Vegan Diet & Nutrition

Options
I'm a new vegan (about 9 weeks) and wanted to know the best way to get enough protein so when I run and start P90X soon I am not malnourished.

Here is my current diet for the past 2-3 weeks (I don't have the exact calories for my homemade juices so I use Nektar's), and I am always way too low on my protein intake. Some days I have tofu, but I've been juicing a lot lately in prep for bikini season! I've always been grossed out by protein shakes and powders.

ScreenShot2013-05-14at32511PM_zps7a6b6c20.png

Replies

• lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem: you're eating some silly "toxin flush" instead of real food. Find a protein shake that's made out of soy protein. Eat almond or other nut butters. Mycoprotein (mushroom protein, usually the brand Quorn) is fantastic!

Please eat real food and not just coffee and some silly other beverage. I'm vegetarian, not vegan, so its not quite as difficult (I have whey, cheese, etc) for me, but its much easier (and more filling) if you eat real food.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    Options
    Sorry-- missed the part about protein shakes and powders being a no for you. Beans, particularly chick peas are great. I love chick peas because they're so versatile (on salad, in a food processor with some veganaise, "sour supreme" (vegan sour cream) and kelp powder and you've got fake tuna! Nuts, nut butter, etc. What are you putting in your homemade juice? Why are you drinking juice instead of eating?!
  • itsCheek
    itsCheek Posts: 104
    Options
    Here's the problem: you're eating some silly "toxin flush" instead of real food. Find a protein shake that's made out of soy protein. Eat almond or other nut butters. Mycoprotein (mushroom protein, usually the brand Quorn) is fantastic!

Please eat real food and not just coffee and some silly other beverage. I'm vegetarian, not vegan, so its not quite as difficult (I have whey, cheese, etc) for me, but its much easier (and more filling) if you eat real food.

First of all, it's not "silly" and I really enjoy juicing. It's cleared up a lot of health concerns I've had and how can you say that drinking 4 apples, 1/2 a pineapple, a carrot, 1/2 cucumber, and avocado, a lemon and lime, ginger, a huge bunch of ginger and spinach and celery to not be real food? I drink the juice throughout the day, I just lump it all into my lunch category.

I do eat almond butter sometimes, but I try to stay within 1200-1600 calories a day.

Also, if you actually read the first paragraph of my post, I said I didn't know the exact calories of my juices so I just use Nektar's nutrition info for calories.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    Options

First of all, it's not "silly" and I really enjoy juicing. It's cleared up a lot of health concerns I've had and how can you say that drinking 4 apples, 1/2 a pineapple, a carrot, 1/2 cucumber, and avocado, a lemon and lime, ginger, a huge bunch of ginger and spinach and celery to not be real food? I drink the juice throughout the day, I just lump it all into my lunch category.

I do eat almond butter sometimes, but I try to stay within 1200-1600 calories a day.

Also, if you actually read the first paragraph of my post, I said I didn't know the exact calories of my juices so I just use Nektar's nutrition info for calories.

Clearly I didn't read the entire thing, which is why I wrote my second post. I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive. If you're drinking 4 apples, 1/2 pineapple, 1 carrot etc. etc. etc. then you should log 4 apples, 1/2 pineapple, 1 carrot etc. etc. etc., not some juice "cleanse" that's not going to be accurate. I wasn't being rude, I was telling you how you can get protein. If you don't want help, don't ask.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i'm not currently vegan, but was for many years and am moving back towards it. some good protein sources i use--

steel cut oats (1/4 cup) - 7 grams (soon to be doubled to 14)
    garbanzo beans (chick peas) - 7 grams
    lots of greens + tomatoes - 8 grams
    fake meats - 17 grams (this is processed, though)

however, i also eat a protein bar (usually a clif builder bar) and drink a protein shake. though i'm changing up my style soon, and you may want to look into other powders.

for example, I just bought (but haven't tried) Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Protein powder... it's supposed mix well and be flavorless (not chalky). while i understand you might not like the ones you've tried, some are truly terrible but you might be able to find one you like.

I actively avoid soy protein powders because it's too easy to get too much soy.
  • itsCheek
    Options

Clearly I didn't read the entire thing, which is why I wrote my second post. I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive. If you're drinking 4 apples, 1/2 pineapple, 1 carrot etc. etc. etc. then you should log 4 apples, 1/2 pineapple, 1 carrot etc. etc. etc., not some juice "cleanse" that's not going to be accurate. I wasn't being rude, I was telling you how you can get protein. If you don't want help, don't ask.

