i cant believe how many calories we actually consume

Options
:smile: before my fitness pal, i really really really thought I ate kind of healthy and couldn't understand why i wasn't losing weight i never tracked anything, just was concious of what i ate. well now that I log every little thing that goes into my mouth, its amazing how fast those calories add up and now I find myself looking at food and thinking, do I really really really need that or just want that. sometimes I give in to the want - i think you have to but i can usually turn it down and say no, my calories are almost up for the day and I need to save what i have left for something later.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    It really opens up your eyes, doesn't it?
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think that's why MFP is so effective - it really makes me want to eat healthier foods because I can eat more of them!
  • Amellej
    Amellej Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yep, it sure showed me how much i was eating
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I definitely hear ya!! I was blown away at how many calories were in things that I didn't even realize- especially things like lattes and smoothies!!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I was amazed. No wonder I was getting bigger & bigger! !!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Logging food was a huge factor in changing my eating habits and helping with my weight loss goals.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It was a bit of a shock when i realised i really was indulging far too much on almost a daily basis
  • natebarth0000
    natebarth0000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A few months back I had already lost 30lbs. and was curious just what, exactly, I was doing to myself before logging my food. I spent one day eating like I used to, and I was amazed. Amazed at how crappy I felt, and how many calories I used to take in.....over twice my allotted amount that I now consume. UNBELIEVABLE!
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is astounding on how fast they add up. I just posted on newsfeed about having to change my intake due to an error I had made so now I have even less to work with LOL. But its ok I can adjust just need to find healthier choices and perhaps add the item to see what it is first then decide do I really need this? regardless of what we want. You shouldn't deny yourself completely but there are still boundaries to consider so we don't reward ourselves too much
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's pretty amazing. You realize you're burning 2000 at the *most*, but regularly eating 3000-4000... frankly I'm shocked I only needed to lose 50 pounds. Should have been much more.
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I found your post as link as I was logging my morning.......I just experienced exactly what your referring to as I had to log a tablespoon of peanut butter simply because I mindlessly licked the spoon......that's 90 unplanned calories out of my day that I really did not plan on! Makes you really think about how it all adds up!
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    No kidding! Since starting MFP, I can't count the number of times I've found myself thinking, "That has _____ calories? I'm not wasting my calorie allotment on THAT!"
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I think of calories like a family budget. Both are limited, so you need to make choices and spend wisely. Do I 'spend' my calories on this, or save it for later on that?

It is an eye-opener when you start to track your daily calories!
  • katie_2514
    katie_2514 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!! It is scary to see how many calories we are truly eating before using myfitnesspal. I am doing much better! But I am kind of at a plateau and it sucks lol
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I wish I never looked at the peanut butter label! :grumble: I mean it is healthy but soooo cal dense. I used to go through 1 jar every 2-3 days. :embarassed:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'd lost weight before coming here, and a bit more since ...... am shocked on a daily basis by the calories in foods ....... often I'll log them in before eating, just to see ...... and then make a different choice !

Am still a work in progress :drinker:
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It is amazing, when I think back to how I use to eat, there is not question why I started packing on the pounds. The amount of calories i took in coupled with a sedentary lifestyle I should be pushing 300 lbs easy!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    For sure!

I have helped 6 other people I know get started with MFP and I started them all the same after finding a good number for them with TDEE. I told them not to change a thing for one week. Just log what you are eating normally. Not one of them made it 3 full days without changing things up after seeing how much they were eating!
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The number of calories in certain foods has add a new definition to the term "expensive" for me; meaning. No way am I going to eat that ______ (fill in the blank). Its too expensive! For that number of calories I could have chocolate or half a cup of ice cream or any other number of wonderful foods. I am much more careful in how I spend my calorie budget now.
  • tilesteven
    tilesteven Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is amazing. I think that if I did not have a check register, I would spend a lot more money, and think I wasn't. The same goes for my daily calorie intake. I am surprised how many calories I can save / spend in just one meal if I log or don't log.