Let's make it... Fabulous in our 40's!!!

Options
Gigsluvscw
Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
My very first post! :smile: Wishing everyone luck on this crazy, sometimes frustrating, but in the long run rewarding (and staying that way this time) journey we are all on together. Looking for those in their 40's so we may be able to relate a little better to what's happening to our bodies and all the external factors and distractions (spouses, relatively same age children/stepchildren, family, work, etc.) that come along with this time in our lives. Would love to be added to your Friends List.

Replies

• DaveInSoCal
    DaveInSoCal Posts: 12
    Options
    Aw man! I'm 50 now... Just missed this one
  • Gigsluvscw
    Options
    Lol... All are welcome.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and in the best shape of my life.... although still a long way to go, but I am very motivated to reach my goals. I make no excuses, have a busy lifestyle and 4 kids and some health issues but will do literally whatever it takes to get this done!
    40's are no barrier to being where you want to be physically!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Options
    I love your last sentence and couldn't agree more!
  • jorobkenne
    jorobkenne Posts: 1
    Options
    I am about to turn 45, and have a 3 year old. I had dramatic baby weight loss, but it has all crept back on again. I have signed up for WW so many times I have stopped counting, and finally last week took a good hard look at myself and took a deep breath and got on the scales and almost threw up. I want to be a good example for my daughter so here I am. Two days in and struggling as I am hungry as I adjust to the reduction in calories, but feeling more energy and less sluggish in the morning.

My biggest problem is exercise - just fitting it in. I work full time - leaving the house at 6.30am and not getting home until close to 6pm. I do walk at least 30-40 minutes a day (walking to and from the train) and try to walk the dog for at least 20 minutes after the little one is in bed.....My primary focus when get home is my daughter, but by the time she goes to bed I am not ready to hit a gym or yoga class. Any hints?
  • scferreri
    scferreri Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! I am in my 40's with 5 children. My oldest 15 and a sophmore in high school, 13 going to be an eigth grader, a 9 yd old who will be 4th grade, a 4 year old who will be PRe_K and a 2 year old. I am busy every day. I hate taking time away from my family that is part of the reason I ended up at the size I am. I have made the decision though to start to give up part of my time with them now, especially the girls to have a lot more time with them later in life.

I am writing a blog on here which is helping me to organize my thoughts and goals. If you were to read it I had been making changes and logging for several weeks before I would even face what the number was on the numerical beast.

Keep u the work. You are doing a great job. Starting is ALWAYS the hardest.
  • Gigsluvscw
    Options
    Sounds like you're off to a great start (getting in around an hour of walking per day). I don't have any young children, but the first thought that popped into my head when you said that your primary focus was getting home to your daughter and any hints was exercises you can do WITH your daughter. I know I've seen articles/stories on TV with women on their back using their child as the "resistance". In fact I just went to my computers search engine and typed in "Exercises you can do with your baby" and got all kinds of options. You get some resistant training and she gets to "play" with Mommy!!! :happy: Also, maybe throw your question out on another thread. You may get some other ideas. It's a great question I know a lot of others struggle with also. Hang in there, you're doing great!!!
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    Isn't the Forties the new twenties?

Pretty active on here and feel free to add.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 with grown step children and divorced but I can relate to the rest and I work with children. Does that all count? lol I'm maintaining and have been for a long time. Sending FR now :)
  • kevinpruitt
    kevinpruitt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    41 here. I have a 2 yr old daughter who I know I will have to keep up with as she gets older, plus I want to be around for her a long long time. Gah losing weight seemed so much easier in my twenties.
  • mikester66
    mikester66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Turned 47 in April
  • jimtryingtoslim
    jimtryingtoslim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Any of you can add me. I'm 42 years old about 20kg over weight. I have a fantastic family of wife + three awesome kids aged 10, 8 & 5. PLease feel free to add me any one.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i'm 41 and am actually loving it. I'll send you a friend request. Getting fit is a lot easier with friends.
  • RPric1
    RPric1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm 52. The body is interesting, all the changes. My face got narrower about age 36. Everything is kind of rearranged..and every few years I seem different. Even so my weight is about where it was my senior year of high school. My lower weight was at age 42. 122 lbs (5'5") , now I'm slightly heavier than my wedding day at 137. I have exercised regularly for years now, so I think I have more muscle mass, also have more abd fat, however I heard that helps me retain some estrogen for the menopausal year. I'd like to get below 130 and stay there.
  • Pamella513
    Pamella513 Posts: 72
    Options
    I just turned 42 yesterday!!!!! Whooo Hooo. Mom to a 15 year old and a 13 year old. Working hard on my goals. Just reached my first 10 lb goal today!!!! Onto the next 10. Sent you an add.
  • tlm0403
    tlm0403 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I am 43 years old and have a 14 year old daughter and a 12 year old son. I lost weight when I started running 2 years ago, but have never gotten to where I need to be. I had lost about 22 pounds prior to joining MFP. Now I need to get the rest off. I don't know the exact number yet, but just feel too flabby yet!
  • kimconrad
    kimconrad Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm 44 and getting myself back into shape. I've been using MFP for over a year, and started running again in August 2012 (hadn't run long distance since junior high). I quit smoking when I started running and have maintained my goal weight of 125-130 (AWESOME if I do say so myself!!). Right now, I'm concentrating on toning up and decreasing my body fat percentage. I run a lot of 5Ks and have started training for my first half marathon schedued at the end of August 2013. Thought that would be a great way to celebrate my one-year anniversary of running.

I have three kids . . . two daughters ages 25 and 20. The eldest is a math/english teacher at a local high school and the younger is a sailor in the Navy's nuclear enginering program. My 17-year-old son is still at home and will be a senior in high school next year. He's a year-round athlete, so he keeps us hopping. I've been married to my wonderful husband for 26 years at the end of May.

This time of my life is the best so far. I feel like I'm still young enough to be highly active, but mature enough to know when enough is enough. I hope I contine with this full life and will be physically/mentally/spiritually fit to head into my 50's in a few years with my feet running when they hit the ground. Feel free to add me as a friend. I try to be encouraging when I see a friend not check in for a which, and appreciate the encouragement myself when I need it. :)
  • knoakes68
    knoakes68 Posts: 4
    Options
    Just about to turn 45 , have lost 55lb since last summer and working out everyday , sometimes twice , almost in the best shape of my life and hopefully not to far away from feeling that way
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Isn't the Forties the new twenties?

Pretty active on here and feel free to add.

I concur!!! I feel better now than I did in my twenties!
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 in just under 3 weeks. I am working towards been fit fabulous and forty.