Long Weekend Trip..What am going to do about food?!

Options
We are heading to the mountains to go hiking and to explore the area this weekend. It is super hard to control food because there isn't a whole lot of healthy options in the town we will be staying in. I'll be bringing some pre-cut veggies, fruit, sandwiches etc, but do any of you have any good ideas for easy to pack, low cal food that will give me lots of energy for all the hiking ill be doing?

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Trail mix (unsalted peanut / almonds / and / or cashews, raisins or dried fruit, pretzels, granola, etc.)
    GOOD protein bars or ready to drink shakes. (Luna Bars are alright, and EAS makes decent shakes.)
    Plenty of water
    Jerky
    Popcorn

I don't think you want super low cal food if you're going hiking through the mountains - but these would be good choices in my opinion.

ETA: if you have the ability to keep food cold, I think pasta salad with chicken and some olives / veggies would be great for your trip, too. Carbs, protein, fat, vitamins / minerals. :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You're going hiking??? And on vacation?? Eat maintenance calories and enjoy yourself. and don't stress if you go over.. hiking through the mountains burns a TON of calories. you'll need the food to keep your energy up. If you're going up in the altitude and you're not used to it you'll probably feel less hungry anyway.

Yea. we wanna be healthy and lose weight.. but we have to live and enjoy life too..
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Calories ARE energy - you don't want low-cal here. Peanut butter, protein bars, nuts and dried fruits, jerky - all highly portable.
  • Quix82
    Quix82 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest not worrying too much about the calories, especially if its strenuous hikes.
    We do "extreme" hiking every summer for 7 days in the mountains.

I always eat a lot of black beans (not everyone's favorite), dried fruits, chicken, almonds on these trips.
  • Kassandra772
    Kassandra772 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I was mainly worried about the food I would be eating at night in comparison to all the hiking we would be doing. I'll be packing lots of high energy food during the day so that I don't get obscenely hungry in the evening.