Running = knee pain?!

Options
I run 3x a week, and last weekend after my running days, my knees were killing, to the point where I couldn't walk comfortably. I got some advice suggesting things like new shoes, but my shoes are brand new, so I don't know if it's that... Anyway, I did yoga, swimming (and even a bit of cycling) over the weekend, and my knees were feeling good as new, and absolutely no pain. But, after my run this morning (which I had to cut short), my knees are sore again!!! Any ideas as to what's going on?! I run for the fitness, but if I can't run... what else should I be doing?! Help and advice would be MUCH appreciated. :)

Replies

• zombinaape
    zombinaape Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Baths with Epsom salt help my knees. Swimming laps is a super great workout. I also trade off by rollerblading! Less impact, still sweat like crazyyy!
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    It depends on where they are hurting which will help identify the issue. It could be as simple as over-training or some type of injury. Also, did you go to a running store to purchase your shoes as they fit the shoe to how you walk and the surface type that you run on? It makes a big difference.

Here is a site that can possibly help identify what could be troubling your knees: http://injuredrunner.com/.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I've answered this in the other thread so this is just a copy and paste answer below with some revisions but it's the same for the most part.

If you continue to run through your pain, it can become permanent with the only relief being surgery. Takes a real stubborn individual to destroy your legs that way though. Don't run through the pain.

Things you can do to protect your legs
    You need to build muscles in your legs. Joggers don't understand how important building muscles in the legs can be. The more muscles in your leg, the softer your landings will be. To get a better appreciation for your legs, you need to understand that your legs are dealing with around 300 pounds of pressure per leg for every impact strike when jogging. If you are running, it can be as high as 600 pounds. The number comes from Gravity multiplied by your Weight. A lot of this weight impact goes towards your knee and sometimes your shins depending on how you land. You want more of it to go towards your muscles. Build more muscles.

Never jog on hard surfaces such as concrete, as all the impact from your weight will be directed back at your legs. You need to jog on something soft to absorb some of the pressure so you'll want to jog on gravel, sand, and specially made running tracks. Neighborhood grass isn't good either. Grass on a real soccer field or golf course is very good. Dirt trails are also ideal. Treadmills are made for running too.

Last thing you can do is buy the right shoe for your type of feet depending on the size of your arch to help with the impact from landing on your foot. Just buying a "new" shoe does nothing if you purchased the wrong one. There are 3 types of arches. Link below for a better explanation of arch types.

http://munfitnessblog.com/how-to-buy-a-good-running-shoes-according-to-your-feet-arch/

Did you buy the right type of shoe?
    foot-arches-diagnosis-to-buy-running-shoes.jpg

• KarlaKennedy84
    KarlaKennedy84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    go see your GP i had the same thing and he gave me some anti inflammatries and problem solved
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was strengthening my hip and thigh muscles, which takes a lot of pressure off the knees. Sounds like perhaps you were doing some of that over the weekend with other activities, so keep it up!

If that doesn't work then see your doctor or get new shoes. Don't mess around with knee pain for too long.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree about the benefit of strength training and that having a new pair of shoes may not mean you are wearing the right shoes.

Running form may also be an issue. I started running last fall, ran my first 5k in December and my first 10k and half marathon in January (moving up in distance much faster than most advise). I have never had any knee pain

I attribute my lack of injuries or pain to my running form. Read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. There are tons of people that run hundreds of miles every month without shoes and never have any knee or back pain. If you are a heel striker a lot more pressure is put on your knees and back. Shoes with a drop from the heel to the toe make it more difficult to avoid heel striking. This is why I only wear minimalist shoes.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Thanks MinimalistShoe. Forgot about running form. :)
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks MinimalistShoe. Forgot about running form. :)

Ditto^^
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Things that can cause knee pain:

Running shoes if you've overrun their milage but you say yours are new.

Running on a slanted/sloped surface. I did this once, running high miles on the side of paved roads when I just didn't know better.

Upping milage too quickly.

Poor running form, meaning this can be caused by hard heal striking.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I run 3x a week, and last weekend after my running days, my knees were killing, to the point where I couldn't walk comfortably. I got some advice suggesting things like new shoes, but my shoes are brand new, so I don't know if it's that... Anyway, I did yoga, swimming (and even a bit of cycling) over the weekend, and my knees were feeling good as new, and absolutely no pain. But, after my run this morning (which I had to cut short), my knees are sore again!!! Any ideas as to what's going on?! I run for the fitness, but if I can't run... what else should I be doing?! Help and advice would be MUCH appreciated. :)

wait, what was the question again?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

lol. This ^
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

lol. This ^

Those activities that are bolder involve no impact to the knee. Read my post above for explanation.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

lol. This ^

Those activities that are bolder involve no impact to the knee. Read my post above for explanation.

You kind of missed the point. She is asking what else she can be doing and..... ^^^
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

"New shoes" don't mean they are the right shoes for you. Wearing a corrective shoe when you don't need one can cause problems, same with ones with extra cushioning. Were you fitted for these shoes?

I have had some pain in my knees when upping my mileage - ibuprofen and ice always helped a lot, however you shouldn't be hurting every run. DOn't take ibuprofen before a run, only after.
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running so take what I say with a grain of salt...this is just my personal experience so far. I was having a lot of pain near the end of my runs (to the point that I thought I was going to have to stop running altogether) so after each run I started taking ibuprophen and icing my knees. Worked great and me, i paced myself and if the pain was too much, I'd take a rest day. Now I run 5k 5 days a week and have no pain.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Walking puts far less stress on the knees and you can get just as fit. You can vary your speed and try walking hills to increase intensity.