Sugar from fruits!

Options
124»

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I always eat fruits during the day and since I started MFP I noticed that I am always "red" on sugar...I had a look from were it came and most of it comes from the fruits....I always eat a banana for breakfast and for my 2 snacks during the day I usually eat an apple, orange, kiwi or melon. My question for u guys, do you think that's too much sugar from 3 fruits a day?
    Banana in the morning, 1 fruit around 12:00 and second around 16:00.
    I try to have a clean diet most of the time so I am talking about days when I really eat healthy and I don't eat any other sweets.

The obesity researchers who are looking into the connection between fructose and obesity believe that it is important for obese individuals to restrict fructose (the primary sugar in fruit) to 15 grams a day. They recommend that non-obese individuals restrict their fructose to 25 grams per day. Having said that, the primary source of fructose, in the standard diet, is from eating sugary foods (sucrose, i.e. table sugar is 50% fructose) and processed foods (which virtually all contain added sugars). The amount of fructose in a can of "orange" soda is roughly equivalent to the amount of fructose in 10 oranges. It is important to remember that the fructose in fruits is encased in fiber and it is released more slowly into the bloodstream because of that. It isn't that our bodies are not capable of dealing with fructose, it is that large amounts at once seem to overwhelm the body's capacity to deal with it. Fructose is metabolized in much the same way as is alcohol, by the way. A little alcohol in one glass of wine does not harm the body (and some studies suggest it may well be beneficial). But drinking a bottle of wine overwhelms the body's ability to handle it and the deleterious effects are quite obvious rather quickly. The same is true of eating a lot of fructose in the form of sugar consumption.

I would say that a normal intake of fruit is probably quite safe (although there is some evidence that "fruitarian" diets--where nothing but fruit is eaten---are problematic). But, if you are obese and trying to lose weight, it may be wise to limit the amount of fructose to 15 grams per day. Glucose and galactose (the other two monosaccharides contained in our diets) do not seem to have the same deleterious effects as does too much fructose. Unfortunately, MFP does not have a separate tracking of fructose in the database. I calculate mine manually. :smile: Hope this has been helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/988127-scientific-review-of-lolstig-s-fat-chance

http://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/what-journalists-should-know-before-writing-about-fructophobia/

There is a lot of serious research being done in the area of fructose and obesity. Robert Lustig is NOT the only source.

And none of the current body of literature on it, warrants you level of fructose fearmongering or fructophobia

I am NOT "fructose fearmongering" nor do I have "fructophobia". Consuming excessive sucrose is problematic for everyone (and what is excessive for one person may or may not be excessive for someone else). Why do you think MANY in the medical establishment have been complaining about sugar consumption for a number of years now?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Milk is protein rich- don't avoid it if you are trying to make sure you get enough protein- just make sure you recognize it's a source of protein and not you know- water.

sugar causes inslin spikes and that's great if you are bulking- but if you aren't- well it's going to tell your system to store.

"When you eat sugar, refined sugar especially, you are flooding your blood with glucose, which insulin is supposed to sweep into either a) muscles & organ cells for immediate use, b) brain cells for immediate use and maintenance or c) fat storage. Some people develop a condition called insulin resistance, where their insulin becomes less effective at sweeping that sugar out of the blood. So more of it ends up getting stored and less used, not to mention other harmful effects over time like development of diabetes and hardening of the arteries."

read some the things.
    http://www.leanitup.com/how-insulin-carbs-and-hfcs-impact-weightloss/

also read this.
    http://lifehacker.com/5895525/are-bananas-as-bad-for-you-as-cookies-which-foods-to-eat-to-keep-you-full-and-not-crash-later
  • gogosyss
    gogosyss Posts: 8
    Options
    Milk is protein rich- don't avoid it if you are trying to make sure you get enough protein- just make sure you recognize it's a source of protein and not you know- water.

As far as I know,Soy milk is also protein rich...I don't eat meet and fish ( first by choice and second because I really don't like it) so protein is a main concern for me..to get as much as possible and of course low carbs..
  • gogosyss
    gogosyss Posts: 8
    Options
    I know in Paleo I was only allowed certain fruits because they were "better" for you. Anything "tropical" (banana, pineapple, Mango, Guava, etc) are EXTREMELY high in sugar (this was according to the diet plan and my trainers) - granted, it's natural sugar, but your body processes it differently.

I eat one banana and my sugar levels for the day are pretty much shot. Just with one banana.

But with Paleo I could eat all the berries I wanted. And the fiber from them is good too.

You just need to find what works best for you.