Actually, there IS a correct way to calculate calories when juicing, it has something to do with subtracting fiber and whatnot that is lost when juicing. I just haven't gotten around to figuring it all out yet.

Not defensive. You told me I had a "problem" so I responded.
  • itsCheek
    Options
    i'm not currently vegan, but was for many years and am moving back towards it. some good protein sources i use--

steel cut oats (1/4 cup) - 7 grams (soon to be doubled to 14)
    garbanzo beans (chick peas) - 7 grams
    lots of greens + tomatoes - 8 grams
    fake meats - 17 grams (this is processed, though)

however, i also eat a protein bar (usually a clif builder bar) and drink a protein shake. though i'm changing up my style soon, and you may want to look into other powders.

for example, I just bought (but haven't tried) Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Protein powder... it's supposed mix well and be flavorless (not chalky). while i understand you might not like the ones you've tried, some are truly terrible but you might be able to find one you like.

I actively avoid soy protein powders because it's too easy to get too much soy.

Thanks!
  • affacat
    Options
    just looked closer at your specific diet.

not sure how you eat your quinoa, but that's a great source and it goes really well with garbanzo beans. grab some organic ones and add a bunch (i eat around 150 grams of beans a day).

also, it looks like your breakfast and lunch are light on protein. might help to add something to each of those meals that's high in protein. i'd suggest some steel cut oats for breakfast. for lunch you're on your own, that's where i have my shake.

(my soon to be vegan lunch shake will have oats + pumpkin protein for a double protein hit).

ps- if you do decide to experiment with vegan powders, i personally recommend avoiding the hemp ones. they're a great source of protein but i've yet to find one i even remotely like. rice or pea protein powders have been good, but like i said, trying pumpkin now.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Get a real meal in during breakfast, for starters. You have space for an extra opportunity to take in more there.

As for sources: beans and lentils, seitan has a bunch, tofu, edamame, there is almond milk with more protein, seeds and nuts for starters.

Also, while it's great to get a bunch of fruits in each day, you can get a lot of fruit, vegetable, and protein in during lunch for fewer calories. I see that you drink it throughout the day, but if that is the case you should have that sort of thing *in addition* to a good balanced lunch.

This site: http://nutritiondata.self.com/ can be very handy. It has a tool where you can search by nutrient and what food type you want to search in. You can use it to find higher protein veggie foods to mix into your diet.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Primal Strips (the vegan beef jerky) are relatively low cal (under 100 calorie) and have about 10 grams of protein in them (depending on the one you get).
    http://www.primalspiritfoods.com/

Do you have a Trader Joe’s near you? Get the high protein super firm tofu they have. 14 grams in a 130 calorie serving (1/5 of package). I like to use that as an afternoon snack… raw tofu is so good! But, if that is not your thing, just jazz it up a little.
    http://www.mytraderjoeslist.com/2009/11/high-protein-super-firm-tofu.html
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Also, snack on seitan! You can make your own.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of tempeh, seitan, and tofu to up my protien. Edamame is high too. The fake meats - hot dogs, gardein meats, etc. are also really high without a lot of carb and fat calories. As others have said, they are processed. They are also high in sodium.

Beans, rice, quinoa have a fair amount of protien but also a lot of calories from carbs as well.

Honestly, I sometimes find that I need to drink a protien shake to boost my levels and keep within my calories. Soy, hemp, rice, and pea powders are available. I know you don't like them, though.
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    add lots of dark greens like kale, collards, spinach. if you ever do decide to do protein shakes i would suggest staying away from soy and do Sun Warrior raw protein powder (the chocolate one is best). Beans are really good and so are nuts and seeds and nut butters.
    I enjoy juicing myself and I agree that fresh juices can help with certain ailments so you don't need to give those up. I would try to stay away from processed "vegan" products. In all actuality they aren't really that good for you. Quinoa and hemp seeds are also super good. Hope that helps :)
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The key to getting enough protein when you're vegan is to make sure that you're getting complete proteins. The ones in animals are complete, the protein in plants are incomplete (don't have all of the essential aminos in them.) Some people will say you can complete proteins by certain combinations of foods (for example quinoa and beans), some people say as long as you have a variety of plant based foods in your diet you're okay. I lean more toward the combinations just to be sure.

Soy, quinoa, and spinach are complete proteins. Beans should be combined with rice or quinoa.

