I am cold, all the time

Options
2»

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    try using a heater

I know this sounds crazy, but it just might work.
  • cmkarnes
    cmkarnes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem..feeling cold. It started several years ago with no seemingly apparent cause. My thyroid related levels and blood counts are within normal limits, and I do not have Reynauds. Anyone feeling cold should definitely rule those things out. I wear a down coat nearly all the time - indoors and outdoors in autumn/winter. I'm a nurse, so I'm on my feet all day and that level of activity keeps me feeling comfortable in short sleeved scrubs. However, as soon as I sit down for a few minutes, I start getting chilly. I just layer up and go on with life. I buy really cute gear to keep me warm so at least I enjoy wearing it!

Crissy
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I weigh 145 and need to get down to 130 as well. I'm cold all the time too. Hands and feet are the worst! When my feet are freezing, everything is freezing. Sometimes, the only way I can get warm is to take a warm bath. I have hypothyroidism so I'm thinking that has something to do with my issue.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This was me all the time... during a decade of eating too little. I now fuel my body correctly (eat 2000+) and strength train, and I now tend to even live on the warmer side of life.

I still have friends who are cold all the time from not eating enough.
  • caribear1984
    Options
    I am freezing all the time after losing weight. The thing that I have found to help the most is drinking hot liquids, like tea or lemon water. I always have my insulated mug with me now. That and a heating pad on my lower back keeps me comfortable.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    About the last two weeks or so, I have been cold.

I had a complete physical in October, so I know my health is fine.

I think it's the missing insulation.

I've been drinking hot herbal teas at night, and piling on the blankets.

Will my body adjust to being less insulated as time goes on?
  • jbnl1991
    jbnl1991 Posts: 149
    Options
    I was always cold until my Doctor found that I had low storage iron. I have been taking an iron supplement for the past two years and have definitely noticed a difference. I am warmer now. Make a note to ask your Doctor at your next physical.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold in the winter. Heck, on a hot summer day, I can even break into goosebumps and shiver just moving from the sun into the shade. And I have been this way my whole life, even as a thin, active child, and it doesn't matter if I'm 240# or 120# or eating a lot or limiting my intake or if I'm exercising regularly or being a sloth. My thyroid function is low but not low enough to be outside of normal ranges requiring treatment so I figure it's part of that.

So I layer up, buy cute layers with an emphasis on Merino wool or Smartwool when I can find a good deal on it. And I love Cold Weather UnderArmor. Wow, that stuff keeps me warmer than any other kind of long underwear under my other layers.

The warmth from exercising only keeps me warm for a few minutes. I would have to do jumping jacks every 10 minutes or so. I regularly lift heavy, run, spin and do other fitness classes and I haven't noticed that it makes any long-term difference.

Right now, my husband is in the living room, laying on the couch, in a short-sleeve t-shirt, sweatpants, no shoes or socks and he's just fine. I'm in the kitchen with the doors closed, with a space heater going, and have a blanket over my legs/feet and a shawl over my shoulders.

I don't understand why he's not frozen solid. Yet, in the summer, I'm out on the hottest days, feeling great and loving it while he prefers staying in the cool house, preferring the even cooler basement. I wanna move to someplace warm like Mexico and he would rather move to Alaska. Oy veh!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Since losing a some weight this year, I'm cold all the time too. Especially if I stop moving for a bit (like when I'm at the computer).

Layers - it's all I can do. Polar fleece helps. I've been swearing a light scarf in the house too - it's silly.
  • shella_bella
    Options
    Go to your doctor and ask to get your iron and vitamin B12 tested. You could be anemic. When your iron is low your blood can't circulate properly causing you to be cold. It also causes you to be exhausted constantly
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Herbs and spices that improve circulation like ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, garlic, paired with warm comfort foods like oatmeal, chicken broth, miso soup, have helped me a lot. I have also recently been studying that while blood circulation is important, it gets help from the heart, but lymph circulation can only be stimulated with exercise, so the jumping jacks suggester may have had a point. There are also a few yoga breathing exercises that stimulate energy flow. These internal furnace-building mechanisms are more efficient for me than wearing more clothes. Be patient with yourself, it takes a long time to find the right recipe for your body.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold in the winter. Heck, on a hot summer day, I can even break into goosebumps and shiver just moving from the sun into the shade. And I have been this way my whole life, even as a thin, active child, and it doesn't matter if I'm 240# or 120# or eating a lot or limiting my intake or if I'm exercising regularly or being a sloth. My thyroid function is low but not low enough to be outside of normal ranges requiring treatment so I figure it's part of that.

So I layer up, buy cute layers with an emphasis on Merino wool or Smartwool when I can find a good deal on it. And I love Cold Weather UnderArmor. Wow, that stuff keeps me warmer than any other kind of long underwear under my other layers.

The warmth from exercising only keeps me warm for a few minutes. I would have to do jumping jacks every 10 minutes or so. I regularly lift heavy, run, spin and do other fitness classes and I haven't noticed that it makes any long-term difference.

Right now, my husband is in the living room, laying on the couch, in a short-sleeve t-shirt, sweatpants, no shoes or socks and he's just fine. I'm in the kitchen with the doors closed, with a space heater going, and have a blanket over my legs/feet and a shawl over my shoulders.

I don't understand why he's not frozen solid. Yet, in the summer, I'm out on the hottest days, feeling great and loving it while he prefers staying in the cool house, preferring the even cooler basement. I wanna move to someplace warm like Mexico and he would rather move to Alaska. Oy veh!

This sounds like my husband and I, lol!! I'm always cold, but I'm slightly hypo with Raynauds, which is super annoying.
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Under-active thyroid and low iron are the two things that come to mind. I'm dealing with both of them. Both of which you should see your doctor, have them run some blood work and tell you how much, if any, changes you need to make. Until then, bundle up. ;)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I perpetually drink hot tea and coffee during the winter to warm myself from the inside out.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If your fingers and toes are especially cold, and especially difficult to warm up, you could have the same vascular disorder I do: Raynaud's. My fingers and toes are extremely pale when exposed to cold (and for Raynaud's sufferers that can mean 65 degrees Fahrenheit), and get red and puffy when they finally warm up, but that's difficult to accomplish.

Layering doesn't really do it for those with Raynaud's, unless we want to walk around our house with gloves on.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

I think it is a man thing. My kid rarely wears a coat. Is often barefoot in the house even though its FREEZING in here. Sleeps w/a fan on full blast - has one thin blanket and often opens the windows even though it is like 30 degrees out! He also isn't a fan of the hot weather I love.
  • Asherberry
    Asherberry Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am cold all of the time too. I keep a space heater at my desk at work. Even when it's 75 degree at my desk, I'm still cold. I have been meaning to make an appointment with my doctor, because its getting ridiculous. Good luck!