Symptoms of eating too little? doing P90X

Options
briggsy13
briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
I posted this in Nutrition but I think it might be more applicable to here.
So I'm experiencing low energy and low libido (sorry if TMI). None of this was a problem prior to starting P90X the beginning of April. The nutrition guide has me eating 2400 calories a day. I think that sounds like way too much for me. I've been eating around 1500 but now I've noticed the lack of energy (wanting a nap in the afternoon) and low libido. I read it could also be from the low carb, low fat diet? Anyone else go through this? Just wondering what I can expect from adding extra calories or if I need to add something else to my eating?

Replies

• skalkbrenn
    skalkbrenn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are getting the calories it is recommending. I did Insanity last year and it gave me 2300 calories a day and I thought that was way too much. After 6 weeks I did notice a difference but was not powering through my workouts like I thought I'd be and I was not losing weight. I upped my caloried to the suggested amount and it changed everything. I had the energy to work out, felt great, and weight came off easier. Just started back up this year after refinding my motivation!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your are not eating enough. You are only eating 1500 cals? Are you eating back exercise cals? I'd be eating more.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Yep.. you are not eating enough (your body is not getting the energy it needs). I would at least eat back your exercise calories.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yea eat more calories and make sure your eating more good fats...if your doing low carb.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your workouts and build muscle. P90X is a rigorous high calorie burning workout. Eat the amount that is recommended. You can add protein shakes to meet the requirement. 1500 is too little and you're doing your body more harm than good. You're not losing weight because your body is holding on to whatever little energy you're feeding it.

At least your TDEE-20% and choose your activity to highly active. You can follow this plan...it's what I've been doing for the past couple of months loosing about 1lb a week and have lost 11 inches since.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I did P90x a couple years ago and I am doing it now and adding Girls big booty lifting and hiking in too and I am low carb for my thyroid but I definitely make sure I eat enough calls and lots of good fat for energy.. Plus get a full 8hrs sleep at night too.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? You know, one that has a touch screen, wifi, phone signal, gps, etc, etc.

Ever notice how when you don't charge your phone, it goes into a low-power mode? What happens? The screen gets dim. Instead of shutting off after 30 seconds of inactivity, it shuts off after 3. Sound gets quieter. GPS shuts off. Apps don't sync automatically. Etc. Etc. Sure, it will still make phone calls, but it's not really what you paid for. It doesn't function as well.

Do you walk around with your phone at 1/4 charge? Then when it almost bottoms out, give it 15 minutes of recharge, then done?

Do you treat your cell phone better than you do your own body?

In the Minnesota Starvation Experiment a group of men went from a 3200 calorie a day maintenance diet to a 1600 calorie a day diet. They walked about 3 miles a day (300 calories) and did some other routine stuff. Bringing their net caloric intake to 1200 or so.

You are eating 1500 calories and burning 500 to 600 calories with P90X brining your net total to 1000 calories. In other words, even less than the guys who were starving themselves.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment and see what it's store for ya!

That being said, instead of using your current weight in the P90X calculations, try substituting with your goal weight. It will be a smaller number and won't hurt you as much.
  • briggsy13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I will definitely add more food each day!! I'm not really doing low carb, just trying to keep the ratios they mentioned in the Nutrition guide. Which was harder than I thought since one piece of fruit can have a chunk of carbs. But I know its good carbs. I'll try to remember to report back and share how I am doing in a couple weeks.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Low Libido might indicate youre not eating enough fat or youre just stressing your body too hard..what does your recovery protocol look like?
  • briggsy13
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? You know, one that has a touch screen, wifi, phone signal, gps, etc, etc.

Ever notice how when you don't charge your phone, it goes into a low-power mode? What happens? The screen gets dim. Instead of shutting off after 30 seconds of inactivity, it shuts off after 3. Sound gets quieter. GPS shuts off. Apps don't sync automatically. Etc. Etc. Sure, it will still make phone calls, but it's not really what you paid for. It doesn't function as well.

Do you walk around with your phone at 1/4 charge? Then when it almost bottoms out, give it 15 minutes of recharge, then done?

Do you treat your cell phone better than you do your own body?

In the Minnesota Starvation Experiment a group of men went from a 3200 calorie a day maintenance diet to a 1600 calorie a day diet. They walked about 3 miles a day (300 calories) and did some other routine stuff. Bringing their net caloric intake to 1200 or so.

You are eating 1500 calories and burning 500 to 600 calories with P90X brining your net total to 1000 calories. In other words, even less than the guys who were starving themselves.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment and see what it's store for ya!

That being said, instead of using your current weight in the P90X calculations, try substituting with your goal weight. It will be a smaller number and won't hurt you as much.

Very good example of the phone. I guess I didn't realize I wasn't eating enough. It was like it took my body a few weeks for it to catch up to me. My goal weight is currently only 15 lbs less than my weight now. But that will be a good idea for getting a new calorie goal. Thanks!!
  • briggsy13
    Options
    Well I wanted to report back after 2 weeks of increased calories. My weight loss has not increased or decreased in rate. I've still lost about .6 or .8 lbs each week. I guess I feel better now eating more calories. I did have an overage this weekend on Sunday for my son's bday. My eating hasn't been as clean so I'm gonna work a bit harder on that and go from there.