Anyone Paleo?

Options
Hello. I'm rather new to MFP and I haven't been using it everyday, more like 3-4 times a week. I eat strictly 100% Paleo so counting calories isn't really necessary. But I do use MFP to keep track of my exercise and weight loss. MFP helped me figure out how many calories I should consume in a day for my work out regime. Anyways, is there anyone else on here that has adapted the Paleo lifestyle? And if you have, how is it working for you in terms of weight loss? How & what do you do to exercise? I'd love to talk to more Paleo'ers!! Thanks for reading!

Replies

• upsydaisy2011
    upsydaisy2011 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've started reducing my carbs and upping my protein but can,t really say I am doing paleo at the moment but I do want to try this as I have heard good things about it. I am in the UK. I have Been struggling with my diet but try to work out 3-4 times a week usually circuit training and body pump classes. I feel fitter but not losing weight so need to tackle my diet so am really interested in speaking to people that have found paleo good for weight loss. Feel free to add me if you like. Good luck with your journey :)
  • heidigerl
    heidigerl Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm paleo but only been using myfitnesspal for a few days so far. I really like it, but have found like you it isn't set up to be able to track our sort of diet. I always seem to go over on the fat & protein but under on the overall calories. I think it would be good to be able to adjust the daily goal settings so that it followed a healthy paleo diet, though even if the settings were amendable, I'm not sure what to set them to!

Even so, I still find it helpful in tracking what I eat & exercise and I use it along with a friend to keep each other accountable and share our progress with each other.
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow the default diary plan. You can customize your macros. Go into My Home, Goalsm and change your macro percentages. I have been following an IF eating plan for quite a while and just started the Whole30 paleo challenge
  • Heatherrr2
    Heatherrr2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just started Paleo myself, have a pretty intense 30 days ahead! Add me if you like we can help each other out :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly paleo, though Im not 100% strict at all. More 80/20. I lift heavy and do a couple of HIIT and metcons a week. I eat for performance rather than weightloss, usually eating around 2000 calories a day (ish).
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely into Paleo/Primal/lower carb living...it definitely works best with my body! I tried to adjust the trackers on the site too to try to just eliminate calorie counting all together and just watch my carbs, but it wouldn't save the settings. :( But like you, I like being able to track my weight and activity...plus, I am still able to see my total carbs and also on the mobile app I can see my percentages if I end up choosing to do a certain percentage of fat to protein to carbs. :)
  • heidigerl
    heidigerl Posts: 2
    Options
    If I change the figures/ percentages...what should I be aiming for on a proper paleo diet? Not for body building, just daily health.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I found the Paleo Diet way when I discovered that too many carbs and, more importantly, dairy, did not agree with my body. It took some time for me to rule these in as the culprits behind my acne and chronic pain. HOwever, I do not follow it strictly, as I don't really have to, but do enjoy sharing recipes, menu ideas, etc related to this type of living. Friend me and maybe we can help each other through it all! BTW - anyone here can friend me, the more the better! :)
  • itsCheek
    itsCheek Posts: 104
    Options
    I was Paleo but have since gone Vegan (I know, sounds weird, right?) I highly recommend these posts by me, which also have links to more Paleo recipe sites! hehe

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/985524-delicious-gf-and-paleo-banana-bread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/982631-my-paleo-shepherd-s-pie-recipe
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hello. I'm rather new to MFP and I haven't been using it everyday, more like 3-4 times a week. I eat strictly 100% Paleo so counting calories isn't really necessary. But I do use MFP to keep track of my exercise and weight loss. MFP helped me figure out how many calories I should consume in a day for my work out regime. Anyways, is there anyone else on here that has adapted the Paleo lifestyle? And if you have, how is it working for you in terms of weight loss? How & what do you do to exercise? I'd love to talk to more Paleo'ers!! Thanks for reading!

What is Paleo?
  • Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    Options

What is Paleo?

I'm not paleo, I'm vegetarian, but the paleo diet is primarily based on cutting out processed foods. It is sometimes referred to as "the caveman diet" because you eat what would have been accessible to people prior to modern farming and bulk food production. You eat natural whole foods such as organic meats and seasonal fruits and vegetables. You wouldn't eat dairy or anything else that requires pasturization, processed grains, processed sugars etc. It is an extremely healthy diet, but requires a lot of devotion and willpower (in my opinion).
  • noraht
    noraht Posts: 21
    Options
    Amazon had 7 or 8 free paleo recipe books that I down loaded to my kindle. some great recipes in them.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    British ultra low carb Primal eater. I have been eating Primal since last summer and I love it!! :-)
  • Lilloise
    Lilloise Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not Paleo (I like cappuccinos too much) but am also interested in whether anyone has had weight loss success with this approach. My diet seems to be gradually moving in the Paleo direction so I'm keen to hear any success stories.
  • BijouNoii
    BijouNoii Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello Lilloise,

While I have adopted a paleo lifestyle - I do not believe in dogma. Therefore, there are foods I believe are still good for me and in moderation (OMG the occasional potato and some dairy goodness!). I have cut all grains, legumes, processed food, most sugars (still have honey and maple syrup) and I follow the simple guidelines at http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-101/ . I also ensure I have longer sleep, spend more time outside and change my training routine.

I made the switch three weeks ago and I am starting to see huge health improvement. I still drink my daily-ish latte, but I use organic milk (what a difference in taste!) and I just don't gulp milk by the jug anymore (not at that price! LOL). I really do not find paleo cumbersome, so far I have made an easy switch - even with the husband and son.

I put a hold of the Whole30 Challenge book at the library, and apparently it is a bit stricter food wise. I guess I will see when I start it!
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've recently started adapting to the Paleo Diet, im about 9 days in, it was really hard the first couple of days. I love toast, wheat breads w seeds are my favorite, and im mexican so lets face it, i want a damn tortilla w everything. BUT thats why im over weight. Since I started the cleaner caveman diet, i feel lighter, i am more in tuned to what foods make my body bloat. I have lost 3 lbs so far. I miss milk and cheese so much, but i believe that this really is a great diet for me. Once i hit a plateau in my weight loss i really didnt know what else to do other than alter my diet. I love the fact that im allowed to eat bacon!! Im working on eating more veggies vs fruits right now because of the benefits with more veggies in this diet, but obviously still a work in progress and i can only hope to learn more and get better with it day after day. My cheats consists of Honey in my Green tea and i enjoy the Almond milk!
  • dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I'm officially starting a 30 day paleo challenge tomorrow after two failed attempts:( wish me luck!
  • LazyDaise
    LazyDaise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have cut processed food, grains and legumes from my diet. Massive fan of goat's cheese and cups of tea so that had to stay! I'm having good success in terms of weight loss and find it really east to stick to as I love meat. Feel free to add me!
  • SaraJane1011
    SaraJane1011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My family and I are 3 days into the Paleo lifestyle and I LOVE it. My husband and daughter are not as enthusiastic as I am about it because he loves bread and my daughter (who is only 2) was becoming a junk food addict. Our change is mostly for her because I was sick of her asking for candy and want her to learn to love veggies! I have found that the most important thing in this change is that we cook together! My husband works a rotating fire fighters schedule so he is home during the week days often so I send him a grocery list while I am at work and he starts our meals and then when I get home we finish together (I'm lucky enough to get to do the dishes : ) Most recipes I find are for 4 to 5 people which is great because there is always left overs for us to take to work the next day. We trying to become 100% Paleo but the expense is a bit much in the beginning when you are starting out because you need to get a lot of basics, i.e. aminos, coconut butter, etc. but my goal is to be 100% by 30 days.