Lift light or lift heavy? Lift smart!

Options

Replies

• Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    That's funny because NROLFW (along with ALL of their other books) claim the exact opposite (also with research to back them).

I'm done wasting my time here.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    That's funny because NROLFW (along with ALL of their other books) claim the exact opposite (also with research to back them).

A lot of the times there are fads to make money. They are making money off you.

Also, if you read what they say, their basic premise is that strength training, not cardio is the key to fitness. I propose that both have a role to play. Nobody ever said that strength training is not part of the equation, but only what constitutes strength training.

It goes like this: they make up a story in their marketing material to rile you up such as: anybody who said women were fragile or weak is so wrong.....

when you read that, your reaction is, i will show them emmer effers, how i am not weak, click to buy the book, hook and sinker.

If you want to get in shape and live a healthy life, you need a mix of cardio and strength training and you do not need to lift very heavy.

Why am I talking about this?

On my FL, there was a woman who was over training with very heavy weights. Her reason? that MFP tells her to lift heavy. I think this is an unhealthy outcome. people should build their strengths up to lifting heavy.

In any case, just based on physical fitness, the majority of attractive female bodies on here or in real life are not lifting too heavy. most are targeting 10-15 rep range, and looking great doing it.

But for some this is about empowerment. and if someone says, you can also get the same results with reasonable weights, it is deemed an attack on the womanhood. that is a reflection of our society.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

In any case, just based on physical fitness, the majority of attractive female bodies on here or in real life are not lifting too heavy. most are targeting 10-15 rep range, and looking great doing it.

I just barfed in my mouth. I guess I can consider that an NSV cuz it lowered my calorie intake for the day.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

But for some this is about empowerment. and if someone says, you can also get the same results with reasonable weights, it is deemed an attack on the womanhood. that is a reflection of our society.

oh for pete's sakes. Now you really deserve a smack in the face. This didn't have anything to do with "womanhood" until your post about women's bodies here. This was about muscle gains and weight lifting.

You are a real piece of work.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options

I wouldn't put too much stock in any book or resource that charges money for their literature. The fitness industry is just like any other business in that their main interest is to extract revenue from the consumer. I'm not saying that their methods are wrong, but I am saying their methods aren't exactly exclusive and aren't guaranteed to work. Did you get a money back guarantee with that book?

There's certainly a lot of snake oil in the fitness industry so you have to take in information from multiple sources and experiment to find what really works. And people who have experience is one of those resources. People have been building great physiques since the 1920s and 30s without the use of books, exercise programs or supplements. Most of it has been through experimentation and sharing of knowledge and technique. It's silly to expect a single book or DVD workout set has all the answers.

The best approach is to have multiple approaches. Why would you wanna train for strength all the time anyways?
  • NormInv
    Options

I wouldn't put too much stock in any book or resource that charges money for their literature. The fitness industry is just like any other business in that their main interest is to extract revenue from the consumer. I'm not saying that their methods are wrong, but I am saying their methods aren't exactly exclusive and aren't guaranteed to work. Did you get a money back guarantee with that book?

There's certainly a lot of snake oil in the fitness industry so you have to take in information from multiple sources and experiment to find what really works. And people who have experience is one of those resources. People have been building great physiques since the 1920s and 30s without the use of books, exercise programs or supplements. Most of it has been through experimentation and sharing of knowledge and technique. It's silly to expect a single book or DVD workout set has all the answers.

The best approach is to have multiple approaches. Why would you wanna train for strength all the time anyways?

Perfect. no homo.

As a general rule of thumb, when people get all riled up about something, they are really fighting hard to justify their own stance to themselves.

It is evident in the dialogue.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    wow.

This thread goes down in history as the dumbest **** I have ever seen on MFP.

and that's saying a lot.
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    noobs.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Woops--looks like someone took on the heavy lifts orthodoxy? Kind of like questioning creation theory in Kansas or denouncing the Koran in Egypt...

A lot of women are convinced that low reps at heavy weights (say 5x5) is the *only* way to go. It's a black-white universe where only two kinds of weight-training exist (1) Something Mr. T would do (2) Something in the Olivia Newton John "Let's Get Physical" video.

In other words, it's a logical fallacy--setting up a false dilemma. (Defended, by some posters, with another logical fallacy--attacking the speaker. You're lucky no one has pulled out Reductio Ad Gif Librarium yet though I'm sure that's on its way).

