Has anyone lost a lot of weight (100+) slowly?

Options
I keep seeing these wonderful success stories of people who have large amounts of weight fairly quickly. I'm trying to lose 120-150 lbs all together and after a year, I'm only down 40 pounds. At this rate, it's going to take me a few more years to get to my goal weight and I'm hoping to see success stories from people that lost a bunch of weight at a slower rate.

Replies

• peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing these wonderful success stories of people who have large amounts of weight fairly quickly. I'm trying to lose 120-150 lbs all together and after a year, I'm only down 40 pounds. At this rate, it's going to take me a few more years to get to my goal weight and I'm hoping to see success stories from people that lost a bunch of weight at a slower rate.
    some people lose faster than others. at my rate, it's going to take a year and a half to lose the rest of my weight!
    as long as you're going in the right direction... be proud.

if it's men, then yes they lose a LOT faster than women.
    also, other things come into play. how clean they're eating, how much they eat, the kind of exercise they're doing.
    but as long as you stay in your calorie limits, you should be losing at a decent rate.
  • Portugueselove
    Portugueselove Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I started my weightloss journey in 2007. So it's been really slow
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I started my weightloss journey in 2007. So it's been really slow

And what is your story? As in, how much have you lost in what sort of time frame? You look beautiful, btw.
  • die2fat4love
    die2fat4love Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry about how fast. I started at 395 pounds almost 7 years ago. There was some ups, downs, a divorce, a new baby and I am down about 180 with 50 to go. Good for you for sticking with it and don’t worry about the time it takes, just know your getting there and your closer then you were before!
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Mine is slow too, but I've lost weight quickly before and this feels better. I find that the number is becoming less important, and how fit and strong I feel is becoming the point. I think that's healthier. Slow is frustrating though--believe me I get it.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome! Unless you need to lose weight quickly for a surgery or some major health problem, slower is better (and I don't think this applies to you). It is healthier and it may give our skin time to adjust to the changes...I hope. Also the longer it takes, the more likely we will stick with the habits we developed along the way. I've been at this for 15 months now and sometimes I can't believe I'm still fat and I get a little anxious. But when I calm down and focus on the many positive changes I've made, I know I'm on the right course. I know you have made many positive changes too. Try not to get too caught up on the time frame because it is so easy to get discouraged, get off track and start going backwards. Just continue to eat healthier and be more active and let it happen!
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It has taken me almost 2 and a half years to lose my weight. I still have almost 40 lbs to go. It bothers me sometimes that it has taken so long, but then I realize that I will keep it off since I have been working at it for years instead of months. I know I will stick with it and not gain it back. It was really a lifestyle change, not just weight loss. Don't worry about the time frame :)
  • Dianescraps
    Dianescraps Posts: 84
    Options
    I consider my weght loss on the slow side. I started June of 2012 (didn't join MFP till later) So in almost a year I am down about 70 pounds total. There were some stalls in there, and some times when I was doing better too.

I still have a long road ahead of me too.
  • AdenaJ
    AdenaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. My goal is to lose about 150-175 pounds; I've lost 40-ish since October 2011. I do get discouraged that it's not going faster, but then again, I like the fact that I'm not having to follow a really strict diet or exercise like crazy. One thing that encourages me, though, is that I haven't gained weight (besides slight fluctuations now and then) and have developed healthy eating and exercise habits along the way. However, I can afford to have more discipline when it comes to certain things.
  • cqp1
    cqp1 Posts: 41
    Options
    Mine has been slow as well. I started in Jan. and have lost 19 lbs. Hey just made myself feel better. I have been saying I need to lose over a hundred lbs to get to goal weight of 140 but I just did the math to give accurate total and its 96 lbs. So slow weight loss but now I have less than a hundred to lose.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 2 1/2 years. Had some slip ups along the way. Still have around 50 to go to get to my goal.
  • credessa
    credessa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "Don't worry about the time it takes to do something, time is going to pass anyway, you might as well spend it doing something worthwhile." I have this quote taped to my monitor so when I feel things are moving too slowly I'm remided that at least I'm taking steps in the right direction.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have this saying in my head all the time - a quote from a BodyPumper like myself- it doesn't matter how long it takes- when you are "done" you have to continue doing what you are doing now or it will come undone very quickly. The day after you reach your goal is no different than today...
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    It took me about a yr and a half to lose 100lb on my own I am a slow looer but exersice daily this will speed things up and time is not of a issue as it's a life long thing,
    you ARE DOING GREAT! x
    :bigsmile:
  • loseit4ever12
    Options
    It has taken me 5 years to lose almost 100lbs. (i did lose the 100 at one point and regained) I lost 40 and then stayed there for awhile, and then 30 something more and stayed. Lost 100 and regained some. I have .8 until I hit the 100 mark again!!

*Edited to be more clear about my weight loss and gain
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    mine is slow and I'm OK with that. I have peaks and valleys. I'm also working on a food addiction and improving my relationship with food and my body. I havent gained it back, and without really being a nazi about food I've been able to maintain. I'm OK with this I hope it will help re-set my body to accept a lower weight. I'm not in a race. All I care about it not regaining.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I started in 2011 and lost 85 lbs my first 8 months. Then I plateaued in 2012. I ended up slipping and gaining back about 55 lbs in late 2012. I'm back on track now and have lost 55 lbs from my highest. I still have 137 lbs to go and it might take me a few more years but that is okay. I figure the years will pass anyway.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I started my journey in March 2012 and have lost about 135 pounds. I know everyone's bodies are different. I have tried different programs for years and nothing worked. I have also struggled with hypothyroidism and PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Finally, I just did it on my own and changed my diet and am learning more and more about exercise and it seems to be working. Just one day at a time. You will get there. Good luck! Feel free to add me if you want, anyone.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight for about a year. I am pegged out at around 37 lbs lost. But...I have dropped several fat percentages within the last year. It seems to be a trend for some of us to plateau at 40 lbs and the scale not move for some time.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am at 100lb loss in about a year and a half some months I lost 2lbs others 10lbs it just varied on what I was eating and if I moved my body that month lol once I cut out soda (all soda) and cut my sodium to 1,500-2,000 mg a day and sugar down to 24-28mg a day it has dramatically helped.

Once I started Jillian Michaels 30DS and added that to my daily walks I started seeing my body shrink. I don't really give a flip about lbs anymore (stopped caring at 70lb loss) once I got out of the 20's in jeans :) Stay focused and don't compare yourself...it is really hard I know, but once I quit doing that I was/am in a groove. Good luck doll!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!