delayed ovulation/delayed period?

Options
I take my temp every morning to keep track of my ovulation day. Has anyone had major changes to when they ovulate or the start of their periods? I should have ovulated 4 days ago and haven't.

I am down to 1200 calories a day, cardio 4 days/wk for 50-60 minutes and pilates or strength training 2 days/wk. Is that enough to delay ovulation? I don't feel like I'm overdoing it. I've been at this for two weeks, with a 3lb total weight loss, which seems like a healthy/reasonable amount.

Has anyone experienced a delayed ovulation or period during their weight loss journey? Was it a one month occurrence or was it ongoing? I appreciate any advice or experiences you are willing to share. Thanks!

Replies

• clwatlington
    clwatlington Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I have done lots of research and checked with my own physician. When a woman begins to lose body fat it affects the cycle. It will take it a little while to regulate, but losing body fat does help if you are trying to conceive. I hope this helps.
  • bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    :noway: OMG I was wondering this too! I am supposed to be on my period atm but weirdly it hasn't come =\ I have been working out for 2 weeks now and have lost 5lbs and been exercising 5-6 times per week like you.. I really want to know if this is normal :indifferent:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I actually saw my dr for this today as I was a week late then had it for 2 weeks with continued spotting. He said it is normal but just watch out that you are eating enough and if I don't go back to normal then they are going to give me birth control pills to try and regulate it. Also congratulated me on the weight lose and didn't seem overly concerned about it.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    any major change in diet activity level, stress level, can change your cycle. something a simple as two woman being together for an extended period of time can cause their cycles to sync
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I take birth control to regulate it but when I missed a week because i couldn't get the prescription out of state, I went the whole summer without a cycle. I had also lost a lot of weight and my doctors think that had a lot to do with it also. It was really scary and stressful the whole summer. They put me on 3 different medications trying to get it started up again.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen as well. I wouldn't stress. Your body is adjusting to all the changes.
  • jenane
    jenane Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Last summer I dropped from about 196 lbs. to about 184 lbs. and started running daily and my period stopped.
    For three months. I was concerned...thought I was going to have the next miracle birth haha
    But after talking to doctors and others, they out me at ease and it returned the next month.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    WOW OMG this is the discussion i was looking for, k lets start from the beginning, i had a baby girl 10 1/2 months ago after 6 weeks i was on depo, after 6 mths i got off and started yaz, i did that for about 2 months approximately since then i have not been on anything, may 22 was on my period, june 26 i was on my period, july have yet to start but its like the last twomonth i have been on a 35 day cycle (wtf) not really complaining but it drives me crazy, any way i have always been one to work out. on yaz its like i started my perior when i was going to start the new pack. ive lost 5 lbs with in the last 2 weeks doing a new work out. but anyway has anyone ever has a 35 day cycle?
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Yes and I have always had consistent periods. After losing some weight my periods went from 28 days to anywhere from 28 to 35 days. It happens.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    I just wanted to add something to this conversation off topic. When I hear women say their dr's have put them on the pill to regulate their period...it scares me A LOT....if you ever want children....if you don't...stop reading cause you won't care! hahaha..My best friend had this happen when she was younger, she never got her period normally, went on the pill and it regulated, she went off the pill it went right back to the way it was, wonky and irregular. Her dr diagnosed her with PCOS and said "go back on the pill and when your ready to have kids we'll take you off and give you fertility pills"...Please ladies...dont let pills regulate your body..if you ever want kids...do something about it NOW....go to a clinic and get your blood taken, get your body figured out, why aren't you ovulating, why arent you getting your period..what's missing....it took her a good year and a half of constant blood work and charting ect to figure everything out....Do it NOW.....do not let pills run your cycle....do it naturally....please!!! Her PCOS diagnoses was COMPLETELY wrong.....she does NOT have PCOS...it's a blanket diagnosis and it's wrong....I feel so passionately about this because I think it's aweful that dr's are just blowing people off and not doing the work to figure out WHY you do not get your peroid. She choose a natural family planning clinic and it worked for her...some are church driven but if you can get past that...it will change everything! She was basically told it'll be sooo hard to have kids.....well...after taking control over her body and not letting her dr be lazy.....she conceived 2nd try!!!!

Sorry, just something I'm so passionate about...
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    so im not alone i guess with my change in eating habits working out and losing weight my body has changed. my husband and i are have protected sex just not with birth control, certainly hoping condoms work for us.although i don't want anymore i am debating on tying my tubes.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    i didnt get my period for three months then these last couple of months i've had a light period for one day/ a month. then this month i had a straight out period for 4 days. 3 days after i ended i started up again (which is today). i hope it's nothing serious. starting to freak out a bit. how long does it take to regulate itself??
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I happened to start MFP the same time I started taking birth control, so my side effects are confusing. I didn't have one for three months, now I've been bleeding for two weeks now. Before both of these things I was almost completely regular.

Wish I could say it was one cause or the other, but it's probably both.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I lost a considerable ammount of weight some years ago and things definately changed and I wound up pregnant when I thought it was safe,so be careful !
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    My cycle was like clockwork, always bang on 28 days, until the last few months! I haven't lost that much but my lifestyle has definitely changed and I've been working out a lot. I'm still getting my periods but but they're always late. It's annoying, but hopefully it will settle in time.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Also, folks, every 7-10 years, your body changes whether you are dieting/exercising or not. Further, if you spend a lot of time with other women, your body will change to be in line with theirs. That's normal.

Mine went from 28 to 24 days between cycles and mostly has stayed that way. It changed to line up with roommates or colleagues (I felt so sorry for the men in my job!). I didn't see any real change due to the eating habits and weight loss, because of these other factors, though.

That said, when I was dancing many hours a week, as a teen, after having been regular most of my teen time previously, my cycle stopped. I was underweight, apparently. The doctor told me to eat more to cope with the exercise and my cycle came back - not that I was all that happy about it! <g>
  • MAG2010
    MAG2010 Posts: 30
    Options
    Mine was delayed for no reason at all.....which resulted in my 3rd child. LOL. I was 8 months into my WL journey so there wasn't any sudden change that month and nothing to cause a change in my cycle. But my clockwork 28 day cycle was a week longer that month.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I went off birth control last December because I had breast cancer and it was hormone fed. I went on BC in the first place because at age 40 my period just stopped and I created cysts. I was on BC for 4 years. After stopping BC, my period was like clockwork for 4 months, now it has been 2 months with no period. I have been exercising 5 times a week with weights and cardio, changed my diet drastically and lost 8 lbs. All under the supervision of a doctor and trainer. I am really hoping it is the latter and not another cysts. I am so worried. If it is cysts then the Doc said we will have to consider a hysterectomy because I cannot take hormone pills.
  • enwethiel
    enwethiel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP again about 26 days ago. I've lost 10 lbs. My period was almost 3 weeks late, and lasted 2 weeks once I finally got it. I think that it must be the change in my exercise levels that is doing it - i went from nothing to walking between an hour and three hours a day.
  • Maikana2
    Maikana2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Diet changes, loss of body fat, exercises could delay ovulation and period even if you are significantly overweight and must lose weight. Eventually the body regulates but it takes time, with some a long time.