Eating Healthy On the Run

Options
rleath
rleath Posts: 35 Member
I have a pretty hectic life, like I know a lot of people do, so it's so hard to be motivated to come home and cook healthy when I get off work sometimes pretty late. I've been going back and forth on this weight-loss roller coaster for years and I'm just coming to the point of frustration and I know now is the time to really commit to this fully. How do you keep motivated with all the surrounding hurdles? Any suggestions for quick and easy meals that I can pre-prep?

Replies

• Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tend to cook on sunday for the week (5 days). Eating more or less the same items daily. I don't mind, it taste good and helps me lose the weight. (Grilled chicken, turkey meatballs, regular meatballs, fishes..)

I'm one of the few that enjoy a cheat meal on the sunday just to "revive" my taste buds.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the quick meals idea, but it helps to do a meal plan. Know what you're going to cook each week, including how many servings it will be because then you know how much you'll have for leftovers for lunches. This will also help you keep on track when trying to count calories. You'll be less likely to say, "Well I don't know what to make so I'll just order a pizza" or something to that effect. I've also found that meal planning has helped me cut down my grocery bill. I only buy what I need and don't buy a bunch of extra "munchies" or throw away a bunch of stuff because it goes bad before I can use it.
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I make a week's worth of salad at once and divy them up into portable containers. I also portion out my dressing in to-go cups. I do the same thing with my snacks.

For dinners, I usually defrost my meat or fish the night before and I utilize frozen veggies. When I come home, I just throw everything into a pan, season, shove it in the oven, and either bake or broil for half an hour while I do something else.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I tend to make a lot of freezable recipes on a weekend that I then only need to heat up on an evening making it really quick and easy. My food diary blog - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com - might give us some ideas :)

Ax
  • uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    How quick is fast enough? Under 20 minutes or less than 5? Can you leave a crock pot and and freeze your leftovers?
    Hungry Girl has some under 5 minute recipes.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't eat while running. Could easily choke lol
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You have to look up my MFPal @Jenaesmith (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jenaesmith) - she travels, like, 25 days out of 30 or something ridiculous and manages to work out and eat exactly as she intends. She inspires me.
  • celinarae94
    celinarae94 Posts: 131
    Options
    If you're looking for snacks cut up some celery/carrots and put them in a container and get those small tupperware containers and put something like hummus in them (celery and roasted red pepper hummus make a great snack)
    As for meals make up a salad ahead of time and put it in a container with a lid so it won't brown. You can do the same with a lot of stuff like chicken salad, light pasta salads (ones that are made with a couple table spoons of olive oil and spices/garlic) and throw them in the fridge in containers for the next day or two.
    If you are really into cooking when you have time make healthy homemade soups and freeze them into individual servings so you can hurry up and heat them up when its time to eat them.
    I also like to buy whole watermelons and cut them up and put them into tupperware containers.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you're on Pinterest, there are TONS of recipes for make-ahead meals that you can just throw into a crockpot. As for snacks, I usually fill a couple tupperware containers with portioned snacks (peanuts and dark chocolate chips, sliced apples and peanut butter, etc) the night before I'll want/need them. And on the lid I usually stick a piece of tape and write how many calories it contains.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    I tend to cook on sunday for the week (5 days). Eating more or less the same items daily. I don't mind, it taste good and helps me lose the weight. (Grilled chicken, turkey meatballs, regular meatballs, fishes..)

I'm one of the few that enjoy a cheat meal on the sunday just to "revive" my taste buds.

This is exactly how I do it! Amen!
  • rleath
    Options
    I'll definitely have to stock up on all my "make-ahead" recipes and just keep it simple!

Thanks so much for all the advice!
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I make a week's worth of salad at once and divy them up into portable containers. I also portion out my dressing in to-go cups. I do the same thing with my snacks.

How do you keep the salad from going bad? I made a large (almost to large!) one for a ladies banquet I went to on Satuday. (It was potluck style). I brought most of it home. I do have the Tupperwear fridge smart containers and I put it in the largest one I had that is for fruits and veggies. It's already going bad and I need to toss it. :( I was able to eat some Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, but now I need to get rid of it. I normally buy them sperately (this was a kit with a couple more veggies added in) and store them seperately, so I don't have this problem (with the exception of lettuce! I never can seem to get that to last as long as the other veggies for my salad!)
  • rleath
    Options

How do you keep the salad from going bad? I made a large (almost to large!) one for a ladies banquet I went to on Satuday. (It was potluck style). I brought most of it home. I do have the Tupperwear fridge smart containers and I put it in the largest one I had that is for fruits and veggies. It's already going bad and I need to toss it. :( I was able to eat some Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, but now I need to get rid of it. I normally buy them sperately (this was a kit with a couple more veggies added in) and store them seperately, so I don't have this problem (with the exception of lettuce! I never can seem to get that to last as long as the other veggies for my salad!)

I saw this on Daily Muse thru Pinterest that I'm going to try http://www.thedailymuse.com/health/the-best-new-way-to-bring-your-lunch/ ... I think this will be great because I eat a lot at my desk nowadays!
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I saw this on Daily Muse thru Pinterest that I'm going to try http://www.thedailymuse.com/health/the-best-new-way-to-bring-your-lunch/ ... I think this will be great because I eat a lot at my desk nowadays!

I will have to try that! Thanks! (Though next time I take a salad to a potluck, I learned my lesson...take a smaller one!. There was so many salads there, I think that's why I brought home so much!)