Ladies with PCOS success stories!

Options

Replies

• SmashWhite85
    SmashWhite85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about the added lower belly fat being a side effect of PCOS until looking into it today. I feel like I understand so much more about my body and shape, now... Wow.

Looking for motivated friends! :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    you can do it. dont expect miracles be happy with the small loses. In general, I eat slightly less carbs about 40-50%, portion control, and dont drink anything with calories (besides alcohol).
  • nooraltareif
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I got diagnosed when I was 15 but have struggled with my weight since I was about 9. It gave me the push to lose about 14lbs but then i yo-yo'd for a couple of years. Now I'm 20 and completely determined that this time will be the last time. I've been leading a healthier lifestyle with MFP for 2 and a half months and have lost 16 lbs. I've been watching my sugar because I'm insulin resistant but I still have 1-2 squares of dark chocolate almost every day and it's been working well. Some tactics that people without PCOS use to lose weight don't work for me, for example when I first started eating clean and exercising I found that I was burning off too many calories through exercise to the point where I couldn't eat enough to get out of starvation mode and lose weight. Lots of people I know compensated by having one cheat meal a week that shocks your metabolism. I tried that once right at the beginning and had a disaster where I had to work off all the weight I'd gained for the next week. So I think it's definitely harder for me and I have a tendency to put on fat very easily but I don't let it stop me. The upside is that while I can't have a massive treat meal, I can have very regular little treats because they don't adversely affect my weight loss. I tend to stick to dark chocolate and it works for me. As long as I keep an eye on my sugar I'm okay and feel so much better in myself for eating healthily, working out and losing weight! I have another 24 lbs to lose to get where I want to be but through my weight loss so far I'm almost symptom free which I'm very happy about.
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. It sucks. It's a struggle to lose weight, but the best thing I found is to count carbs and eat every few hours during the day. As long as the insulin stays in check, the weight is easier to come off, for me. I have tried EVERYTHING else. Counting calories alone, fad diets, pills, etc, countless hours at the gym. It wasn't until I was pregnant (after 4 years of trying) that I found out I had gestational diabetes and had to carb count. Weight started to fall off of me (and I didn't think I ate bad at all, even when pregnant) and I realized if this works while pregnant, it will work when not! Lost 30 pounds the year after I had my son with carb counting alone. Got off track, gained about 10 back, but now I'm here, counting carbs and calories and exercising 6 days a week!

(feel free to add me for support!)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm also a PCOS'er, with insulin resistance and hypothyroidism to boot. Probably the "perfect storm". Sigh.

It certainly does make losing weight extremely difficult, but as others have said, it's not impossible... it just takes a bit of extra hard work and patience (we often lose more slowly than most people).

For years I tried "eating less, moving more" - I counted every single morsel that went into my mouth, and exercised for hours at a time, daily. The result? I kept gaining weight, especially in my belly area. My doctor and I were confused, and I was so discouraged!

The only thing I've found that works for me personally is to keep my carbs considerably low <--- this is especially true if you have insulin resistance. Coupled with portion control and regular daily exercise (especially HIIT), I'm *finally* seeing results. Of course, it's not easy, because I *love* whole grains - but I've realized my body can't process them as they should be. I treat it like a food allergy because, in a way, it is. People with insulin resistance, including most women with PCOS, have a reduced capacity to tolerate carbohydrates.

PCOS is a syndrome and so it will affect everyone differently. Some women with PCOS don't have weight issues, while others do. You can have PCOS without having insulin resistance as well. Keep in mind, what works for someone else may not work for you. Also good to know that there are 5 different types of PCOS, each with it's own 'hallmark': http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php/129677-5-Types-of-PCOS

I hope you find what works for you and find success! :-)
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Its definitely a struggle but I've managed to lose almost 80lbs! add me if you want :)
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS. I was just recently diagnosed and am 40 but it sure explains why I have always had problems losing weight. I went to a nutritionist and have had success over the the last 4 weeks. I do find that really limiting my carbs is a big key. Like someone else said I try to stick to no more than 100 in a day and 120 max. Because I also don't have a thyroid (it was removed 8 years ago because of cancer) I have a double whammy as my metobolism does not work right so I have to be very careful with my calories as well. I try to stay around 1200 in a day and if I go over or no I am going to well then I have to make sure I get my butt up and exercise.

