Protein doesn't do it for me - what should I do?

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Your op kind of confuses me, what sort of meals do you have generally? Cereal for breakfast, bread with no filling for lunch and pasta or rice with no meat for dinner? You must be eating some protein in your regular diet, what do you normally eat? You don't have to cut out all carbs just to increase your protein, although obviously to balance out your macros either fat or carbs will have to be reduced in order to bring up protein.

I normally have cereal (grape nuts) or porridge with fruit for breakfast, omelette, salad or soup for lunch, then normally a cooked meal for dinner is anything from stir fry to fish burgers to falafel to pasta to goulash to curries.

You are saying that to bring up protein, I have to reduce carbs or fat - well, that's exactly part of my problem because I find it difficult to eat more protein without eating more fat/carbs and therefore overall cals.

try just changing /adding protein to your breakfast.

for elevenses i sometimes have cottage cheese with a tablespoon of dry oats, berries and honey - this is quite cerealy - you might like it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out carbs completely, but I suspect your problem is that you aren't eating enough. How many calories was your lunch? Try to be in the 500-600 range.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Your op kind of confuses me, what sort of meals do you have generally? Cereal for breakfast, bread with no filling for lunch and pasta or rice with no meat for dinner? You must be eating some protein in your regular diet, what do you normally eat? You don't have to cut out all carbs just to increase your protein, although obviously to balance out your macros either fat or carbs will have to be reduced in order to bring up protein.

I normally have cereal (grape nuts) or porridge with fruit for breakfast, omelette, salad or soup for lunch, then normally a cooked meal for dinner is anything from stir fry to fish burgers to falafel to pasta to goulash to curries.

You are saying that to bring up protein, I have to reduce carbs or fat - well, that's exactly part of my problem because I find it difficult to eat more protein without eating more fat/carbs and therefore overall cals.

try just changing /adding protein to your breakfast.

for elevenses i sometimes have cottage cheese with a tablespoon of dry oats, berries and honey - this is quite cerealy - you might like it.

:heart: love the reference:heart:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Just a suggestion, everyone's tastes are different, but if you take Greek yogurt and mix it with flavored protein powder along with some fruit, you have a sweet mixture that may help satisfy your cravings. I know you are resistant to protein powder due to cost but you can go cheaper with your choices there as sales are run all the time.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I can never get to my protein goal (not keen on using powder, for a number of reasons, one being money),

I haven't looked at your stats/intake/workout regimen so I'm not saying shakes are necessary for you but

- If bought in bulk from a company that isn't ripping you off protein powder is actually the cheapest source of protein around, per gram
    - If your other fears relate to it being a 'processed food' that's also something you don't need to worry about.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you go over your carbs and sugar but purely with fruit and veg does that make it okay? xx
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that you are going to have to decide what you want more: the body you talked about or the food you talked about. You don't have to give up everything you like, but you do have to make some sacrifices

If you're serious about fat loss (and that's what you mean when you say you want to "tone"), you are going to have to eat more protein because you cannot retain the lean mass you have without it, let alone adding more. Chicken, turkey, pork, fish, certain kinds of beef, beans, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, egg whites ... these are all relatively low-calorie forms of protein.

8 oz of Greek yogurt at breakfast and 8 oz of lean turkey breast at dinner is about 400 calories and 80 g of protein. Throw in some eggs somewhere and you're probably at your protein goal for a grand total of 600 to 700 calories. If you're netting 1500, that's not even half your daily allotment. You have plenty of room for a serving of bread or a bowl of cereal.
  • Deusteama78
    Options
    Pea Protein Isolate
    5kgs for £35 at ironscience.co.uk amazing value
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a classic example of somebody on a 1200 (or lower) calorie diet finally understanding why 1200 (or lower) calories is too low because it's difficult to meet your macros on such a small amount of calories.

nowhere has the OP mentioned her calorie goal and her profile is locked, but i'd wager that's the problem in a nutshell.

if you can't meet your protein macro on your current calorie goal then you can use protein shakes, change your diet, or increase your calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you had eggs and milk for your lunch? like scrambled egg or an omlette?

how many cals do you have to work with? i get about 125g protein with NET 1800 cals without too much trouble.

Yeh, like an omelette :-)
    How do you do that? I am on 1500 net at the moment (very much sedentary) and can hardly scrape into the 70ies ...

today:
    Breakfast cereal & semi skimmed milk - 314cals, 12g protein
    Lunch salad & cottage cheese - 381 cals (but you could have fat free cottage cheese for les cals) 30g protein
    Dinner: haddock with spinach & cheese risotto 547 cals 63g protein.

