Breastfeeding and exercising

Options
Ok so I am breastfeding exclusively and I have set my caloric intake to 1700. I am noticing that 1700 is not doing it, I am constantly hungry and I know that I have to eat when I am hungry but at the same time I do not want to overeat. Are there any other mothers breastfeeding and working out who can tell me what they have their caloric intake set to and how they are doing with it?

Replies

• MamaBiehl
    MamaBiehl Posts: 2
    Options
    I have read you need an extra 200-300 calories per day for nursing. I nurse a toddler and my calories are set at 1290 if I don't work out...but I work out so I usually end up eating around 1800 day -- and I feel full. But when I eat 1800, I usually am burning 700 or more with exercise (walking, jogging, pilates, etc.). Don't know if that helps, but like you said, eat if you are hungry...just choose good foods -- fruits, oatmeal, vegetables..don't let your extra calories be empty (like sweets). I also find eating high protein foods keeps me fuller longer.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    hi mama! My numbers are going to be a little different, because my "nursling" is 2 and not BFing exclusively.
    I do follow the "eat more to lose" theory, so my goal is about 1700. I do add 200 more calories because I'm nursing so I aim to hit 1900-2000 each day. I work out 5x a week and burn about 300-500 each day, depending if it's running or weights.

If you are nursing a newborn, you want to add 500 calories on top of your daily allowance. You need to eat enough to make milk. If you baby if young, you may sacrifice your milk supply if you eat too little.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't have a baby but I do know there is an option in the food database to add nursing to your food diary to give you the additional calories you need to produce milk into your daily goal if that helps.
  • lifeisgoodwith4
    lifeisgoodwith4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1800 if I don't exercise. I add back in exercise calories and use most of them. And really up my water. Usually 10-11 cups a day.
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    1800 if I don't exercise. I add back in exercise calories and use most of them. And really up my water. Usually 10-11 cups a day.

Ok yea i need to up my water
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    I don't have a baby but I do know there is an option in the food database to add nursing to your food diary to give you the additional calories you need to produce milk into your daily goal if that helps.
    where is it?
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    hi mama! My numbers are going to be a little different, because my "nursling" is 2 and not BFing exclusively.
    I do follow the "eat more to lose" theory, so my goal is about 1700. I do add 200 more calories because I'm nursing so I aim to hit 1900-2000 each day. I work out 5x a week and burn about 300-500 each day, depending if it's running or weights.

If you are nursing a newborn, you want to add 500 calories on top of your daily allowance. You need to eat enough to make milk. If you baby if young, you may sacrifice your milk supply if you eat too little.

ok i burn about 300-700 calories a day and yes my baby is 7 weeks old
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    where is it?

You need to add it in the food data base (it's not listed under exercise).

I didn't diet when I was breastfeeding. I ate a lot, healthy and I exercised.
  • cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I cosign this.

My LO is 18 mo and we still nurse a lot, including overnight. My goal for maintenance is 1890 cal/day. I'm 5'10" 137. I don't specifically count my BF calories, though.

Incidentally, I'm always looking for healthy mom friends! I jog with my LO and we walk a lot. MFP alone has been a huge support in getting back into shape.
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    I have read you need an extra 200-300 calories per day for nursing. I nurse a toddler and my calories are set at 1290 if I don't work out...but I work out so I usually end up eating around 1800 day -- and I feel full. But when I eat 1800, I usually am burning 700 or more with exercise (walking, jogging, pilates, etc.). Don't know if that helps, but like you said, eat if you are hungry...just choose good foods -- fruits, oatmeal, vegetables..don't let your extra calories be empty (like sweets). I also find eating high protein foods keeps me fuller longer.

Thanks for your response. yes i need to change some of the things i eat so i can stay fuller
  • PollyArmory
    PollyArmory Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You enter it in as a food, but instead of adding calories it "adds" negative calories. Just search for "breastfeeding"
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So when my baby was young, I ate 2000 cals and also drank a full calorie Gatorade after every workout (on top of an already high water intake). That was the only way I could keep up my supply, but I lost very slowly. The weight came off MUCH faster after my daughter started on solids at about 9 months. Now she is 16 months old and I am still bfing several times a day and through the night but I can safely cut at 1800 cals and no Gatorade. It also depends on where you live, I am in the desert and lots of moms lose their supply when it gets hot!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    where is it?

Go into your food diary and under the search type in nursing. It should come up breast feeding exclusively nursing or something to that extent.
  • cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I know it can be hard, but dont rush. It took you 9 mo to put on baby weight. :glasses:
  • MamaBiehl
    MamaBiehl Posts: 2
    Options
    oh yeah, I second the water thing!
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    You enter it in as a food, but instead of adding calories it "adds" negative calories. Just search for "breastfeeding"

ok thanks a bunch
  • csimmons0914
    Options

I know it can be hard, but dont rush. It took you 9 mo to put on baby weight. :glasses:

yea i know. i am one pound lower than my pre pregnancy weight and i am very happy with my shape and size. i just dont want to loose it.
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    So when my baby was young, I ate 2000 cals and also drank a full calorie Gatorade after every workout (on top of an already high water intake). That was the only way I could keep up my supply, but I lost very slowly. The weight came off MUCH faster after my daughter started on solids at about 9 months. Now she is 16 months old and I am still bfing several times a day and through the night but I can safely cut at 1800 cals and no Gatorade. It also depends on where you live, I am in the desert and lots of moms lose their supply when it gets hot!

ok wow. yea i think i am definitely going to up my calory intake
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough protein?
    I know when I beastfed constantly, I was ALWAYS (alllllllwaaaaaaaaayyyyss!!!) hungry. Still am actually and my son is 27 months.
    eating more protein helped keep me fuller longer. and yes! to the water thing. more water means more breastmilk

congrats on the new blessing BTW :)
  • csimmons0914
    Options
    are you eating enough protein?
    I know when I beastfed constantly, I was ALWAYS (alllllllwaaaaaaaaayyyyss!!!) hungry. Still am actually and my son is 27 months.
    eating more protein helped keep me fuller longer. and yes! to the water thing. more water means more breastmilk

congrats on the new blessing BTW :)

I may not be. Honestly the first meal i have during the day is always between 12 pm and 2 pm. Then i may have a snack then eat dinner around 7 8 pm. The i usually eat something around 11pm/midnight cause baby doesnt usuallt go to sleep till about 1-2 am. so i may need to eat more protein. I onlt have 3 pounds to loose, but i just dont want to overeat either.