Boiled Eggs and Heartburn

Options
I am a strong breakfast eater and I have to eat my breakfast on the go alot. I love boiled eggs because they travel well. I have one problem, the boiled eggs give me serious heartburn. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anyway to prevent the heartburn besides antacids or giving up the boiled eggs all together? THis is the only food I have this issue with. Thank you for any advice.

catsnapp213

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Are you putting salt on them? Also, are you eating them alone, or with other food?
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well, you could opt for fruit or toast, etc. Basically, your first option would be to replace them with something else that is equally transportable and fulfilling. Protein bars, mayhaps. You can make them all natural, at home, etc, taking out the processed part of it.

Or you might benefit from taking an antacid. But, taking them long term without a doctor's recommendation isn't a smart thing to do. Consult your doctor, perhaps there is an underlying cause to your heartburn in the AM.

Years back, anything in the morning would make me sick. Milk would make me throw up, I had such strong heartburn and nausea. I also had constant heartburn from various foods throughout the day. I ended up being diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and now, every morning, i take a prescribed antacid that lowers my stomach acid levels by about 70% (insane!) and it keeps the heartburn away completely and totally.
    The only problem i have is making sure not to eat after a certain time at night. It causes less than savory side effects. :c

Sorry for the ramble! But yeah, either change up your breakfast staple or contact a doctor.

ETA: I am aware you didn't want to hear this but, lol, there's nothing I could think of that would help xD
  • urbanmyth
    urbanmyth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I get major cramps when I eat egg yolks. I now only eat the whites without any problems. Maybe see if that works for you?
  • catsnap213
    catsnap213 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do add salt to them and I usually have fruit and or a 1/4 cup of greek yogurt.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I do add salt to them and I usually have fruit and or a 1/4 cup of greek yogurt.

Try them with no salt. It sounds wacky, but I find that certain foods give me heart burn when salted. I don't know why, but it's true. Rice for one. If I salt my rice, I will have heart burn. If my nuts are salted, I will have heart burn from that as well.
  • catsnap213
    catsnap213 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    cutting back drastically on the amount of salt I add to the boiled eggs has cured the hearburn. Thank you very much
  • ILovePink77
    ILovePink77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Salt or no salt I get so much acid in my stomach when eating boiled eggs. I can eat fried eggs with no problem.
  • englishliah
    englishliah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    catsnap213 wrote: »
    I am a strong breakfast eater and I have to eat my breakfast on the go alot. I love boiled eggs because they travel well. I have one problem, the boiled eggs give me serious heartburn. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anyway to prevent the heartburn besides antacids or giving up the boiled eggs all together? THis is the only food I have this issue with. Thank you for any advice.

catsnapp213

Egg yolks are high in fat and can cause acid reflux which is probably why you're getting heartburn, I'm on a GERD diet because of acid reflux and so I avoid egg yolks, egg whites are perfectly fine.
    Most foods that are high in fat are likely to cause heartburn.

• emc986
    emc986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a common issue, salt or no. If no salt works for you, then rejoice!

But all answers tend to lean on tired clichés like salt or the fat in the yolk. But salted scrambled eggs, for instance, don't seem to have the same effect for those who have this issue. Add butter and parmesan, still not the same effect.

Since no one seems to really know why I've been left to my own reasoning and feel that it may be due to the fact that boiled eggs are the least cooking-processed. Even if I pickle my hard-boiled eggs it seems to help with this problem. And this makes me feel like the more the proteins go through a pre-digestive (cooking) process the easier they are to digest and assimilate. Since I'm not a fan of raw eggs maybe someone who is can chime in on this thought if it seems too far-fetched.

But hard-boiled eggs really are wonderful. I just have baking soda or tums around for after.