Sugar from fruits!

Options

Replies

• JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruits are OK to eat. Just watch for any processed sugar....that is where a lot of people go wrong.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rekite. It's the total carb count at the end of the day that matters, not the amount of sugar, especially from fruit. There are so many health benefits from eating fruit that far outweigh the amount of sugar in them.

I would tend to agree with this. Blueberries, for example, is one of the most nutritious foods around. And total carbs probably matter at least as much as sugars as the bodies of obese individuals are usually quite efficient at converting blood glucose into fructose. So even if you eat NO fructose at all, you are going to take a hit from not keeping your blood glucose in normal bounds. Cutting way back on grains and probably eliminating foods with added sugar is a very good idea from a metabolic point of view. While I wouldn't recommend becoming a "fruitarian" (where nothing but fruit is eaten) eating whole fruit is a healthy addition to the diet. What is interesting, is that when sweets are eaten, fruit consumption tends to drop to zero. Ever notice how the fruit rots away in the frig during the holidays when there are a lot of sweets around?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 - 5 fruits a day now that the farmers markets are opening up with fresh fruit. I eat a whole diet and firmly believe that if you are eating whole foods the "sugar" is not equal to candybar sugar or cracker sugar or bread sugar or cookie or processed food sugar. Same a sodium from whole veggies does not equal potato chip sodium or tortilla sodium from added salt.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I always eat fruits during the day and since I started MFP I noticed that I am always "red" on sugar...I had a look from were it came and most of it comes from the fruits....I always eat a banana for breakfast and for my 2 snacks during the day I usually eat an apple, orange, kiwi or melon. My question for u guys, do you think that's too much sugar from 3 fruits a day?
    Banana in the morning, 1 fruit around 12:00 and second around 16:00.
    I try to have a clean diet most of the time so I am talking about days when I really eat healthy and I don't eat any other sweets.

The obesity researchers who are looking into the connection between fructose and obesity believe that it is important for obese individuals to restrict fructose (the primary sugar in fruit) to 15 grams a day. They recommend that non-obese individuals restrict their fructose to 25 grams per day. Having said that, the primary source of fructose, in the standard diet, is from eating sugary foods (sucrose, i.e. table sugar is 50% fructose) and processed foods (which virtually all contain added sugars). The amount of fructose in a can of "orange" soda is roughly equivalent to the amount of fructose in 10 oranges. It is important to remember that the fructose in fruits is encased in fiber and it is released more slowly into the bloodstream because of that. It isn't that our bodies are not capable of dealing with fructose, it is that large amounts at once seem to overwhelm the body's capacity to deal with it. Fructose is metabolized in much the same way as is alcohol, by the way. A little alcohol in one glass of wine does not harm the body (and some studies suggest it may well be beneficial). But drinking a bottle of wine overwhelms the body's ability to handle it and the deleterious effects are quite obvious rather quickly. The same is true of eating a lot of fructose in the form of sugar consumption.

I would say that a normal intake of fruit is probably quite safe (although there is some evidence that "fruitarian" diets--where nothing but fruit is eaten---are problematic). But, if you are obese and trying to lose weight, it may be wise to limit the amount of fructose to 15 grams per day. Glucose and galactose (the other two monosaccharides contained in our diets) do not seem to have the same deleterious effects as does too much fructose. Unfortunately, MFP does not have a separate tracking of fructose in the database. I calculate mine manually. :smile: Hope this has been helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/988127-scientific-review-of-lolstig-s-fat-chance

http://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/what-journalists-should-know-before-writing-about-fructophobia/
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't differentiate. Sugar is sugar. All pretty much broken down the same way be it an apple or a snickers.

This is what the producers of "corn sugar" (HFCS) want you to believe but there is AMPLE scientific evidence that our bodies process fructose differently from glucose, lactose, and other sugars. The body DOES differentiate. For an explanation of the digestion of sugars watch http://www.uctv.tv/shows/Sugar-The-Bitter-Truth-16717
    ^^^^ This note the term "HIGH fructose corn syrup" on any ingredient list.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    "...Sugars to avoid: Lactose (milk sugar) no fiber in milk to slow absorption ( or drink with caution, it is also a food choice not a drink choice), fruit juices (see above), artificial sweeteners ( can cause other health issues), corn syrup ( again stripped of natural casing {corn it is derived from} ), agave nectar ( can be just as caloric as refined white sugar), and refined white sugar..."

