Runners-what is a Tempo Run?

Options
Hi guys. I am training for my first 5K which is in three weeks. I used and about.com training program for eight weeks. However, I'm not sure exactly what a tempo run is. Here is what the description says:

"Tempo Run: Tempo runs help you develop your anaerobic threshold, which is critical for fast 5K racing. Start your run with 5-10 minutes easy running, then continue with 15-20 minutes running near your 10K pace (but not at race pace), and finish with 5-10 minutes cooling down. If you're not sure what your 10K pace is, run at a pace that feels "comfortably hard."

I am not sure what a 10K or 5K pace is. I can run a mile in about 9:45 seconds at my best. Can someone please explain this to me better? Thank you!

About.com 5K training plan link: http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/5Kadvbeginner.htm

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/whats-difference-between-fartlek-tempo-and-interval-runs

This article helped me a lot.

Basically, a tempo run is NOT at conversational pace. You feel like you're pushing yourself hard to maintain that pace for the entire distance, but you won't have to slow down at any point to catch your breath.
  • patricemeredithclarke
    patricemeredithclarke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hate running on treadmills, but I do most of my tempo runs on treadmills because it is easy to know that I am maintaining my pace. Just pick a pace (it could be 9:45) that you want to run the entire 5K at and that is your "tempo." I know it says "not at race pace" but I usually just end up using my "race pace" as my tempo run pace to get my body used to it. Then either make sure you are keeping up if you are outside, or set your treadmill to that pace and run away! Hope that helped a little! Good luck!
  • itsCheek
    itsCheek Posts: 104
    Options

Thanks!! That link explains it perfectly!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Tempo runs are at an intensity just below where lactate accumulates in the bloodstream faster than the body can clear it. The purpose of the run is to train the body to clear lactate more efficiently. This is important because when lactate builds up too high its associated byproducts interfere in the muscles energy conversion process and you have to slow down.

So, the better your body clears lactate the faster and longer you can run.

The appropriate pace is 1 hour race pace which for most recreational runner is around 10K pace or 20 seconds slower than 5K pace. You can also go by heartrate which should be around 85 to 92% of max.

Or you can plug in a race PR into the McMillan running calculator at http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Plugging your best mile time of 9:45 into the calculator yields a tempo run pace of 10:59 to 11:21.
  • itsCheek
    itsCheek Posts: 104
    Options
    Tempo runs are at an intensity just below where lactate accumulates in the bloodstream faster than the body can clear it. The purpose of the run is to train the body to clear lactate more efficiently. This is important because when lactate builds up too high its associated byproducts interfere in the muscles energy conversion process and you have to slow down.

So, the better your body clears lactate the faster and longer you can run.

The appropriate pace is 1 hour race pace which for most recreational runner is around 10K pace or 20 seconds slower than 5K pace. You can also go by heartrate which should be around 85 to 92% of max.

Or you can plug in a race PR into the McMillan running calculator at http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Plugging your best mile time of 9:45 into the calculator yields a tempo run pace of 10:59 to 11:21.

Wow-thank you!!
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    A tempo run is a run that is faster than the pace that you are training for but at a shorter distance (typically about 15 to 30 seconds faster than the desired pace). Since you are utilizing a beginner running plan, they just want you to get the feel for the tempo run and what it is like to push your body to a more uncomfortable level and maintain a faster pace, similar to a run where you are trying to get your best time.

The best place to go to determine what your approximate paces will be for a 5K and 10K is www.mcmillanrunning.com/. Just plug in your mile time in step one and leave step 2 blank. Take the 10 K pace and take about 15 to 30 seconds off

I am not sure if you are running with a GPS watch with Pace Data. If so, just take the 15 to 30 seconds off your estimated 10 K pace and you will know what to maintain your pace at. If you are running with just a stopwatch, you will need to monitor how long you are taking to run a mile and adjust your pace based on that.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I hate running on treadmills, but I do most of my tempo runs on treadmills because it is easy to know that I am maintaining my pace. Just pick a pace (it could be 9:45) that you want to run the entire 5K at and that is your "tempo." I know it says "not at race pace" but I usually just end up using my "race pace" as my tempo run pace to get my body used to it. Then either make sure you are keeping up if you are outside, or set your treadmill to that pace and run away! Hope that helped a little! Good luck!

tempo pace is not 5K pace (that is your VO2max more or less), it is closer to half marathon pace

if you can't hold the pace for 30+ minutes, you are running too fast

if you can hold the pace for much over an hour, you're running too slow
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like the very unscientific description of tempo runs being a "comfortably hard" pace. If you use the Furman FIRST program, they just give you a pace based on your latest 5K. In the beginning of the training cycle I am now in, I had trouble hitting the assigned paces, but over time, I have been able to maintain them fairly comfortably. Tempo runs are fun because you get to air it out a little, without killing yourself. They can incorporated into one of your runs during the week. For example: 1 mi. easy, 3 mi @ "a comfortably hard pace", 1 mile easy. :o)

Good luck!
  • patricemeredithclarke
    Options

tempo pace is not 5K pace (that is your VO2max more or less), it is closer to half marathon pace

Interesting... I guess I am running too slow in my tempo runs then! I guess I will try to pick up the pace for the tempo runs. Thanks.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Interesting... I guess I am running too slow in my tempo runs then! I guess I will try to pick up the pace for the tempo runs. Thanks.

hard to say, as I'm speaking from the context of longer distance training (half marathon or marathon)

but if you can run your tempos at 5K pace, then one of two this things is likely true:

1) you are running 5Ks too slow
    2) you are running for tempos too fast

true 5K race pace is 95+% of max heart rate = verge of death kind of running - it is truly an exercise in pain when raced correctly
  • patricemeredithclarke
    Options
    [/quote]

hard to say, as I'm speaking from the context of longer distance training (half marathon or marathon)

but if you can run your tempos at 5K pace, then one of two this things is likely true:

1) you are running 5Ks too slow
    2) you are running for tempos too fast

true 5K race pace is 95+% of max heart rate = verge of death kind of running - it is truly an exercise in pain when raced correctly
    [/quote]

Training for another half right now, though I am running long runs of up to 20 miles now -- thinking I might run a full, though I never have. I typically do a tempo run with a 1 mile warm up and then run it at a pace that I could comfortably run for 6-10 miles (even if I don't do the full 6-10). I got that from Hal Higdon's intermediate half training plan that I am using... "A lot of runners look at my training schedules and ask, "What do you mean by 'pace?'" I mean "race pace," the pace at which you expect to run the half marathon." Anyway, thanks for the advice and I will try to pick up the pace. I must say though, I have no desire to run "verge of death kind of running" as I run for the fun and joy of it!

Sorry to hijack this post, but I do have another question for you, arc918. I see you are very experienced in marathons but that you say you run on an empty stomach. I absolutely hate gels, sport beans, and generally eating during a long run. I have never passed out when I don't eat and I get sick when I do. Granted 20 miles is my PDR, but I feel like I can go 26 without eating. What do you do?

Thanks!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    A tempo run is a run that is faster than the pace that you are training for but at a shorter distance (typically about 15 to 30 seconds faster than the desired pace).

A tempo run, as others describe is run at your LT pace (what you can hold for about an hour). The race distance which you are training for has no effect on this.