Help Finding More Protein

Options

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you are probably fine:) u are doing great and do not need more protein!
  • hagofnaedre
    hagofnaedre Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't have much of a problem meeting my protein either, about 120-170g a day. My diary is open if you need ideas.

I like to cook up lots of chicken breast and snack on it throughout the day. Pure Protein bars are really good! And they're about 20g each. You should be able to find them at most stores. I know the Wal-Mart next to my gym has them. ON Gold Standard whey protein powders are great too. I add them to oatmeal for sweetness and protein boost. Yummy.
  • daizmaiz
    daizmaiz Posts: 4
    Options
    Does anyone know where to get Chia seeds in London?

Also, this might sound dumb but just wondering why you need more protein? Are you only eating protein or trying to balance everything you eat?
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    bump
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    This might sound odd, but I started eating it lately and it's actually good...tuna with cottage cheese, red pepper flakes, and a bit of frank's red hot.

How many grams of protein are you averaging a day?
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Im just trying to balance everything out. And Im trying to build lean muscle and I have heard that more protein will help with that. Plus, its suppose to make you feel fuller and more satisfied for a longer time so Im not always craving something bad for me! :smile:
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I found Chia seeds at Whole Foods Market. Quinoa has good protein and is a complex carbohydrate.

If you like yogurt, greek yogurt has good protein... but if you want something cheaper I'm sure you could find cheaper yogurts with good protein. For me, I shop at Kroger and they have a Carb Smart yogurt (kroger brand) that has i think 8 grams of protein, is 60 calories, and only costs 40 cents per cup.

I like string cheese too. I get the low-fat string cheese and it's like 12 grams of protein per stick and 60 calories.

I believe beans are a good source as well. I sometimes mix some beans into my salads, and most of the time when I make soups at home I add cannellini beans or lentils to boost the nutrition.

Best of luck!!
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry, Just saw your reply about disliking yogurt!

If you like chicken here's something I tried last night and it tastes awesome (in my opinion).... I heard about an injectable cajun creole butter marinade and found a jar at the grocery store. It says it's the "original injectable marinade" and the flavor is Creole Butter. It's not too spicy, don't worry! Anyway since I had tenderloins I didn't do the injecting but I poured a little over the raw chicken in the dish, marinated it for about half an hour, then baked it right in the marinade. We thought it tasted great! And it doesn't add any calories. Here is a link I found so you can see what I am talking about:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/10295371?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227009474801&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=18127734310&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started. I was diagnosed with a metabolic disorder that means I need 40g protein every three hours and have to avoid carbs as much as possible. So I drink a lot of protein shakes (my favorite is Syntrax Nectar, it comes in lots of different flavors). My snacks are things like beef jerky, handfuls of nuts, chunks of cheese, and hard-boiled eggs. If you want nutrition and protein for very little money, hard-boiled eggs are the best. You can chop them up and mix them with tuna for a bit more protein. For variety, you can even mix flavored protein powder with your cottage cheese. And tuna can be mixed with different types of cheese for different flavors, too. (Can you tell I have problems with getting bored with my food?)
  • roaringsea
    roaringsea Posts: 7
    Options
    If you're on the go, I recommend Luna Protein bars (I like the peanut butter chocolate one) or Myoplex shakes. Both are good and have a decent amount of protein in them. :)
  • roaringsea
    roaringsea Posts: 7
    Options
    Im just trying to balance everything out. And Im trying to build lean muscle and I have heard that more protein will help with that. Plus, its suppose to make you feel fuller and more satisfied for a longer time so Im not always craving something bad for me! :smile:

If you find that you are craving things that are bad for you more often than not, it could mean that you may be "punishing" yourself a bit too much. When you start to crave specific foods, it means that there's a chance you're craving something that the food has in it and your body is telling you to eat it to satisfy that need. If you are someone that craves cheese a lot (I know I do), indulge and have a cheese stick or if you constantly crave sugary things, get some chocolates to have around that aren't really bad caloriewise (the protein bars I eat for breakfast have chocolate and I find it kills my sugar cravings ALL DAY!) and have one every now and then.