Try cycling your higher sugar fruits to days you do cardio, and limit them. to one choice a day. Your very right too many high sugar fruits not good, but they are still important to the body on a nutrient level. I mean two kiwi's a day, and you have way more potassium than the banana, and less fat. Again I will stress lots of alkalizing veggies to counter act the fruit. I go for two veggies to every one portion of fruit.

Very wise advice. :smile:

I usually eat my banana in the morning with soy milk and 2 weetabix...I get a lot of energy and I really don't feel the need to eat until around 2 or 3...most of the times no carbs for dinner except the occasional cous cous ..so I try as much as possible to stay on the 1200 - 1300 cal per day....I am not obese at all, I am actually trying to lose max 5 kilos ...the question came from the fact that I am not losing any weight and might be from the 3 fruits a day thing..one of them being a banana :) ...I will actually try to eat more berries which I really don't do..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

sugar causes inslin spikes and that's great if you are bulking- but if you aren't- well it's going to tell your system to store.

"When you eat sugar, refined sugar especially, you are flooding your blood with glucose, which insulin is supposed to sweep into either a) muscles & organ cells for immediate use, b) brain cells for immediate use and maintenance or c) fat storage. Some people develop a condition called insulin resistance, where their insulin becomes less effective at sweeping that sugar out of the blood. So more of it ends up getting stored and less used, not to mention other harmful effects over time like development of diabetes and hardening of the arteries."

read some the things.

also read this.
    http://lifehacker.com/5895525/are-bananas-as-bad-for-you-as-cookies-which-foods-to-eat-to-keep-you-full-and-not-crash-later

Protein is insulinogenic as well, yet you say to ingest enough protein. But if one is worried about insulin, why not also limit protein?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

read some the things.

also read this.

Protein is insulinogenic as well, yet you say to ingest enough protein. But if one is worried about insulin, why not also limit protein?

It is all a matter of balance. If you are trying to build muscle, protein is indispensable. But if you eat too much protein, it will be converted to fat storage as well. Carbohydrates are also needed to fuel exercise. But most people get so little exercise that those carbohydrates merely contribute to high blood sugar and all of the metabolic problems that stem from that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^ troof

I'm trying to get bigger. so I am shooting for something stupid like 200+ grams of protein and 2k calories or more. You need SOMETHING to build your muscles... sugar won't do it.

And besides- if we limit all the sugars- and all the carbs... and all the proteins- what else are we supposed to eat??

I'm not saying DON"T eat it (I eat way more fruit than I should at this point)... my point is if you get plateaued or wondering why you aren't doing so well- knock the fruit down a notch or two.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ^ troof

I'm trying to get bigger. so I am shooting for something stupid like 200+ grams of protein and 2k calories or more. You need SOMETHING to build your muscles... sugar won't do it.

And besides- if we limit all the sugars- and all the carbs... and all the proteins- what else are we supposed to eat??

I'm not saying DON"T eat it (I eat way more fruit than I should at this point)... my point is if you get plateaued or wondering why you aren't doing so well- knock the fruit down a notch or two.

"sugar causes inslin spikes and that's great if you are bulking- but if you aren't- well it's going to tell your system to store."

Replace the word sugar with protein, since they are both insulinogenic. So is protein bad if you aren't bulking?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

As far as I know,Soy milk is also protein rich...I don't eat meet and fish ( first by choice and second because I really don't like it) so protein is a main concern for me..to get as much as possible and of course low carbs..

Yeah--the only problem with soy milk is that too much soy (and there is a lot of evidence that we are getting too much) is bad for the metabolism. Here is an article you might want to read: http://www.optimumchoices.com/Soy.htm

By the way, Asians eat very little raw soy--much preferring fermented soy (fermentation such as in miso and tempeh removes a lot of the toxic effects).
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Milk can be a very beneficial thing to include in your diet (along with other dairy products). Not everyone has issues with dairy products as you mentioned.

Wheat is also not bad for everyone. Some people have issues digesting it, some don't. If you don't have an issue digesting dairy products or wheat, continue to eat them. Soy, sure there is a lot of "evidence" out there that it is bad for us... however when consuming non GMO versions and keeping portions to a smaller amount, provided you have no hormonal issues you are fine. A bit of soy won't hurt you.
    [/quote]

