I changed my perspective

Options
I'm short (5'2"), always have been, always will be. I see my world from this perspective. The lights under my cooktop vent are blinding to me - who thought 500 megawatt halogen was a good idea? Dust on top of the fridge? Never seen it - so it doesn't exist. Stepstool required to clean the house, I got that.

One thing I've never done - is wear high heels. You'd think it's a no-brainer for a short woman to wear them, but not when they make you feel like a bowling ball on stilts.

Well, I may still be short, but I'm not a bowling ball anymore. My 13yo daughter thought it would be fun on a recent shopping trip to try on these funky platform sandals:

shoe_zps363c9dbb.png

Oh hell no!
Wait, maybe
Well, OK, let's try them.

Whoa! A whole new world. I felt dizzy from altitude sickness, but damn my calves looked phenomenal! And I could hold myself up! 1 year of running and lifting has really strengthened my legs and improved my balance. I could actually walk. And for the record, those are 6 inch heels. Yeah - I was 5'8" for about 5 minutes.

Did I buy them - hell to the NO! For three reasons:

1. Too scared I'd suffer an injury and not be able to work out!
2. Husband was totally freaked out.
3. My daughter might want to wear them, and with her long legs, she looked older - MUCH older (see #2)

What else can I do to look at my world differently???

Replies

• jackieleannebowman
    jackieleannebowman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cute story! and great accomplishment!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    What?????????

Hhahaha :wink:
    Those shoes look really comphy, trust me the cork on the sole is the best comfort there is.
    I have several pairs. :tongue: Not this version, though. Something about the straps. :ohwell:
    Get some damn heels woman..or a few great pairs of wedges.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10... I am getting them.....
  • mummamckay
    mummamckay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!! Xxx
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You could try baby steps. Instead of jumping into 5" heels try some that have 2" or 3". I can walk in heels, but that's it. A friend tried to take me dancing one time and I looked like I was doing the robot the whole night because I was scared to move my feet.
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I coud not imagine life without ever wearing a pair of High Heels :-/ (I'm just saying)...the thought makes me dizzy
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" also, and can totally relate. On the rare occasion I wear heels, I see the top of the bookshelf covered in dust, the top of the cooktop vent covered in dust, and I hit my head on things that I wouldn't when in flats...
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm 5'10... I am getting them.....

Good god, woman - you'll be somethin' in those! Rawr!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Love it!!

Hmmm, my every day shoes are 3.5" clogs. That makes me used to a 5' 9.5" perspective. Which is great until I'm going around the house in my socks and think I can reach something and can't.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I coud not imagine life without ever wearing a pair of High Heels :-/ (I'm just saying)...the thought makes me dizzy

Agreed!!!! Owwwww Now I wanna go out..Hell, I don't need to go out, I really wear heels of all types all the time.
    With jeans, Skirts, Dress pants, In just a t-shirt...haha just kidding.

I think OP, you will notice a lift in ur Spirits if ya get some great baby heels.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You'll get up there yet!

I'm 5'11 and I wear everything from flats for 5" stillettos.

I still don't dust the top of my fridge - no one else in my family can see it.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Very cute story! I used to wear everything from flats to 4" spikes... And then, arthritis. Yes, 5'3" here and loveloveloved my high heels! Was one of those girls that practiced with a book on my head. I could dance and scamper along... Oh well, if you are young enough, I agree with starting with about 1 1/2" - that's what I'm wearing for dress up these days. You n your daughter could do it together.. With books on your heads! LOL! :wink:

Enjoy. :happy:
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    No suggestions, but loved the post::laugh:
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Awesome OP! No need to be afraid! :flowerforyou:

I am 5'0" and I LOVE my "Über High Heel Collection"

I just bought a pair similar to this one, cork platform, but platinum straps. Cannot wait to tower at 5'3" all summer long :drinker:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I wear high heels and can see over my 6'2" hubby's head....talk about altitude sickness..... ;)
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    High heels are one of life's greatest joys for those who like them. I'm 5'9" but I still love my heels. :)
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love high heels, and wow they make a women feel sexy. I try not to buy ones over 4 inches though (#1- I'm 5'6", so I don't really need them, I just think they are pretty, #2- anything over 4 inches start to get kind slutty looking in my opinion). They sure do help the confidence level.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    :sad:
    For the first time in my life, I actually want to wear a pair of sexy heels, and I can't. Bum ankle that won't straighten. :grumble:

Super cute story. :wink:
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Did I buy them - hell to the NO! For three reasons:

1. Too scared I'd suffer an injury and not be able to work out!

This was my thought exactly- I agree with the comments made about trying some that are perhaps not so high.
    I am 5/7 and like to wear heels, but had given them up for a while. Now with stronger calfs and less weight to carry around, I like to strut- but not in 5inches.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    LOL - good for you!! I love high heels, but I'm sure I couldn't master them!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!