Lactose (which the body rapidly converts to galactose in the gut) is slowed in its transmission by the presence of fat, (and also protein) so it really isn't much of a problem as long as you are not eating "no-fat" dairy products. There is some evidence that consuming skim milk worsens Type II diabetes--so there could well be a blood sugar issue when fat is not a part of dairy consumption. Human milk is higher in lactose (and fat) than is cow's milk (and babies thrive on it). I agree with the rest of your post. :smile:

Ahh, yes, but most people do not consume full fat milk, and the lactose sugars can be an irritant to the system. They have a sugar-fat- protein ratio that messes with the metabolism, the sugars are still released too fast in the system, and animal fat is too high. Yes human milk is higher in lactose, and fat (this is because it is a {food} for a growing infant) Children who are growing at such a rapid rate (babies) need the extras that our adult body does not need because we are no longer growing at rapid rates in which the extra energy is needed within the cells.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    The obesity researchers who are looking into the connection between fructose and obesity believe that it is important for obese individuals to restrict fructose (the primary sugar in fruit) to 15 grams a day. They recommend that non-obese individuals restrict their fructose to 25 grams per day. Having said that, the primary source of fructose, in the standard diet, is from eating sugary foods (sucrose, i.e. table sugar is 50% fructose) and processed foods (which virtually all contain added sugars). The amount of fructose in a can of "orange" soda is roughly equivalent to the amount of fructose in 10 oranges. It is important to remember that the fructose in fruits is encased in fiber and it is released more slowly into the bloodstream because of that. It isn't that our bodies are not capable of dealing with fructose, it is that large amounts at once seem to overwhelm the body's capacity to deal with it. Fructose is metabolized in much the same way as is alcohol, by the way. A little alcohol in one glass of wine does not harm the body (and some studies suggest it may well be beneficial). But drinking a bottle of wine overwhelms the body's ability to handle it and the deleterious effects are quite obvious rather quickly. The same is true of eating a lot of fructose in the form of sugar consumption.

I would say that a normal intake of fruit is probably quite safe (although there is some evidence that "fruitarian" diets--where nothing but fruit is eaten---are problematic). But, if you are obese and trying to lose weight, it may be wise to limit the amount of fructose to 15 grams per day. Glucose and galactose (the other two monosaccharides contained in our diets) do not seem to have the same deleterious effects as does too much fructose. Unfortunately, MFP does not have a separate tracking of fructose in the database. I calculate mine manually. :smile: Hope this has been helpful.

Do you have an research links to show this?

You will not get fat from fruit unless your total overall calorie intake day to day is over your TDEE. Fruit will not cause you to gain weight provided overall you are at a calorie deficit.

If this were the case, I wouldn't be losing weight each week. I am classified as obese and regularly consume double to triple (if not more) than 15g of sugar from fruits daily.

Yeah--in another post, I spoke of the importance of generally restricting carbohydrates (and even calories in general). The group of researchers who wrote this research paper are doing most of their research in the area of the bio-chemical effects of fructose consumption: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/docs/johnson-347ajcn review.pdf
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Aside from carb/sugar/fructose opinions, if being in the red for sugar bothers you, the grams can be adjusted... go to my home --> goals --> change goals --> custom --> enter your desired grams of sugar. I ignore the individual nutrients and just aim to keep protein, carbs and fat in the range I've set for myself.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i think just do what works for you. My rules of thumb are that natural is better than chemical. Moreover, calories/nutrients from natural foods (like fruit) is always ok. That being said, if you are counting calories (or a specific nutrient), then as natural food is still real food made up of real chemicals and nutrients, you need to count them in your totals like everything else.
  • haleylj2003
    Options
    I eat fruit daily too. I rarely eat bananas though, because of their sugar content. However, if you eat one right after an intense workout, I have read that your body will process the sugar. Stick with berries, and melons. Berries have so many positives, they out weigh the negatives, melons are full of water, so they help keep you hydrated. When I first started trying to loose weight, I was making smoothies with every morning with lots of fruits. bad mistake... gained instead of lost. Its good to have them, just remember moderation, and stick with the ones that are less sugary
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...Sugars to avoid: Lactose (milk sugar) no fiber in milk to slow absorption ( or drink with caution, it is also a food choice not a drink choice), fruit juices (see above), artificial sweeteners ( can cause other health issues), corn syrup ( again stripped of natural casing {corn it is derived from} ), agave nectar ( can be just as caloric as refined white sugar), and refined white sugar..."

