Just bought a juicer, now what?

Options

Replies

• agathadolphy
    Options
    I'm concerned about the high caloric intake .????
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Anything tastes good with an apple! I was very shocked at the calorie content of fresh juice, so I put my juicer on the shelf until I lose a bit more weight. Nutrient rich for sure, but won't keep me full!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Now you wait for the buyer's remorse to kick in.
    And try to bring it back
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Juice recipes galore:

http://icmuse.tumblr.com/search/juice recipe

:drinker:
  • curvycarrie
    curvycarrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing a juice fast right now..today is day 20 for me and going strong...I feel fantastic. I usually juice a fruit juice in the morining...a green juice for lunch and pm snack...and my supper has been sort of a v-8 tasting type of juice...

V-Grt

1 large tomatoe
    2 stalks of celery
    1 yellow pepper
    2 colored carrots (if you can't find them, the regular orange ones would be fine)
    1 green onion

I love the taste of this..I'm sure you could add a shake of hot sauce or pepper to it and it would taste FAB

As Joe Cross would say...Juice on!!! :smile:
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about the high caloric intake .????

If you're using it as a meal it's really not a big deal. The juice I make is enough for 6 8oz servings and is under 110 cals, I add water and don't have a juicer though. I use a blender to juice.
  • xzxBigRed1xzx
    Options
    Apples are my best friend! I use 2 every time I juice. Also, cucumber is great with the apples. Don't be afraid to add bell peppers in either!
  • pkdmfp
    pkdmfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been juicing for the last eight years and it is great. If you want to cut down the calories use spinach, kale and Celery more. Let me tell you it does wonders for your overall health. I just love it!

I use:
    1/2 cup Spinach
    1/2 cup Kale
    1/2 Banana
    1/2 Green Apple
    Celery
    1/4 Beet

It really test good.

Enjoy your new Juicer!
  • aidendart
    aidendart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Romaine and granny smith taste good.
    I haven't juiced with kale but if you are trying to add it into your diet you can bake it. Roll kale in a mixture of olive oil, small amount of sea salt, and cayenne pepper (good for digestion), bake on 275 for 25ish minutes. Taste wonderful.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    my only other question i think is how do you make juice from only greens? they are leaves pretty much. how do you get liquid from spinach and kale?
    Put your greens in first, then any additional fruits or veggies will help 'push' all the greens through the juicer.

^THIS! I just finished a kale, pineapple and golden delicious apple juice over ice. It was fantastic!

FYI - Spinach has less flavor than kale, so you may want to start with spinach and "work" your way up to kale. No matter what you put into your juices, make sure you ENJOY them - no holding your nose. ;) That was the advice I was given years ago and it's helped me stay consistent with juicing and to get loads of fruits and vegetables into my diet every week.
  • redwood1800
    Options
    I juiced carrots, lacinato kale, and a green pepper the other day and loved it!
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One thing that's really important to note if you're juicing a lot of veggies and greens is that it's important to rotate your greens. There's a good explanation of it here http://www.thefitnessdish.com/?p=4817 but basically there are 2 reasons:

1 - you get different nutrients from different greens, so using spinach or kale all the time will limit you in that way.

2 - greens, particularly brassica greens, can have toxins that build up in your body over time and can cause issues. So if you're using this type of green (kale, broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, etc.) every day, it might actually make you sick. It's good to have a rotation where you're using these types of greens for a bit then switching to spinach, lettuces, wheatgrass, celery, etc.

and to make this post worth it - one of my favorite recipes:

one large or two small tomatoes,
    one yellow bell pepper
    a couple of handfuls of spinach or another green
    half a cucumber
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Question: Why Juice? Fiber keeps me full longer. I'm not saying it's bad, I just really don't get why someone would juice over eating the actual fruit and veg they're putting in.
  • aidendart
    aidendart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost in the 20 days. I'm on day 5 and have already lost 9.2 lbs :)
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i throw all kinds of veggies and fruit in my juicer, love it, kale spinach, tomatoes, all kind of fruits, coconut oil just use what you have, also add celery and cucumber delicious
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    Now take it back to the store...
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I usually add a little citrus because it has such a powerful taste to kind of take away from the greens like lemon, apples or oranges.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Now you wait for the buyer's remorse to kick in.

Just what I was thinking.

Fiber is the best part of fruit and veggies and you lose that with juicers
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Question: Why Juice? Fiber keeps me full longer. I'm not saying it's bad, I just really don't get why someone would juice over eating the actual fruit and veg they're putting in.

For me... I don't really like the taste of most greens so it's easier to chug it down in a juice.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bumping for recipe ideas...