105g, 1242 cals without including any snacks!
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, women can get toned, cut, and gain a moderate amount of muscle without eating 100 grams of protein a day. At 36 (female), I did it on oatmeal, tons of veggies, and 1 chicken breast a day while lifting weights and doing cardio 3-4 times a week. I even ate brown sugar with my oats and full fat ranch dressing on my salads! Going to extremes (i.e. cutting carbs completely or inhaling insane amounts of protein) isn't always necessary, what is necessary is consistency over time. :)
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options

You don't have to cut them out completely though, just cut back. Your diary isn't open so I don't know what your portions are like, but if you're having 80g of porridge for instance, try having 50 or 60g instead, or use skim milk instead of full to free up calories. Instead of 200 calories worth of carbs at dinner for instance, have 150 calories and make up the difference in protein.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a classic example of somebody on a 1200 (or lower) calorie diet finally understanding why 1200 (or lower) calories is too low because it's difficult to meet your macros on such a small amount of calories.

nowhere has the OP mentioned her calorie goal and her profile is locked, but i'd wager that's the problem in a nutshell.

if you can't meet your protein macro on your current calorie goal then you can use protein shakes, change your diet, or increase your calories.

... and this is a really helpful response, because ...?

1. If you had read the posts carefully before bringing out the pitchfork, you would have noticed that I have mentioned my calorie goal - which is exactly where it ought to be.
    2. If you don't have anything productive or helpful to say, why say anything at all? Are you bored? There are tons of nice free games on the internet that you can waste your time with, instead of making pointless comments that nobody needs.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see what other suggestions come up, as I'm working with a nutritionist who has asked me to eliminate all grains and starches (basically bread, crackers, rice, oats, pasta, potatoes - everything carbohydrate except fruit & veg) from my diet. Protein is fine and dandy, up to a point, but it just doesn't fill the gap, and I'm finding the complete absence of oats in particular really problematic - I need something to really chew!!!! Quite apart from that, I have actually gained weight, rather than lost it, in the first two weeks, so I'm increasingly skeptical.

ETA: This is an attempt to break a nine-month-long plateau...I would never even consider this otherwise, but I'm absolutely desperate to lose the remaining 20-30lbs.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    you had eggs and milk for your lunch? like scrambled egg or an omlette?

how many cals do you have to work with? i get about 125g protein with NET 1800 cals without too much trouble.

Yeh, like an omelette :-)
    How do you do that? I am on 1500 net at the moment (very much sedentary) and can hardly scrape into the 70ies ...

today:
    Breakfast cereal & semi skimmed milk - 314cals, 12g protein
    Lunch salad & cottage cheese - 381 cals (but you could have fat free cottage cheese for les cals) 30g protein
    Dinner: haddock with spinach & cheese risotto 547 cals 63g protein.

105g, 1242 cals without including any snacks!

That sounds yummy! Will keep the spinach and cottage cheese in mind, they are some of my favs!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, women can get toned, cut, and gain a moderate amount of muscle without eating 100 grams of protein a day. At 36 (female), I did it on oatmeal, tons of veggies, and 1 chicken breast a day while lifting weights and doing cardio 3-4 times a week. I even ate brown sugar with my oats and full fat ranch dressing on my salads! Going to extremes (i.e. cutting carbs completely or inhaling insane amounts of protein) isn't always necessary, what is necessary is consistency over time. :)

100g of protein is not an insane amount, it's a minimum guideline backed up by studies, which say it's needed to prevent muscle loss as the person is cutting. Some muscle will be lost, but if we can minimize it, we should. It's much easier to keep muscle, than build it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

That sounds yummy! Will keep the spinach and cottage cheese in mind, they are some of my favs!

they are lovely together in a salad!
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I enjoy carbs as well. I'm not a fitness professional by any means, but what I am doing is working for me so I'll give you advice based on that. Instead of just having eggs for lunch, have an egg sandwich. There's nothing wrong with throwing your eggs on two slices of whole wheat bread. You don't have to cut carbs to lose weight! The key to losing weight is finding what works for you so that you can ultimately make a lifestyle change. Meaning, you will learn to satisfy yourself while keeping the weight off instead of constant feeling restricted. Restricting yourself may work for a week or two, but it's not a long-term solution. Sure, you will need to restrict yourself to a certain extent, but if you are allowed to have the things you enjoy in moderation, you won't feel the need to splurge on a regular basis.

Edited to answer your question directly:

Yes, protein is important, but there is nothing wrong with eating your protein on a yummy carb-filled piece of deliciousness if that's the way you enjoy it.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

this video is very long winded, i'm trying to remember where they answer the question, how much is really needed.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public? Or add me so I can take a look and offer better suggestions?

As far as carbs go, I would incorporate them into your meals, but try a half portion. Like I might have tuna salad, but instead of making a sandwich with it, I'll have one slice of toast on the side.