Tips on controlling HR with running.

dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
I have my first 5k on Friday. I have been running twice a week for over a month. Last week I completed 2.5 miles without stopping to walk, but I only quit after the 2.5 miles was because my HR was getting too high - in the mid 170's. I feel like I could totally run the full 5k if my HR wouldn't get so high. Is this an endurance thing or are there any tips to keeping it lower? It seems to stay steady around 150-160 after the first mile, and then by the end of the 2nd, it's jumped to 170. My "MHR" according to calculators is 185.

And I am not running fast, about a 12 min mile.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    For the race don't worry about heartrate. If you are racing a 5K your heartrate ought to be right around max by the time you get to the finish line.

For long term training and cardiovascular development the vast majority of your runs should be at 70 to 80% max HR. This intensity promotes the physiological adaptaions that lead to running faster and longer at a lower heartrate. You may have to slow down to stay in that range. That's ok. If you train correctly you will speed up over time at the same heartrate.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    I agree with Scott on both points (HR during 5K racing and HR during training runs), but I'll say that you can't just go by the usual "rule of thumb" for figuring your max HR.

The typical 220- your age calculation (for a man that's the usual - I think it might be a little different for a woman) is just a ballpark guess and not a very good one at that. There are VERY wide variations in actual Max HR among individuals.

For me, at age 44 my Max HR would be 176, according to that formula. I know that I have, based on accurate HR Monitor readings, have a Max HR above 200 - I estimate my actual Max HR is somewhere between 205 and 210.

If I used 176 as my Max HR, my ideal training zone (70 - 80%) would be 123 - 140 BPM.

I can't even run 200 yards without my HR getting above 140.

For me, a year into my running history, I've found that my best training zone is about 150 - 175 - which is still above the 70% to 80% range, but I can and have run with an HR above 170 for 60 - 90 minutes at a time, which is enough to tell me that it isn't too high... I couldn't maintain it for that long if it was truly above a reasonable training pace.

My point in this is to say that as long as your general heart health is good, don't get too hung up on the numbers from typical max HR and training zone charts - go by how you feel.

If your HRM records the data so you can look at it later, I'd suggest trying a few runs without looking at the HRM during the run- run by feel alone. Then go back and see where your heart rate was at the times you felt you were running hard, running easily, etc. Then you can get a better feel of where your actual training zones are.

Ted
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    I went for my first run last night and my HR was at 178 the entire time I was running. I stopped to walk only when I had to catch my breath. Is it just the number you're worried about or are you having symptoms? I think as long as you feel ok it should be fine. Good luck on your race!
  • dewsmom78
    Thanks, actually there are times where I see it at 175 and I feel fine, not out of breath. And I try to control my breathing to at least get it down in the 160's. So it's more the number that gets me worried which is why I walk a few minutes to get my HR back down. My last run, I sprinted the last 2 blocks and my HR shot up to 182. So to me, my MHR should be higher than 185. I am in good health, my resting heart rate is about 55.

So I should be fine to continue running unless I start feeling very out of breath or dizzy, etc, regardless that my HR may be in the 170's? (I've never gotten to that point where I feel I'm going to pass out).

Really appreciate the feeback.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Assuming your max HR is 185, then 170 is 90% max. There is no physical problem with running all the time at that HR. However, if you want to improve your 5K time then progress will be severly limited because you are running too hard to optimally improve the cardiovascular system and because you are running so hard I expect your running volume is small which will also limit cardiovascular improvement.
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    You need to slow down, this will help your heart rate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

You don't know what you are talking about.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member

You don't know what you are talking about.

Wonderful contribution to the thread.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    A 12 minute mile is plenty fast for a new runner.

I don't wear an HRM so my heart rate might be in the 170s every time I go out for a run, for all I know. Unless you have a medical condition, you should be able to run a 5k by feel without injury. Slow down if you need to. If you have more on the table, bring it!

Other than that, make sure that most of your running is done at a speed where you can carry on a conversation, so that you can build endurance and get the most out of your running.
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    It is perfectly normal for your heartrate to increase as you run further as you are putting more effort because your body is tiring to continue to move forward at the same pace. So by your third mile, you will see your heartrate approaching peak, if not peaking. Don't forget that heat and humidity also plays a factor in your effort as well (Midday running in Florida is brutal!)

In the future, as you increase the distance that you run and build up your cardio fitness, this will cause your heartrate to remain lower for longer periods of time (you will most likely be running a little slower in the beginning as well before building your pace up).

So in short, don't sweat the heart rate! Pay more attention to comfort and pace when training.
  • dewsmom78
    It is perfectly normal for your heartrate to increase as you run further as you are putting more effort because your body is tiring to continue to move forward at the same pace. So by your third mile, you will see your heartrate approaching peak, if not peaking. Don't forget that heat and humidity also plays a factor in your effort as well (Midday running in Florida is brutal!)

In the future, as you increase the distance that you run and build up your cardio fitness, this will cause your heartrate to remain lower for longer periods of time (you will most likely be running a little slower in the beginning as well before building your pace up).

So in short, don't sweat the heart rate! Pay more attention to comfort and pace when training.

Thank you. Most of these replies have been very helpful. With all the threads on target heart and max heart rate, etc., it was making me worry when my hr was getting up so high and I didn't feel like I was running that fast to begin with. I will try to slow my pace. I will also try to fit my runs in earlier in the am when it's not too warm.