I am finding it is possible but I have to be very diligent and if I do slip I have to not let myself give up like I have in the past and get back on the horse the next day. I hate exercising so am really trying to find some methods I like as well as join some sports.
  • daniellebstcyr
    Options
    I have PCOS, and I have found that my body very easily slips into starvation mode if I don't eat small meals/snacks throughout the day to keep my blood sugar regulated. This has the added benefit of keeping me feeling full, since I can almost always eat when I am hungry, not when the clock tells me to eat. I have been slowly but steadily losing weight since I joined about 2.5 months ago (down 22 lbs). I do get some regular exercise, but it is a goal of mine to increase my exercise and add weight training, as I have learned that will also help with some of the other PCOS symptoms.

It can be done, don't let anyone tell you it can't!
  • mona_patty
    mona_patty Posts: 170
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS since 2002?? Yes, it's is a bit harder especially if you eat too much wheat (breads, cereals, etc) also milk is suppose to be bad for us, But anything is possible if you exercise and eat healthy. No matter if you lose weight or not, keep exercising..... Never lose hope. I have not yet completed a year....... still few more months to go.

I was overweight in my 20's,,, finally @ 33 I have been focused on fitness and nutrition. Here is a pic on my progress..... I achieved my 40 lbs in April (before my vacation)

DISCLAIMER: MY TICKER SAYS 36 LBS,,,,, I WAS IN VACATION FOR 2 WEEKS LOL

547114_4667484290185_1544547538_n.jpg
  • EmmarrD
    EmmarrD Posts: 69
    Options
    Thank you all so much.
    I'm going to start cutting out carbs and making sure I eat small snacks throughout the day. It is so encouraging to read and see the results you have all had!
  • whyhelloheart
    whyhelloheart Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I, too, have PCOS! I was diagnosed when I was 18 and back then I lost around 30 pounds. I gained it all back and then some. I've been working out since January and now I'm down 30. Only 70 more to go! :D
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I have pcos also - feel free to add me
    overe 100lbs down and countin :)
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. While not insulin resistant yet, I am right on the edge of it. I take a cinnamon/chromium supplement everyday that does seem to help. I was previously on Metformin but the stomach pains were more than I could handle. Im not going to say it's not hard, cause it is but it can be done. It has taken me nearly a year now to lose the 23 lbs I have but I am headed in the right direction. I did slip and stop counting/exercising for a couple months in the fall.
  • siewekegirl
    siewekegirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PCOS here probably my whole life really but not traditionally diagnosed until I was 22 - I am 35. Since December 1st I am down 40lbs (I have lost 64lbs since my child was born 18 months ago). I am on Fortamet (extended release Glucophage) daily - this all started when we started trying to have a baby. I am eating about 1500 calories a day - very few carbs (and if so then usually whole grains and low glycemic fruits and veggies) - and I exercise 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes. I do a little bit of everything. Make sure you don't only focus on your weight but also measure yourself and look at your inches and then overall just how you feel. You can do it and yes, it is harder but it can be done for sure. feel free to add me.
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would love to get in touch with other women with PCOS who are trying to become healthier :) Add me if you would like!
  • Thurman87
    Thurman87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have pcos.. It's hard to lose weight but I am doing it!!
  • JeicaRose
    JeicaRose Posts: 2
    Options
    I Have PCOS. Am currently awaiting results to see if i have Insulin resistance, but is sounding like i do.
    I'm probably my own worst enemy when it comes to food. I am rarely home on weekends (partner races cars so we are often traveling around the country side and i cook food while away but its normally easy food like hamburgers, not real nutritional food).

I have found that Acupuncture combined with eating smaller portion sizes at main meals has helped me to lose weight. Before i started acupuncture i had tried different things to lose weight, even tried a 6 month bootcamp regime and lost no weight at all. Was very discouraged.

I've only just started the acupuncture recently, without changing diet (only portion size) i have lost about 7kgs = about 15lbs in 5months. Its a slow course for me but me and dieting don't really agree. If you dieted as well the weightloss with acupuncture is mean to be more loss in shorter time.

It is possible, you just gotta find what works for you and your body.
  • kellyswitzer
    Options
    Wow, you look great!
  • kellyswitzer
    Options
    Wow, you look great!

Bah, that was a reply to someone earlier in the thread but it didn't post as such. :)
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I HAD pcos.

When I was first diagnosed I was put on Metformin. It made me violently ill. They messed with the dosage for a while but the vomiting turned into ulcers and more. So I stopped taking it and did some research. I found a drug called Spironolactin. I was on it for about a year and a half. My ab scans showed that my cysts had disappeared completely! I have been off it for two years now and still no cysts. I can't say they wont ever come back but that drug was a miracle for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!