Advice for a half-marathon trainee?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I have been using MFP since the first of the year, with good results. But as of late, I'm not sure than I am training optimally for my upcoming half-marathon. I seem to be tired and hungry all the time, but I still wind up averaging 50 to 60 miles per week along with daily weight lifting. I have a steady diet of eggs, oatmeal, chicken, yogurt, and tons of fruits and veggies (along with whey protein for post workout). My question is, how many calories am I actually netting each day? My food totals around 2500 per day, and my running burns around 1200. I don't know how my BMR effects my calorie balance, and I fear that I might be putting my body into starvation mode. I am 19 years old, 6 feet, 3 inches tall, and weigh 175 pounds, and around 9 percent body fat. I am happy with maintaining this weight. I appreciate any advice from fellow endurance trainers or nutrition experts. Thank you in advance

Replies

• donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    50 to 60 miles a week seems to be very high for training for a 1/2 marathon. Not sure what program that you are following but I'm training right now for a full and averaging 35-45 a week. I'm using the FIRST training program. It sets 3 quality runs per week (1 interval, tempo and long) with either 2 days of cross or subbing an easy run for 1 of the cross days. It also demands 2 rest days for recovery. Just ran a 1/2 last week and ran a PB. Personally if I was running 50-60 miles (with any additional training) per week I don't think I could maintain the day to day routine. As far as calorie intake, I average around 2150 a day and seem to have the energy to complete the targets set in the program.
  • JakeHoyes
    JakeHoyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    well my high mileage also helps me meet my daily calorie goals. and I'm actually training for a fast time for this 1/2, not just to finish.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough. I am 53, 6'0", 178 Lbs, around 10 to 12% bodyfat, and run most weeks between 65 and 80 miles a week without weights and eat usually over 3000 per day.

You should probably increase your daily intake by at least 500 cal per day. Watch the scale for a couple of weeks to see what effect it has. You will recover better from your workouts.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Run your stats through something like this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Add the calories you burn from the running back in as extra calories. I'm eating 3000 - 5000 on my running days depending on intensity and miles ran that day. I cut back to 2500 on rest days.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In that training mode, you need to nourish your body and fuel it for your runs. Even if you are still trying to lose weight, you need to eat your exercise calories.

Set MFP to lose 1 lb/week. Eat those NET calories. For example, if MFP says eat 1800 to lose 1 lb/wk, and you burn 1000 calories in a longer run, you need to eat 2800 calories. You will still lose weight. If you don't make it to 2800, you should come close--2400+.

Continue to eat quality foods. Eat a Clif bar or the like 30-60 min before your run. Have a good recovery drink to replenish your glycogen. Plus you should have some cake or ice cream (or beer or cheeseburgers, whatever you prefer)--don't overdo it, but you sound like you are earning a little treat now and then. Even with a treat, you should stay within your allowed calories easily.

Good luck.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    well my high mileage also helps me meet my daily calorie goals. and I'm actually training for a fast time for this 1/2, not just to finish.

And exactly what are your net calorie goals? See my earlier post, as well as the others in the thread. You need to fuel your body with endurance exercise.
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    The 50 to 60 miles per week is very high for a half marathon training program, even for a fast time. Training plans usually focus on quality of the workout, not quantity. So you will usually have in a week one speed workout, one tempo workout, one long run and two to three easy recovery runs (short distances) for between those. Even when training for a marathon 5-6 days a week, I topped out at 60 miles (I too now use the FIRST training program which is 3 days a week running and cross training on the off days).

Also, it sounds like you are focusing on protein for recovery but after your runs, especially the long ones, you really need to refuel with carbs (glucose and sucrose is preferential). I stick with a 3:1 carb to protein ratio to make it simple and try to intake this within 60 minutes to provide maximum benefit. For running, you are utilizing the fuel in your muscles to drive you which comes from the carbs. Yes, you do break muscle fiber and need to repair those but it isn't as drastic as strength training. My best guess to your hunger is that your body is starved for carbs.

Poke around the web as there is a lot of good information on refueling after running. Hopefully this helps you out!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Personally "just" finishing hasn't been an issue for me for a while now either, mind you it is the first and most important step in clocking a fast time. What I said was only my opinion right or wrong. For me it works, for you it might not be the thing. Anyway, train well and succeed. Good luck.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, eat back your exercise calories and make sure you're hitting your carb/protien goals.

You may be in an issue where you're overtraining as well. Have you run a 13 mile distance in the past? For me the "just finishing" in a first event is more important than time. Overtraining can and does hurt you in the long run because your body will be more injury prone.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    In addition, you likely shouldn't be strength training every day - rest is when muscle is built, not when lifting.

I had the same exact feeling when training for a half last year, then joined here and tracked - I was shy about 800 calories BEFORE running. I didn't realize I was starving myself - I just wasn't hungry.

I'd add at least one solid "rest" day (if it's mind numbing, you may need more speed work, if it feels good - there you go!) in addition to being careful to eat back all your exercise calories. I went through this every time I ramped up my miles for a race - I ended up having the best luck actually working with a human nutritionist to sort out how to incorporate my exercise calories over the week so that I wouldn't end up 2500 calories shy on a LDS day and then starve on a rest day. She helped me figure out how to even things out over the week, then add in pre- and post- run snacks to make sure I met my caloric needs. It totally helped. I've learned how my body does, but not the generic formulas to share with you, so I'm not sure how to explain it other than that.

Good luck with your half!
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump.