Will one diet soda be ok to drink a day?

Options
borichfan
borichfan Posts: 208 Member
I cut out my sodas 3 1/2 months ago, I quit cold turkey. Reason for this, I was experiencing leg pain, & I read articles online that caffeine & artificial sugar in diet sodas was the cause of this kind of pain I was having. So I cut out diet sodas & switched my coffee to decafinated coffee. Since then, even tho I did alright not missing my diet sodas, I have noticed that not having any caffeine each day was causing me to get very lazy & sleepy in the afternoons each day. I drive a school bus & I was getting so sleepy on the bus in the afternoons, I was just really tired & sluggish & sleepy and could not function. I was missing children's stops & stuff on the bus, it was very scary how sleepy I was getting on the bus.
I decided I had to do something about it, before I fell asleep at the wheel of the bus, so I decided that I will have one diet soda a day & drink it just before I get on the bus in the afternoons. Today was the first time doing that, & I feel good, I felt awake & alert on the bus.
I am ok with the decaffeinated coffee, but I may need one diet soda a day to keep me away on the bus. Will that be ok?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nooo don't do it. Have a cup of tea or something!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Yes. Do it if you want to.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Drink it if you like it and it helps you.

Nothing wrong with drinking diet pop. Don't listen to all the people who are going to jump in and tell you how it causes cancer, it damages your body, it's full of sodium, it's terrible for you, etc etc.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not? I'd try to limit the aspartame though.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yep I drink atleast 2 a day... hasn't hurt my progress..... :drinker:
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    Doesn't sound too bad. But if it's caffeine you're looking for you can try tea; much healthier option.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it will cause any problem for you to have one diet sods per day. However I think it is a BIG problem that you are getting sleepy while driving a bus full of children! That is a disaster waiting to happen. Do what you need to do to be awake and alert while driving or find another job. I am sorry if that seems harsh, but I think that you need to get your priorities in order.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine! Enjoy your soda.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    No, but if you mix in raspberry ketones that is OK ...
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This post terrifies me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned with 1 diet soda per day.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I cut out my sodas 3 1/2 months ago, I quit cold turkey. Reason for this, I was experiencing leg pain, & I read articles online that caffeine & artificial sugar in diet sodas was the cause of this kind of pain I was having. So I cut out diet sodas & switched my coffee to decafinated coffee. Since then, even tho I did alright not missing my diet sodas, I have noticed that not having any caffeine each day was causing me to get very lazy & sleepy in the afternoons each day. I drive a school bus & I was getting so sleepy on the bus in the afternoons, I was just really tired & sluggish & sleepy and could not function. I was missing children's stops & stuff on the bus, it was very scary how sleepy I was getting on the bus.
    I decided I had to do something about it, before I fell asleep at the wheel of the bus, so I decided that I will have one diet soda a day & drink it just before I get on the bus in the afternoons. Today was the first time doing that, & I feel good, I felt awake & alert on the bus.
    I am ok with the decaffeinated coffee, but I may need one diet soda a day to keep me away on the bus. Will that be ok?

If you're really that tired that you're putting children's lives at risk I think you need to see a doctor instead of worrying about the caffeine/chemicals from 1 diet soda.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No there are reports that diet soda causes cancer. Let me just check in my looney files to find em...
  • Kramerismycat
    Kramerismycat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda almost every day and it hasn't hurt my progress.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    No there are reports that diet soda causes cancer. Let me just check in my looney files to find em...
    oh *kitten* this one made me LOL ..freaking looney files...hilarious!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Did you answer the question you had about your leg pain? Did it stop after you stopped drinking the sodas? The phosphoric acid in sodas can leach calcium out of your bones and cause leg pain. I don't know if this was the reason or not.

Did your leg pain stop? That's the more important question to ask. There are other sources of caffeine (along with Vit C and B vitamin drinks) to get your energy levels up.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    I think you're going to be perfectly fine. 7 Diet soda's a week is hardly anything.

I drink 3 coffees a day and several Diet Cokes a week and I'm still around. Healthy as a horse too.

They make caffeine free 5 hour energy, not sure what's in that but I bet you could get a natural energy suppement at a place like whole foods too if you feel really uncomfortable about soda...

If it came down to crashing a bus full or children and the evils of soda the latter would certainly be the easier choice

I mean Dr. Oz might disagree with me tho and we all know he knows everything
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think you're going to be perfectly fine. 7 Diet soda's a week is hardly anything.

I drink 3 coffees a day and several Diet Cokes a week and I'm still around. Healthy as a horse too.

They make caffeine free 5 hour energy, not sure what's in that but I bet you could get a natural energy suppement at a place like whole foods too if you feel really uncomfortable about soda...

If it came down to crashing a bus full or children and the evils of soda the latter would certainly be the easier choice

I mean Dr. Oz might disagree with me tho and we all know he knows everything
    if you are not drinking ketones with your caffeine then the toxins will not be properly cleansed from your system...
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You might want to talk to your doc about it, it's more likely that you have a blood sugar issue. B-12 is a good source of energy too. Seriously, talk to your doc. And maybe don't drive a bus while you're figuring out what's wrong.