The Plant-Powered Diet lists high protein foods as: Almonds, Black Beans, Black-eyed peas, Brazil nuts, Cashews, Chia Seeds, Chickpeas, Fava Beans, flaxseeds, hazelnuts, hemp seeds, kidney beans, lentils, macadamia nuts, peanut butter, peanuts, pine nuts, pinto beans, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, soybeans, split peas, tofu, walnuts, white beans.

Looking at my food diary for the last week my biggest sources of protein were:
    Veggie Patch meatless buffalo wings
    Happy Planet Moroccan chickpea soup
    Black Bean Chili
    Veggie Burger
    Quinoa
    Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Cereal

Other than that I get little bits here and there from my veggies and the flaxseeds I put in my smoothies and in my baking.
  • mike667grace
    Options
    Have you checked out "Cooking With The Vegan Zombie" or "Vegan Black Metal Chef" on youtube yet? I get a heap of recipes (and laughs) between them.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    More beans and nuts! Dont forget to combine complimentary grains so you get all your 8 essential amino acids. Think beans and rice, beans and quinoa, beans and grains like pinto beans and rice, hummus and tahini, tofu and barley, soy milk and cereal.

Oh of course a good vegan multi vitamin. You might want to add a bit more iron source foods. Of course the dark greeens are great, beans, and nuts. Cooking in a cast iron pan and making sure you add a food high in vitamin C to your iron foods because plant iron is not always bioavailable but becomes more so with Vitamin C or citirc acid.

B12 a good mutlivitamin. Some say keeping your veggies a little dirty help as its a soil mircrobe that creates B12. However, I've read that the only source humans can really absorb is from animals. However, some say nutritional yeast is a good source along with fortified nut/bean milks.

Dont forget to add some lovely nut oils to your diet, sunshine, and a good fortified nut/bean milk.
  • purpler1
    purpler1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been vegetarian my whole life and recently went vegan, about 3 weeks. I cut out the milk and replaced it with almond milk, and cut out the cheese, and replaced it with nothing. I quite miss the cheese, but some people on here have recommended some excellent sources of protein already:

Chick Peas
    Beans (of any kind are usually great!) - I usually make vegan chilli with them, and I'll be trying to make black bean burger later this week, and let you know how it goes.
    Vegetables - You'd be surprised how much protein is actually in a lot of vegetables. By consuming vegetables like broccoli (or brussel sprouts, because I've noticed that if people don't like one, they like the other, and they're nutritionally equivalent,) asparagus, and cauliflower, you could get a lot more protein in during the day. If you want to you could add broccoli to your juice or even soybeans/edamame, if you like those.

I make homemade smoothies because I find it easier to get my daily recommended amount of fruits. I don't add sugar, I just blend the fruit and almond milk every morning, and I love them. It's the easiest way to consume fruits in my opinion. I would juice, but honestly you get so little juice from so much fruit that I prefer to make smoothies. (living life on a budget isn't easy, haha)

Let's see those are all the tips I have, but yes other excellent sources have been mentioned, such as the hummus and the beans. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein! (Tempeh and seitan too actually. You should check out some local vegan restaurants and see if they offer cooking classes, especially classes about "cooking with wheat protein." I think a lot of us vegans would recommend beans.

I don't consume protein powders either, but I've been considering doing so, and I found this website:

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/pump-up-your-workouts-with-vegan-protein-powder.aspx

If you decide to try them. If not, then no need, but if it makes you feel better the sources of these are all real life protein sources, such as the hemp! :)

Also, I agree with the post above me! You could blend Udo's oil into your smoothie to make sure you're getting those omega-3s. He get's them straight from the plant source!

http://udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_DHA_en.htm

Also, if you plan to do p90x, you will need energy, which unfortunately comes from carbohydrates. Try adding more complex carbs to your diet! Good luck!

Good luck! :)
  • itsCheek
    Options
    Thank you for all the great tips and websites. Just a quick note, I don't just have coffee for breakfast, as I said I just lump juice in for lunch but drink it throughout the entire day starting in the morning.
  • affacat
    Options
    However, some say nutritional yeast is a good source along with fortified nut/bean milks.

Oh, yea, totally forgot about nutritional yeast. Despite it's name, it's incredibly tasty. It's good on toast, or a bagel, and you can even make vegan mac and cheese with it. We also grind it up with nuts and make a pasta topping (sort of like shaker parm).

Super good for you. My wife was scared of it forever till i got her to try it and now she's a fiend for it. Heck, our cat likes to lick it up off the plate too.