So sorry to completely disagree with you, but if you talk to many nutritionist, and look at some very valid research on the subject: Dr. Walter Willett, MD, PhD, Harvard school of Public Health, and Dr. Mark Hyman...just to name a few. show milk is simply not important to a healthy diet. Even if you are not lactose intolerant there are other factors to limiting milk in your diet. Too much animal fat, and raising your blood sugar too quickly are but a few. Wheat, and Soy are no so genetically modified, for high yield purposes that it is not a natural food anymore. Studies have shown the body does not process it efficiently anymore. This is the reason for rise in certain allergies, and linked with leak gut issues. May I point out allergies present at all stages of life, and for different triggers. Some people have severe reactions, and some may not even know there is a problem until it is removed from the diet. I am not talking about going gluten-free b/c gluten happens in more than wheat. I am talking about the consumption of things that are difficult to break down in the body, and uses our precious resource (liver) in the wrong fashion. Non- GMO Soy is about the only exception I will make in a vegan meal, but like you said, " Non-GMO whole Soy" Again I was talking about limiting irritants that can cause your hormone levels to be thrown off so that you do not digest food to the best of your ability causing you to store toxins, and sugars as white fat around your belly. The whole idea here is to make it easier to lose weight, and not prevent you from slowing or stalling losing the weight we are trying to lose here. You and I have been here before. For every study I show you, you can find an opposing study. The food pyramid is set up by the Dept. of Agriculture {Of course they want you to eat what they promote}, and yes it is a good place for a lot of people to start, but when it comes down to it the averages they use are averages for an overweight America. We have gotten off subject of this thread which is sugars, and making better sugar choices, and for me dairy does not fall in this category. I am not saying do not have them, but limit them. There are way better options out there.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    The obesity researchers who are looking into the connection between fructose and obesity believe that it is important for obese individuals to restrict fructose (the primary sugar in fruit) to 15 grams a day. They recommend that non-obese individuals restrict their fructose to 25 grams per day. Having said that, the primary source of fructose, in the standard diet, is from eating sugary foods (sucrose, i.e. table sugar is 50% fructose) and processed foods (which virtually all contain added sugars). The amount of fructose in a can of "orange" soda is roughly equivalent to the amount of fructose in 10 oranges. It is important to remember that the fructose in fruits is encased in fiber and it is released more slowly into the bloodstream because of that. It isn't that our bodies are not capable of dealing with fructose, it is that large amounts at once seem to overwhelm the body's capacity to deal with it. Fructose is metabolized in much the same way as is alcohol, by the way. A little alcohol in one glass of wine does not harm the body (and some studies suggest it may well be beneficial). But drinking a bottle of wine overwhelms the body's ability to handle it and the deleterious effects are quite obvious rather quickly. The same is true of eating a lot of fructose in the form of sugar consumption.

I would say that a normal intake of fruit is probably quite safe (although there is some evidence that "fruitarian" diets--where nothing but fruit is eaten---are problematic). But, if you are obese and trying to lose weight, it may be wise to limit the amount of fructose to 15 grams per day. Glucose and galactose (the other two monosaccharides contained in our diets) do not seem to have the same deleterious effects as does too much fructose. Unfortunately, MFP does not have a separate tracking of fructose in the database. I calculate mine manually. :smile: Hope this has been helpful.

About to blow your mind here...

Do you know why researchers think that there is a link between sugar and obesity?

Because people have a tendency to prefer the taste of sweet above all other tastes, therefore, people will consume more calories in sugar than their bodies actually need. That doesn't mean that there is a direct link between sugar and obesity (causation). That means that there is a tendency that links sugar and obesity together (correlation). Obese people who eat sugar, eat lots of sugar. The sugar didn't make them obese, the over-consumption of sugar is what made them obese.

Yes--that is part of the picture but many researchers feel that sugar consumption itself causes an "anti-satiety" effect. Here is a link to the proceedings of a scientific conference on "food addiction". Perusing some of the papers that were presented is interesting. One of the researchers reported he and his research team were able to cause "metabolic syndrome" in a large majority of normal weight males in TWO WEEKS by supplying them with fructose-rich sodas. Granted, the amount that was consumed was larger than most people would consume in a day (and fortunately, the subjects returned to their previous conditions after the testing period). It is thought that metabolic syndrome occurs on a much larger time frame. But it is quite striking that it occurred, in this instance, in such a short period of time. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    ^ troof

"sugar causes inslin spikes and that's great if you are bulking- but if you aren't- well it's going to tell your system to store."

Replace the word sugar with protein, since they are both insulinogenic. So is protein bad if you aren't bulking?

No protein is super important for building lean muscle which helps to burn calories more effective. It is important to strength train to lose weight. More muscle = less fat, and better calorie burn, and less fat storage. {as long as you are taking in enough food to support a healthy metabolism, or your body will start storing for emergency instead of releasing the already stored fat} Yes, it is about balance. Like I said before, I eat two veggies for every one fruit. this helps to maintain balance. I have a protein at every meal and snack. I eat a carb when I need the energy (morning, and before workouts. I may throw an extra in there at lunch on cardio days)