Can't tell you how many back injuries I've seen on here from folks doing 5x5 deadlifts...or 4x3, 3x2 etc.

You have ignited a Jihad!
  • NormInv
    Options
    noobs.

I think we are in agreement for the most part. My initial assertion I made last night was, fewer reps for size and strength and higher reps for toning, but that was shot down. In my research today I went with a more neutral position that says, both are good, instead of one is evil. So we are on the same wavelength bro.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    ...but its just advice. You can do whatever the *kitten* you wanna do!

2zrl575.jpg
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    People complicate things too much. Focus on progressive overload. Eat in a caloric surplus and you are set. I think it's better to add a mixture of "strength" and "hypertrophy" workouts although I do think they work together.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Woops--looks like someone took on the heavy lifts orthodoxy? Kind of like questioning creation theory in Kansas or denouncing the Koran in Egypt...

A lot of women are convinced that low reps at heavy weights (say 5x5) is the *only* way to go. It's a black-white universe where only two kinds of weight-training exist (1) Something Mr. T would do (2) Something in the Olivia Newton John "Let's Get Physical" video.

In other words, it's a logical fallacy--setting up a false dilemma. (Defended, by some posters, with another logical fallacy--attacking the speaker. You're lucky no one has pulled out Reductio Ad Gif Librarium yet though I'm sure that's on its way).

Can't tell you how many back injuries I've seen on here from folks doing 5x5 deadlifts...or 4x3, 3x2 etc.

You have ignited a Jihad!

thank you thank you thank you. I love you. no homo.

I started this movement because someone on my FL is actually over training with risk of injury for her age (40s). There is a lot of misinformation on here.

Women should not be afraid to follow well established workouts without thinking they are noobs or inefficient at it.

Heck at my gym, tons of muscular guys are lifting 25lbs with higher reps.
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    noobs.

I think we are in agreement for the most part. My initial assertion I made last night was, fewer reps for size and strength and higher reps for toning, but that was shot down. In my research today I went with a more neutral position that says, both are good, instead of one is evil. So we are on the same wavelength bro.

no not you, just the overall fact that people make lifting much harder than it is.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i agree that either types of training are useful, and even if the person prefers lifting heavy, or their goals require heavy lifting, we all need to adjust the rep ranges, weights, sometimes.

personally though. i want my workout to be described as brutal, destroyed x muscles, and know that i put everything i could
    into the workout, not necessarily that i will or not get doms the next day, but i want to feel my muscles working while i'm doing the exercise.

my third lifting cycle is in a couple of months, and my friend who's doing the same routine, warned me that it's going to be brutal.
    well the whole point of this is to challenge my body. using cardio and medium weights just wasn't doing that.
    Heavy is the only way i'm getting challenged, my fat loss along the way is just a bonus.
    I'll still want to continue training, getting stronger, fitter years from now.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    i do linear periodization. 12-8 reps.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    Progressive overload.
  • NormInv
    Options
    i agree that either types of training are useful, and even if the person prefers lifting heavy, or their goals require heavy lifting, we all need to adjust the rep ranges, weights, sometimes.

personally though. i want my workout to be described as brutal, destroyed x muscles, and know that i put everything i could
    into the workout, not necessarily that i will or not get doms the next day, but i want to feel my muscles working while i'm doing the exercise.

my third lifting cycle is in a couple of months, and my friend who's doing the same routine, warned me that it's going to be brutal.
    well the whole point of this is to challenge my body. using cardio and medium weights just wasn't doing that.
    Heavy is the only way i'm getting challenged, my fat loss along the way is just a bonus.
    I'll still want to continue training, getting stronger, fitter years from now.

thats great katy and if you can lift heavy by all means. but most of us do not get there over night. so it is perfectly ok to start at a lower weight with higher reps to fatigue. that along with good food intake will help build muscle and then you can graduate to higher weights.

but to say heavy weights is the only way, really does a disservice to a lot of women (and men) on here.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Just dummy up and lift the weight
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i said way at the beginning both are needed.

and i'm not lifting heavy yet. i'm doing the all pro beginner,so 8-12 reps @ 10 rep max
    there are days i would give my arm for a squat rack, so i can do
    challenging squats, but in time it will happen.