It's good to want to lose weight and eat healthy, but if you don't have any "bad" foods once in a while, it will end up building up, putting you at the potential to go on a binge that you'll end up regretting. It's all about having things in moderation. ✿
  • jdatillo
    jdatillo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Hard Boiled Eggs
    Tuna
    Protein Shake- (1) scoop EAS vanilla, 1/2 c plain greek yogurt, 1/2 c unsweet almond milk and a bananna= 305 calories/16 g protein
    Protein Bar- love Luna White Chocolate Macadamia is my fav
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Also, this might sound dumb but just wondering why you need more protein? Are you only eating protein or trying to balance everything you eat?

Protein helps with satiety (feeling of being full) and it helps retain lean body mass which can otherwise easily be lost when you're eating at a caloric deficit. 1g protein/lb lean body mass is a good daily goal.
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump, I have this same problem and love all the suggestions!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast, chicken breast, tuna, salmon, halibut, cottage cheese, low-fat mozzarella, pork, veal, tofu, beans, eggs, yogurt, soy milk, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and peanuts.

All of that and lean grass fed beef, ostrich & buffalo.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I also have issues with trying to get enough protein in my days. It's sure not easy for me, either.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Lentils pack 8 g. of protein to 1/2 c. prepared serving (1/4 c. b4 adding water). You can season them in many ways to go with a meal.

**Quinoa also has 6 g. in 1/2 c. serving (1/4 c. dry b4 water). The quinoa ,also can go in so many things ... soup, on the salad, with roasted veggies, as a replacement to pasta, it goes on and on. MY fave way to eat quinoa: cooked with fresh cilantro, lime juice, & kosher salt - like Chipotle's rice!!! YUM.

This. I'll have chicken or fish for dinner with Lentils and/or Quinoa as a side! Might as well have protein in everything on my plate, right? #worksforme

ETA: I take hard-boiled eggs to work for a snack.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mmmm protein. I needed to get more in for lunch too. About one week a month I make my special chicken salad. I know you said you don't like yogurt, but replacing mayo with greek yogurt and making chicken salad doesn't make it feel like yogurt. Here's what I do:

Chicken Yogurt w/ Cucumber
    2 chicken breasts
    1 cucumber
    1 container of greek yogurt
    spices, chili and what not
    ** I add 2-3 strips of bacon sometimes for a smoky treat.

Cut everything up bite size (cook the meats, obviously), mix in yogurt and eat as is or put on bread.

Portions: how ever many you want. I usually get 4-5 portions out of it. Depends how many calories you have to work with.

This week I only divided it into three portions:
    Calories: 287
    Protein: 55

*numbers will vary depending on the portions you make and the specific amount of ingredients you use.
  • sanibelshell
    sanibelshell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fresh mozzarella (sticks at Trader Joe's or the little balls), sardines or kipper snacks or smoked oysters (my favorite) or smoked trout- all in cans that are easy to put in my lunch. I always thought these were disgusting but love them now- pork rinds! It's a crunchy protein and has no carbs. Almond butter- make a "sandwich" by slicing an apple across in nice big rounds then put almond butter between 2 slices. I also always have the 100 calorie packs of cocoa roast and cinnamon roast almonds. I know you don't like yogurt but maybe try greek yogurt with 1-2 T chia seeds and some fruit- the chia seeds expand and it's like tapioca. You can also put chia seeds in chocolate silk almond milk- and would probably work in choc milk too for chocolate pudding. The new coffee almonds are amazing- coffee, mocha and carmel macchiotto flavors. Good luck!
  • jessicapetert23
    jessicapetert23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Make an omelette with veggies and some kind of meat, like chicken or turkey. Or even a frittata. You can make it ahead and bring it in for lunch, and it has double the protein with both eggs and meat, and only carbs from the veggies.