seconds and do it again for a set amount of sets (say 4x), then quickly move onto another exercise, repeate, than another exercise, repeate.

You can mix and choose what exercises you want and for how long/how many. The goal is to spike your heart rate, with a little amount of time for recovery in between.
  • Jenbeanz
    Jenbeanz Posts: 12
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training . . . getting your HR up and down as fast as possible
  • karemt62
    karemt62 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you!