Lactose (which the body rapidly converts to galactose in the gut) is slowed in its transmission by the presence of fat, (and also protein) so it really isn't much of a problem as long as you are not eating "no-fat" dairy products. There is some evidence that consuming skim milk worsens Type II diabetes--so there could well be a blood sugar issue when fat is not a part of dairy consumption. Human milk is higher in lactose (and fat) than is cow's milk (and babies thrive on it). I agree with the rest of your post. :smile:

Ahh, yes, but most people do not consume full fat milk, and the lactose sugars can be an irritant to the system. They have a sugar-fat- protein ratio that messes with the metabolism, the sugars are still released too fast in the system, and animal fat is too high. Yes human milk is higher in lactose, and fat (this is because it is a {food} for a growing infant) Children who are growing at such a rapid rate (babies) need the extras that our adult body does not need because we are no longer growing at rapid rates in which the extra energy is needed within the cells.

I consume ONLY full fat organic dairy (but not even a lot of that because I am restricting to 1,360 calories per day). For those who don't have a lactase deficiency (and you would KNOW if you did---the effects are NOT pleasant when lactose is consumed in the absence of sufficient lactase) full fat dairy products are a good addition to the diet. There is a satiety factor there that is hard to beat. There have been some studies which show that those who consume full-fat dairy have less of a tendency to regain lost weight. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I always eat fruits during the day and since I started MFP I noticed that I am always "red" on sugar...I had a look from were it came and most of it comes from the fruits....I always eat a banana for breakfast and for my 2 snacks during the day I usually eat an apple, orange, kiwi or melon. My question for u guys, do you think that's too much sugar from 3 fruits a day?
    I try to have a clean diet most of the time so I am talking about days when I really eat healthy and I don't eat any other sweets.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/988127-scientific-review-of-lolstig-s-fat-chance

http://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/what-journalists-should-know-before-writing-about-fructophobia/

There is a lot of serious research being done in the area of fructose and obesity. Robert Lustig is NOT the only source.
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    Options
    I feel most anyone is ok to consume fruit daily. However if one is a insulin
    weak individual pre diabetic/diabetic/pcos etc, it might hinder ones ability
    to lose as well.

I have insulin troubles, although I love fruit, I've been ritually
    Eating 3-4 svgs per day and losing weight still but when I looked @ my macros,
    my carbs needed tweaked, starting tomorrow I'm limiting myself to one fruit
    per day. I don't eat many carbs to begin w/ but this is my last sacrifice. My
    macros might get me better success. I hope it will be worth my trouble. :|
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

There is a lot of serious research being done in the area of fructose and obesity. Robert Lustig is NOT the only source.

And none of the current body of literature on it, warrants you level of fructose fearmongering or fructophobia
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

About to blow your mind here...

Do you know why researchers think that there is a link between sugar and obesity?

Because people have a tendency to prefer the taste of sweet above all other tastes, therefore, people will consume more calories in sugar than their bodies actually need. That doesn't mean that there is a direct link between sugar and obesity (causation). That means that there is a tendency that links sugar and obesity together (correlation). Obese people who eat sugar, eat lots of sugar. The sugar didn't make them obese, the over-consumption of sugar is what made them obese.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options

I consume ONLY full fat organic dairy (but not even a lot of that because I am restricting to 1,360 calories per day). For those who don't have a lactase deficiency (and you would KNOW if you did---the effects are NOT pleasant when lactose is consumed in the absence of sufficient lactase) full fat dairy products are a good addition to the diet. There is a satiety factor there that is hard to beat. There have been some studies which show that those who consume full-fat dairy have less of a tendency to regain lost weight. :smile:

This is true, but again we are talking about better sugar choices, and that puts dairy out. Simply it is released to quickly into the blood stream to be healthy in the sugars department. Most people treat milk as a drink instead of a food. It is a food designed to assist mammal infants with the essentials for rapid cell division and growth. This requires a lot of energy, and fat. We do not need this as adults who no longer need to support super fast cell growth. Also, I believe since we are not baby cows, we do not need baby cow food. Each species of mammal requires different levels of the important stuff. Baby cow juice is meant for baby cows. Baby homosapiens need baby homosapien food (mother's milk). It is consumed by us b/c we like it, not b/c we need it. If you look at studies cows milk is one of the most common food allergies in childhood. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12487202 I believe it is because it is NOT designed for our mammal body, but for the cows. Like I said before it is super irritating to the digestive system. In order for our metabolism to function at it's best, and for our hormones (which are important to our metabolism) to stay in line so our bodies can reach there natural weight (right for you weight) we have to eliminate the things that cause our liver (bodies filter) to have to work harder. Our liver has to work too hard to remove toxins, irritants, and figure out how to break down GMO foods than we store what it can not keep up with in white fat for it to deal with later. This makes it harder to get rid of the bad fat in our body. You know the stuff that collects around our mid-section, and thighs (We all love that right?) Dairy is one of these things that uses too much of our precious livers time, and resources. Make better use of the live eliminate irritants. Wheat (too genetically modified for the body to see it as wheat anymore. It sees it as an irritant). Corn (again genetically modified, and promotes fat marbling in muscle, Way too high in sugar, and not nutritionally valuable), Dairy (reasons above), Soy (genetically modified, and contains plant estrogens that too closely match ours, and could raise your natural levels too high, Refined sugars (self explanatory {if it is refined, or enriched it was stripped of it's natural housing}), Caffeine (it is a stimulate that raises hormone levels and throws the body out of whack for optimal metabolism), Alcohol (uses too much of the precious liver function that could be better used for other things, fruit juices, and dried fruit ( delivers too much sugar to the system too quick), and finally diet foods, or artificial sweeteners ( they are missing important natural parts of the housing it was supposed to be eaten in), Peanuts (exposed to too many afalatoxins, and molds. can trigger to many bad reactions)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

