rice replacement

Options
I used to eat rice with my vegetables and beans, but an unfortunate occurence has made me unable to eat rice anymore. I am looking for a substitute that I can eat similar to rice.I know of a couple, like couscous, but the texture of that makes me gag. Any other ideas?

Replies

• Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    Orzo, quinoa, barley. Also, have you tried pearl couscous - the grains are bigger and might be easier for you to handle the texture.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I used to eat rice with my vegetables and beans, but an unfortunate occurence has made me unable to eat rice anymore. I am looking for a substitute that I can eat similar to rice.I know of a couple, like couscous, but the texture of that makes me gag. Any other ideas?
    Couscous is just pasta, so try a different one that doesn't make you gag.....btw what is the unfortunate occurrence you speak of, curious.
  • Peazwithin
    Peazwithin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use califlower as substitute for rice in any dish that calls for rice. Just better for me. The califlower forks up or breaks up to act like rice.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Do a web search on "cauliflower rice". MUCH better for you than rice anyway.
  • cscheiern
    cscheiern Posts: 45
    Options
    Couscous is just pasta, so try a different one that doesn't make you gag.....btw what is the unfortunate occurrence you speak of, curious.

The unfortunate event was cooking a pot of rice and seeing it move. There were worms in it and I cant get that image out of my head so I cant eat rice anymore.
  • cscheiern
    Options
    cauliflower sounds good to try, and Ill look into other couscous. Thanks for the replies so far:smile:
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lentils.

Esp puy (they are small greeny-black colour) you cook them with water, but the best way is to cook them with a little carrot, onion, celery, chopped bacon, mixed herbs in stock and wine. You can mix and match any of those extras. Dead good with roast veggies. Or some pan-fried tofu if you're veggie.

Red lentils also make a nice side dish for veg and beans, but they tend to break down to a more mash potato like texture.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh, why didn't you ignore neanderthin's request for more info re your unfortunate experience? :sad:
    It's called TMI.
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options

The unfortunate event was cooking a pot of rice and seeing it move. There were worms in it and I cant get that image out of my head so I cant eat rice anymore.

That is very unfortunate, now i cant seem to get that image out of my mind LOL I also believe I'm done eating rice, so potatoes will be my new bff
  • cscheiern
    Options
    Oh, why didn't you ignore neanderthin's request for more info re your unfortunate experience? :sad:
    It's called TMI.
    Thats why I didnt put it in the original post:indifferent:
  • cscheiern
    Options
    Lentils.

Esp puy (they are small greeny-black colour) you cook them with water, but the best way is to cook them with a little carrot, onion, celery, chopped bacon, mixed herbs in stock and wine. You can mix and match any of those extras. Dead good with roast veggies. Or some pan-fried tofu if you're veggie.

Red lentils also make a nice side dish for veg and beans, but they tend to break down to a more mash potato like texture.
    I havent tried this, sounds promising!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    brown rice???
  • cscheiern
    Options
    brown rice???

still rice-same shape, cant do it
  • cscheiern
    Options
    Orzo, quinoa, barley. Also, have you tried pearl couscous - the grains are bigger and might be easier for you to handle the texture.
    I will look into these, thanks!
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's called TMI.

lol.... you are SO right...