This is true, but again we are talking about better sugar choices, and that puts dairy out. Simply it is released to quickly into the blood stream to be healthy in the sugars department. Most people treat milk as a drink instead of a food. It is a food designed to assist mammal infants with the essentials for rapid cell division and growth. This requires a lot of energy, and fat. We do not need this as adults who no longer need to support super fast cell growth. Also, I believe since we are not baby cows, we do not need baby cow food. Each species of mammal requires different levels of the important stuff. Baby cow juice is meant for baby cows. Baby homosapiens need baby homosapien food (mother's milk). It is consumed by us b/c we like it, not b/c we need it. If you look at studies cows milk is one of the most common food allergies in childhood. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12487202 I believe it is because it is NOT designed for our mammal body, but for the cows. Like I said before it is super irritating to the digestive system. In order for our metabolism to function at it's best, and for our hormones (which are important to our metabolism) to stay in line so our bodies can reach there natural weight (right for you weight) we have to eliminate the things that cause our liver (bodies filter) to have to work harder. Our liver has to work too hard to remove toxins, irritants, and figure out how to break down GMO foods than we store what it can not keep up with in white fat for it to deal with later. This makes it harder to get rid of the bad fat in our body. You know the stuff that collects around our mid-section, and thighs (We all love that right?) Dairy is one of these things that uses too much of our precious livers time, and resources. Make better use of the live eliminate irritants. Wheat (too genetically modified for the body to see it as wheat anymore. It sees it as an irritant). Corn (again genetically modified, and promotes fat marbling in muscle, Way too high in sugar, and not nutritionally valuable), Dairy (reasons above), Soy (genetically modified, and contains plant estrogens that too closely match ours, and could raise your natural levels too high, Refined sugars (self explanatory {if it is refined, or enriched it was stripped of it's natural housing}), Caffeine (it is a stimulate that raises hormone levels and throws the body out of whack for optimal metabolism), Alcohol (uses too much of the precious liver function that could be better used for other things, fruit juices, and dried fruit ( delivers too much sugar to the system too quick), and finally diet foods, or artificial sweeteners ( they are missing important natural parts of the housing it was supposed to be eaten in), Peanuts (exposed to too many afalatoxins, and molds. can trigger to many bad reactions)

Milk can be a very beneficial thing to include in your diet (along with other dairy products). Not everyone has issues with dairy products as you mentioned.

Wheat is also not bad for everyone. Some people have issues digesting it, some don't. If you don't have an issue digesting dairy products or wheat, continue to eat them. Soy, sure there is a lot of "evidence" out there that it is bad for us... however when consuming non GMO versions and keeping portions to a smaller amount, provided you have no hormonal issues you are fine. A bit of soy won't hurt you.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    eat fruit, its good for you, and packed with vitamins and minerals... The sugar? It's not bad for you, nor very fattening

<facepalm>

no not directly- but it sure as **** will prevent you from losing weight.

How will the sugar from fruit prevent you from losing weight? Provided you are at a calorie deficit and do not have insulin issues it won't stop you from losing.
  • IamMeMa5
    IamMeMa5 Posts: 12
    Options

I can't believe this is on the board today. I have this same problem and was online researching the issue. I had assumed it but confirmed it today that sugar from fruits is OK unless you have other health issues. I do watch my carbs and eat fruits with lower sugar. Thanks everyone for all the input.
  • gogosyss
    gogosyss Posts: 8
    Options

Thanks for the list of things to avoid...I ll keep in mind...regarding the milk, I only drink soya milk the unsweetened one...I find it much better for me...